HAL vs RCi

Bradison

Hello,

Just came back from a cruise on RCI's Oasis OTS 2 weeks ago. Booked an Alaskan cruise (June 2017) on Radiance while on board. Screwed up the booking by putting the second room in my kid's name. I knew that either my father and step mother or my sister and BIL would use the second room but wasnt sure which. Found out they both want to go so we need 3 cabins.

Went to our TA yesterday and because of my screw up nobody will get the sizable OBC but us. The 2 other cabins start from scratch. This caused us to investigate other lines. Our TA is a big RCI/Celebrity fan so she pushed Celebrity on us saying it was better than RCI (same company but more classy). When I asked about HAL she said they had much nicer rooms but were much more expensive.

Came home and did homework on HAL website and found 3 verandah cabins on SB side for NB cruise (Noordam) on 6/4/17 for $1500 less than Radiance and $2000 less than Celebrity (X was priced with the Go Best promo which is pretty nice). I put them on courtesy hold. TA is not open today so curious how the lines compare,. I am very familiar with how RC cruises but no idea about HAL. Very excited about Glacier Bay vs Hubbard Bay. Is that the most significant difference? Would love to see any photos of a mid ship verandah on deck 8 or equivalent. Youtube is full of Oasis/Allure cabin videos but very few Noordam videos. I got spoiled. Does Noordam have a sister ship that might have videos?

Thanks for your patience with the long winded question.

Don

Noordam is a beautiful ship and I enjoyed everything about it, from its fresh squeezed orange juice (free), its BB King performers, its fresh flowers, its beautiful artwork and more.

If you can't find Noordam videos its sister-ships are Westerdam, Oosterdam and Zuiderdam.

Edited by CruisermanVA

Noordam is a beautiful ship and I enjoyed everything about it, from its fresh squeezed orange juice (free), its BB King performers, its fresh flowers, its beautiful artwork and more.

If you can't find Noordam videos its sister-ships are Westerdam, Oosterdam and Zuiderdam.

Thank you very much

We've sailed on the Noordam twice and also on the Nieuw Amsterdam which is very similar. We are also RCI cruisers. The Noordam is a beautiful ship and I think you will really enjoy cruising HAL to Alaska. HAL is a totally different experience from Royal so don't compare the two. We think the cabins on HAL are much nicer and larger than what you find on the Oasis class unless you are staying in Royal's largest suite. We've stayed in the SB cabins and I think you will be very happy with that cabin class on HAL.

Have you tried CC to find reviews on the cabin you have chosen? I know I've seen reviews with pictures so try using the search function under cabin reviews. Enjoy your cruise!

Google "hal cabin photos" and you should be able to find lots of pictures. The decor may vary from ship to ship but the layout will be the same. Noordam is a Vista class ship and is slightly smaller and carries about 600 less people than Radiance.

I prefer HAL to RCI but I don't need rock climbing walls or water slides.

Edited by Scrapnana

We are in a similar situation. We were on the Oasis this past January, and I have a hold on the Oosterdam for next February. The Oasis is a beautiful ship, and I am glad we tried it, but it is just too big. Also, we noticed a drop in quality--especially the Windjammer. This is a tough decision, because we are Diamond members with RCI, so we are giving up a lot of perks. We are aft lovers, so I initially reserved the same on the Oosterdam. I subsequently subscribed to the HAL boards and quickly discovered the two cabins with the double wide balconies, so I was able to nab 4166. We have to decide by tomorrow--The main thing holding me back is the outrageous price for unlimited internet, that is reportedly a lot slower than on the Oasis...

We are in a similar situation. We were on the Oasis this past January, and I have a hold on the Oosterdam for next February. The Oasis is a beautiful ship, and I am glad we tried it, but it is just too big. Also, we noticed a drop in quality--especially the Windjammer. This is a tough decision, because we are Diamond members with RCI, so we are giving up a lot of perks. We are aft lovers, so I initially reserved the same on the Oosterdam. I subsequently subscribed to the HAL boards and quickly discovered the two cabins with the double wide balconies, so I was able to nab 4166. We have to decide by tomorrow--The main thing holding me back is the outrageous price for unlimited internet, that is reportedly a lot slower than on the Oasis...

We were shocked how good the Voom WiFi worked on Oasis. Other than the fact that my wife kept kicking me off of it (I was cheap and only got one package per room) it was flawless. Didn't realize how much I would use the WiFi on a cruise. Slow internet will frustrate the DW.

The size of Oasis didn't bother me. I really enjoyed the variety of options (restaurants, activities, space) that she offered. Worried that Noordam will be a big change that we are not used to. However, we have discovered that we are pretty easy to please and do not sweat the small stuff. If the ship is clean, and the people friendly, and the food decent we will be good.

I have read many times that Alaska cruises are not about the ship but the itinerary and I think HAL looks much better than RCI or Celebrity. Very much looking forward to a different line.

BTW, we have a March cruise booked on Anthem to the Bahamas. Really looking forward to that trip just for the ship. Variety is the spice of life.