How Do I Get To Trunk Bay

Irish13

My family and I will be going to St Thomas on a RCCL cruise and I have heard amazing things about Trunk Bay and would like to go on our own. The excursions the ship is offering do not have great reviews.

So how do I get to where I would catch the Ferry ?

How much is the Ferry to St Johns ? And how long is the ride ?

Also is the ride to St Johns a very ruff ride I get motion sick?

Once I get there how do I get to the beach ?

Thanks !!!

If you search this forum you'll find these details and more that may interest you. Briefly you hop a 20 - 30 minute taxi to the Red Hook ferry terminal, buy ferry passes and take the 15 min ferry to Cruz Bay, St John. Taxis are waiting to whisk you to the beaches. Round trip cost from Havensight is about $48 - $10 taxi to Red Hook, $7 ferry, $6 - 7 taxi to the beach. A little more for a taxi from Crown Bay to Red Hook.

Would suggest taking an island tour before going to Trunk, the drivers offer a 2-hour tour for $25pp then drop you at the beach. So the $6 - 7 taxi to Trunk is included in that $25 fare. Total cost including the tour is about $66pp. Nice day!

[EDIT] The ferry ride isn't that bad between Red Hook and Cruz Bay. The ship excursionchose through much rougher waters and lasts 45 minutes in comparison.

Edited by blue_water

You think it will cost us $66 total per person ?

It is my husband and two kids

If you search this forum you'll find these details and more that may interest you. Briefly you hop a 20 - 30 minute taxi to the Red Hook ferry terminal, buy ferry passes and take the 15 min ferry to Cruz Bay, St John. Taxis are waiting to whisk you to the beaches. Round trip cost from Havensight is about $48 - $10 taxi to Red Hook, $7 ferry, $6 - 7 taxi to the beach. A little more for a taxi from Crown Bay to Red Hook.

Would suggest taking an island tour before going to Trunk, the drivers offer a 2-hour tour for $25pp then drop you at the beach. So the $6 - 7 taxi to Trunk is included in that $25 fare. Total cost including the tour is about $66pp. Nice day!

[EDIT] The ferry ride isn't that bad between Red Hook and Cruz Bay. The ship excursionchose through much rougher waters and lasts 45 minutes in comparison.

Blue Water's information is always good and accurate so follow his instructions for going to Trunk Bay on-your-own.

You might also consider the "easy way" and taking an excursion through the ship.

Whichever, enjoy your time at Trunk Bay.

You think it will cost us $66 total per person ?

It is my husband and two kids

On your own -

Taxi from Havensight to Red Hook $10

Ferry to Cruz Bay $7

Island tour with drop at Trunk $~25

Taxi from Trunk to ferry $7

Ferry to Red Hook $7

Taxi to Havensight $10

For kids age 2 - 11 the ferry is only $2 round trip

Without the tour it's about $48 (+ entry fee into Trunnk)

Thanks so much for all your help .. Decisions decisions now I just have to decide if we're going to do that or just go to Sapphire Beach like we were originally planned on doing which do you think would be a better day?

On your own -

Taxi from Havensight to Red Hook $10

Ferry to Cruz Bay $7

Island tour with drop at Trunk $~25

Taxi from Trunk to ferry $7

Ferry to Red Hook $7

Taxi to Havensight $10

For kids age 2 - 11 the ferry is only $2 round trip

Without the tour it's about $48 (+ entry fee into Trunnk)

Thanks so much for all your help .. Decisions decisions now I just have to decide if we're going to do that or just go to Sapphire Beach like we were originally planned on doing which do you think would be a better day?

Trunk is beautiful but so is Sapphire, and we would choose Sapphire no question. You'd also have another 2 - 2.5 hours at the beach and the total cost for transportation would be $20pp. So if undecided these points may help.

Sapphire has natural shade and beautiful water and island views. Some of the condo facilities are currently closed like the restaurant and tennis courts, but the condo bldgs are nice. You would find everything you want at Sapphire.

Great webcam and drone video -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

When we docked in St Thomas we took taxi to ferry, got tix and took ferry over and rented a Jeep. You have to be mindful of the times involved with ferry and taxi drive so you are back in time to the ship.

We are going again in June 2017 and are thinking of doing this again. At least then we have control over where we can go and we can go to multiple stops along the way. I'd like to get back to Skinny Legs for a burger (if they are still open!)

I think we have decided (thanks to your help) that we are going to try out Sapphire on this cruise and go to Trunk Bay on our cruise in January. Thanks for sending the link for the beach oh how much would I rather be there today than heading to work this morning. Is there anything I should specifically know about the beach when I get there or the area ?

Trunk is beautiful but so is Sapphire, and we would choose Sapphire no question. You'd also have another 2 - 2.5 hours at the beach and the total cost for transportation would be $20pp. So if undecided these points may help.

Sapphire has natural shade and beautiful water and island views. Some of the condo facilities are currently closed like the restaurant and tennis courts, but the condo bldgs are nice. You would find everything you want at Sapphire.

Great webcam and drone video -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

I think we have decided (thanks to your help) that we are going to try out Sapphire on this cruise and go to Trunk Bay on our cruise in January. Thanks for sending the link for the beach oh how much would I rather be there today than heading to work this morning. Is there anything I should specifically know about the beach when I get there or the area ?

Both are great days!

For Sapphire you'll be dropped close to the dive shop where you pay $9 each for your lounges, you can have the guy take them to a shaded spot to the right (as you face the water) if you'd like. The resort lobby and restaurant are currently closed, but there are restrooms near the dive shop.

The sandier swimming section of the beach is near the dive shop, to the right the entry is rockier but it's a bit quieter there. Just depends on what you want - Sapphire is quieter than Coki for example, but it can be a little crowded by the dive shop on big ship days. You'll see where you want to go when you arrive. Entry is free and although there are condos here the beach is open to the public near the waterline if you are away from the dive shop and in front of the condo bldgs.

The Banana Cabana is a beach grill that makes great Mahi Mahi sandwiches and burgers, ald also sells beer and tropical drinks. They are located between condo bldgs B & C, bldg A is by the dive shop. You can walk there or they have a runner taking orders from the beach. There's also a restaurant behind the marina that has a runner. You can buy rum punch and beer at the dive shop a little cheaper as well.

You'll want cash, the dive shop may require a credit card to rent snorkel gear and other items, I'm not sure. There is a reef to the right and sea grass to the left for snorkeling.

Taxis will stop in to take folks back to the ship, $10pp each way.

Beautiful beach with just enough amenities - I'd much rather be there this morning myself! Bill owns there and many of the owners are nice as well, great place to return for a week...

Thanks so much for all the great info I am printing it out and taking it with me. There was only one part I was not sure about.. You said the beach is open to the public near the waterline .. But if we want our chairs in the shade will it be a problem?

And I am certainly with you I would love to be there this morning!! Have you ever stayed there before?

Both are great days!

For Sapphire you'll be dropped close to the dive shop where you pay $9 each for your lounges, you can have the guy take them to a shaded spot to the right (as you face the water) if you'd like. The resort lobby and restaurant are currently closed, but there are restrooms near the dive shop.

The sandier swimming section of the beach is near the dive shop, to the right the entry is rockier but it's a bit quieter there. Just depends on what you want - Sapphire is quieter than Coki for example, but it can be a little crowded by the dive shop on big ship days. You'll see where you want to go when you arrive. Entry is free and although there are condos here the beach is open to the public near the waterline if you are away from the dive shop and in front of the condo bldgs.

The Banana Cabana is a beach grill that makes great Mahi Mahi sandwiches and burgers, ald also sells beer and tropical drinks. They are located between condo bldgs B & C, bldg A is by the dive shop. You can walk there or they have a runner taking orders from the beach. There's also a restaurant behind the marina that has a runner. You can buy rum punch and beer at the dive shop a little cheaper as well.

You'll want cash, the dive shop may require a credit card to rent snorkel gear and other items, I'm not sure. There is a reef to the right and sea grass to the left for snorkeling.

Taxis will stop in to take folks back to the ship, $10pp each way.

Beautiful beach with just enough amenities - I'd much rather be there this morning myself! Bill owns there and many of the owners are nice as well, great place to return for a week...

Thanks so much for all the great info I am printing it out and taking it with me. There was only one part I was not sure about.. You said the beach is open to the public near the waterline .. But if we want our chairs in the shade will it be a problem?

And I am certainly with you I would love to be there this morning!! Have you ever stayed there before?

Yes there is shade right along the shore, you can see the trees just beyond the volleyball net in the webcam. The sandy swimming area and dive shop are further to the left, before the blue bldgs.

Yes we do rent a condo there, we've been lucky enough to meet wonderful owners who rent there and the condos are beautiful. Most of the units are a roomy studio that is plenty large enough for a couple and there are larger two-story units as well. You want to rent directly through an owner via VRBO or from contacts here and on tripadvisor and not through the property because some units are nicer than others.

Honestly I would be very nervous about meeting someone on here or online and not really knowing anything about them and trusting that we were not getting scammed. I guess with the line of work I do it makes me not trust anyone.?

Yes there is shade right along the shore, you can

see the trees just beyond the volleyball net in the webcam. The sandy swimming area and dive shop are further to the left, before the blue bldgs.

Yes we do rent a condo there, we've been lucky enough to meet wonderful owners who rent there and the condos are beautiful. Most of the units are a roomy studio that is plenty large enough for a couple and there are larger two-story units as well. You want to rent directly through an owner via VRBO or from contacts here and on tripadvisor and not through the property because some units are nicer than others.

Honestly I would be very nervous about meeting someone on here or online and not really knowing anything about them and trusting that we were not getting scammed. I guess with the line of work I do it makes me not trust anyone.?

No you're right. But if you're talking about renting from condo or villa owners via VRBO or HomeAway you're dealing with verified owners. I'm just saying we have a couple contacts who rent beautiful condos and are excellent owners and I share those contacts with others who are looking for that. It can be a daunting task to narrow down a choice with hundreds of options...

I know what you mean we are looking to do a land vacation in St Croix next year and just trying to figure out the best place to stay has been a challenge. You have places that look great and price is ok but then to find out yes it's beach front but you can't swim in the water. Or just reading everyone's opinions of places the range from horrible to great .. And the last thing you want to do is travel all that way only to have a miserable vacation.

I was reading up on why cruise ships don't go there and even that was all over the board as to why.. I did find out RCCL does go there in the Winter but the only ship that looks like it goes is out of Puerto Rico which I have no interest in doing..

No you're right. But if you're talking about renting from condo or villa owners via VRBO or HomeAway you're dealing with verified owners. I'm just saying we have a couple contacts who rent beautiful condos and are excellent owners and I share those contacts with others who are looking for that. It can be a daunting task to narrow down a choice with hundreds of options...

" I did find out RCCL does go there in the Winter but the only ship that looks like it goes is out of Puerto Rico which I have no interest in doing.."

I'm not sure why. Puerto Rico (especially Old San Juan) is a great place to spend a few days pre- or post-cruise. When you start in the Caribbean, you can visit more southerly islands... It's unfortunate that there aren't MORE cruises out of San Juan. :D

" I did find out RCCL does go there in the Winter but the only ship that looks like it goes is out of Puerto Rico which I have no interest in doing.."

I'm not sure why. Puerto Rico (especially Old San Juan) is a great place to spend a few days pre- or post-cruise. When you start in the Caribbean, you can visit more southerly islands... It's unfortunate that there aren't MORE cruises out of San Juan. :D

Totally agree - cruising out of San Jan adds so much more to a cruise, and staying in PR after is a great way to end your vacation.

There are also cruises that originate out of Barbados, another great option, but much more difficult flights of course. But SJU is easily accessible by many airlines from major US cities, and a very nice experience.