Gratuity Breakdown

kpadalik

Even though most of the tipped crew comes from all over, I'm wondering if there isn't some legal reason why they are gratuities and not part of the fare.

More I think of it, I'm sure that Carnival sails around (see what I did there) a bunch of legal issues. They are based out of Doral, FL, so they have US FLSA laws to deal with, but the ships are under a Panama flag of convenience which covers the on-board crew.

When I book my cruise I do it via their web site, but it could be that when you do the gratuities, they charge it on the ship, therefore it's not taxable US income or something like that.

Also, in the tip allotment, it must be said they get free room and board (quality wise could be debated), and from tales told, free booze and condoms.

I'm guessing that's why last cruise, the people working Lido in the morning don't seem all there :)

I believe the automatic tips are not included in the fare to make the cruise look cheaper.

I believe the automatic tips are not included in the fare to make the cruise look cheaper.

Probably a part of it as well - in booking a hotel room for the night before I kept seeing all these great rates until I dug deeper - no, 1 king bed will not work for 4 people, no I don't want to pay now, taxes, etc... By the time I sorted it out a $79 room was $139.

Thanks for that link, Sadie. Very interesting and it makes sense to me.

If I spent time thinking about it, I could easily get annoyed by that "alternative services" or whatever it's called fee. It is rather vague. So, I don't. :D Really, $10 a day for my family isn't going to change my vacation budget that much. One less martini for me.

Edited by momof3cruisers

Carnival is coming out with new Skip The Tip Cruises for 2018 You get to make your own bed, clean your dishes and swab the deck each night. Best of all no worrying about the annoying tipping controversy.