CAM Walking Boot

Hi all-

Will be going on an 8 night Carnival cruise in a little over 3 weeks. Unfortunately I experienced a major foot injury recently and have to wear a large walking boot for at least 6 weeks. Is this something I need to tell the cruise line about ahead of time? Walking around OK with the boot with moderate pain but am a bit worried about prolonged standing and the amount of walking. Not sure what kind of accommodations the cruise line can make? Traveling with only my child and am concerned about lines to get back on the ship, dinner, and lifeboat drill (if its one outside). I have a disability parking pass for parking at the port. Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

See if a knee scooter would work for you.

Ask for wheelchair assistance at embark/debark and Special Needs muster.

Which ship? All Carnival ships muster outside, Fantasy class starts inside then goes outside. No life jackets needed.

Unfortunately, everyone waits in line for ports. We arrive a few hours beforehand to avoid most of the crowd.

To eliminate wait time in the MDR either have assigned dining or for ATD go when it first opens or after 7:30.

Edited by SadieN

Your not required to notify the cruise line. However you might considerbusing wheelchair assistance on embarkation day and disembarkation days. That service is provided on a first come served basis. On embarkation day all you have to do is approach the first Carnival rep you see and tell them you need wheelchair assistance. The night before disembarkation day the location to go on the ship for wheelchair assistance will be posted in the newsletter placed in your cabin the night before.

Wheelchair assistance is provided only on embarkation and disembarkation. The cruise line does not provide wheelchair assistance at each port. If you are concerned about having to standing in lines you might consider bringing a folding chair or a knee scooter.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Personally, I would rent a scooter. There is so much more walking on a cruise than in everyday life. If you have it and don't need it, you're only out the cost of the rental. However, if you don't have it, you may find you're not able to manage as well as you thought, and miss out on many of the things you could enjoy. Consider it an "insurance policy."

See if a knee scooter would work for you.

Ask for wheelchair assistance at embark/debark and Special Needs muster.

Which ship? All Carnival ships muster outside, Fantasy class starts inside then goes outside. No life jackets needed.

Unfortunately, everyone waits in line for ports. We arrive a few hours beforehand to avoid most of the crowd.

To eliminate wait time in the MDR either have assigned dining or for ATD go when it first opens or after 7:30.

Its Carnival Valor. Not sure about that one but I know some do still do the lifeboat drill outside. Conquest did theirs completely outside when my Dad was on it 2 weeks ago. Will definitely ask for a special needs muster. Will have to try to time getting back on the ship at ports during less busy times. I know there's been some in the past where I had to stand on the dock for 30 min + waiting to board.

• 3 weeks later...

We just did the MSC Divina and I was in a walking boot due to a stress fracture in my foot. I was supposed to be able to transition out of the boot during the cruise, however every time I would walk in sand my foot would swell and I would end up back in the boot :(.

We didn't need to let the cruise line know, and the Divina did an indoor muster so we just went early, grabbed a seat and waited with a good book. However, had it been outdoors we would have asked for a handicapped muster. We also let the concierge in the Yacht Club know that in the case of a real emergency I may need assistance on the stairs.

I also had a tiny bit of trouble getting up and down the gangway in ports because your ankle doesn't bend and you are walking on a hill. It especially stinks when people are pushing behind you. If your boot has metal you may also have issues with the metal detector.

If you are flying give yourself some extra time for TSA. I either had to take mine off or it had to be swabbed each time I went though security. I was able to walk enough that I took it off but you may need to have it swabbed and get a pat down. Do call your airline disability department. We flew United and Jetblue and both were wonderful providing me with bulkhead seats so I had extra leg room and making sure I was able to board early. It was very helpful to be able to stretch my leg and move it around. You also want to deflate your cast if it inflates, and know you will need to do it a few times during the flight, as mine kept inflating!

Have a great trip! I really got to relax! People spoiled me rotten!

I would echo a couple of pieces of advice that you have received:

1. Get at least a knee scooter. It will really help to take the strain off of your foot while you are having to wait in lines (and, believe me, there are lines everywhere).

2. Use wheelchair assistance. If you are flying, get it at the airport. Use it for embarkation and debarkation. There is absolutely no sense in beginning your vacation in pain or frustrated when there was something that could be done to help.

3. Relax.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so sorry to hear this, but grateful for all the info from everyone.

I literally just called X about this very thing and was coming here to see if anyone had experience with pier assistance in Bayonne, NJ. I had a major major sprain to the left ankle 10 weeks ago and while I'm able to walk and weight bear, standing too long or walking to far cause major swelling and pain. We (docs, hubby & I, and his awesome cousin who is my PT) thought I'd be further along by now. Sigh.

I feel kinda silly receiving "special treatment". Like I'm taking services away from others who need it more. I can go about most of my day pretty normally as long as I take breaks, wear my brace, ice frequently. We cruise in 16 days and I'm just not going to be up for end to end walking multiple times a day or standing too long. I'm going to need my crutches at times and lots of sitting breaks.

I did speak to X special needs dept. They put me down for pier assistance and said they can provide a folding wheelchair in my cabin for the duration of the cruise.