Pool use on Alaska Cruise

gooch47, definitely take the swimsuits. Explorer OTS offers the Solarium, an indoor/outdoor pool and lounge area with a covered glass roof. We found the Solarium nice and toasty during our Alaska cruise on Serenade. While it is an adults only area, during inclement weather and select hours, the ship may permit the Solarium pool to be used by persons under age 16... provided they are directly supervised by a parent or guardian. And on our HAL Alaska cruise in September, we (surprisingly) experienced a rare pleasant 72 degrees in Ketchikan! Enjoy your cruise! :)

gooch47, definitely take the swimsuits. Explorer OTS offers the Solarium, an indoor/outdoor pool and lounge area with a covered glass roof. We found the Solarium nice and toasty during our Alaska cruise on Serenade. While it is an adults only area, during inclement weather and select hours, the ship may permit the Solarium pool to be used by persons under age 16... provided they are directly supervised by a parent or guardian. And on our HAL Alaska cruise in September, we (surprisingly) experienced a rare pleasant 72 degrees in Ketchikan! Enjoy your cruise! :)

Explorer's solarium does NOT have a glass roof. It is open to the elements.

OP, I would still take the swimsuits. They might be usable the first day or two as well as the last. You can always use the hot tubs also.

Explorer's solarium does NOT have a glass roof. It is open to the elements.

OP, I would still take the swimsuits. They might be usable the first day or two as well as the last. You can always use the hot tubs also.

Thanks for the correction, I checked the Explorer deck plan which stated:

Solarium

The indoor/outdoor pool and lounge area can be covered during inclement weather by a huge glass roof.

Is the cover just never utilized?

Thanks for the correction, I checked the Explorer deck plan which stated:

Solarium

The indoor/outdoor pool and lounge area can be covered during inclement weather by a huge glass roof.

Is the cover just never utilized?

That description is wrong. There is no cover/glass roof whatsoever.

We were on Jewel last year that same week, and the weather was crazy hot (record temps in the 90's) and the pools got a surprising amount of use. I was comfortable wearing a t-shirt on my glacier helicopter tour. They would not run the dogs at the dog sled excursion cuz it was too hot for the dogs.

That was obviously not the norm, but it can happen.