Dawn dry dock-where did all the artwork go ?

JCMass.

Just got off the Dawn yesterday, so much of the artwork was gone it was shocking. The beautiful brass along the stairs near Gatsby's was replaced by dark wood paneling. I understand it is still on the ship in storage. Does anyone but me think it should be put back up ? ? It made that stairway, and gave it the look and feel of ocean liner from another era.

The changes in the Venetian are shocking, the ceiling murals and the art on the walls is all gone. It is hard to say whether what is there now is art. Cagney's has lost all it's charm with the walls so plain. What about the murals along the hallways leading to the Stardust theatre, and the promenade deck ? Even some of the artwork on the hull was painted over and is gone. Does anyone else miss the beautiful Impressionists paintings in LeBistro ? They were reproductions of originals, but very good reproductions. What about the statues by the pool ?

Where did it all go ?

I don't know the answer to your question but I sure hope NCL doesn't redo all the smaller ships' decors. I liked the main dining room décor on the Dawn. We've been on the Escape and Getaway and the new ships seem to favor the décor that makes one feel they are in a hotel with a contemporary design.

Most items are demolished and dumped during a dry dock. There are so few days, there is little time to save anything. As soon as the last passenger is off, the crew started to tear down the public areas down to the steel plating.

Dawn In Dry Dock - Demo and get onto deck to be removed in dumpsters

Dawn_1.jpg

Dawn_21.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

Modern designs for modern times. You may like the old look but most do not, especially when the cruise business sustains and grows by attracting new passengers.... With that they new new modern fresh looks.

On all my cruises i find most of the "art" from the 90's/early 00's on all over the ships to be not very appeasing anyway.

I like the new look.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I must not be modern enough, because I most definitely did not enjoy any of the artwork in Venetian. In fact, I never ate supper there just because of it...it is so disjointed. I really thought they were not done renovating in there my first day LOL

I must not be modern enough, because I most definitely did not enjoy any of the artwork in Venetian. In fact, I never ate supper there just because of it...it is so disjointed. I really thought they were not done renovating in there my first day LOL

I thought I saw some very modernistic paintings in a post dry dock picture of one of the dining rooms. They looked like typical Victorian era paintings with stripes painted across them. My first thought was that they had forgotten to take the packing tape off them.

My guess on this is that it is only a week post dry dock and I would imagine that there are all sorts of finishing touches left to be done, as was the case on the POA post dry dock. If they wanted to save any of the artwork, they certainly could have, they are not required to demolish everything. Some of it may reappear in the coming weeks, or not, depending on the plan.

I thought they did a good job with the POA in refreshing everything while still retaining the feel and flavor of the original ship. Still had the US theme in the public areas. I would hate for all the NCL ships to look the same, inside or out.

Edit: sorry rosebud. Meant to quote the OP, not your post.

Edited by punkincc

I liked the reproduction artwork in the Bistro. Thought it added a touch of class. I really wish they had added an outdoor area to have breakfast and lunch at, much like the jewel-class ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got off the Dawn yesterday, so much of the artwork was gone it was shocking. The beautiful brass along the stairs near Gatsby's was replaced by dark wood paneling. I understand it is still on the ship in storage. Does anyone but me think it should be put back up ? ? It made that stairway, and gave it the look and feel of ocean liner from another era.

The changes in the Venetian are shocking, the ceiling murals and the art on the walls is all gone. It is hard to say whether what is there now is art. Cagney's has lost all it's charm with the walls so plain. What about the murals along the hallways leading to the Stardust theatre, and the promenade deck ? Even some of the artwork on the hull was painted over and is gone. Does anyone else miss the beautiful Impressionists paintings in LeBistro ? They were reproductions of originals, but very good reproductions. What about the statues by the pool ?

Where did it all go ?

They were not all reproductions. There are 4 originals spread out on 4 ships. There was one on the Dawn and one on the Pearl and not sure the location of the other 2.

• 1 month later...