Currency Used While Sailing

chrismakris

That's what I needed to know. Can I give them any extra Euros I have in cash to apply to my onboard account a check in and convert it to US dollars? Or would I have to exchange it into US dollars before hand.

You may exchange euros for USD at guest services.

I guess what I was trying to say is can I give them cash when I check-in to apply to my account in Euros and have them convert it into US right there, or would it have to be in US dollars.

Are you trying to set up a cash account rather than give them a credit card?

I am travelling before hand for 10 days and I just want to put any extra spending cash that I might have left over into the account and then if I go over still have a credit card on file for anything extra at the end of the cruise.

Chris

I would not normally suggest that you do that as you will get a poor exchange rate on board, but with the pound as it is at the moment, it is more difficult to call. (I am assuming you are from Abbotsford in the UK.) A lot will depend on when you purchased your Euros and what exchange rates are like when you sail. It is entirely possible that the poor exchange rate given on board is the least of your worries.

Having said all that, I have never had to deposit money for cash account because we always have on board credit. So, I am unsure if you can do what you wish. I would have expected that you had to be on board before you could exchange your Euros because the people on the check-in desks would not be set up to deal with exchange rates.

You may wish to know that Celebrity are still selling OBC for £17.30 for US$25 which is an exchange rate of US$1.4451/£1. By buying at that rate for your on board spend you could cushion the poor rate you will get buying your Euros. If you do wish to purchase OBC, telephone Celebrity rather than buy on line.

Sorry in advance for hijacking the question

Will crew accept Euros as additional cash tips or should we make sure to have some US Dollars on hand to hand out additional tips?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Anarinya

Sorry in advance for hijacking the question

Will crew accept Euros as additional cash tips or should we make sure to have some US Dollars on hand to hand out additional tips?

Thanks a lot!

The crew will graciously accept and appreciate any currency. I tend to give in the local currency...USD when in the Caribbean, GBP when out of Southampton and euro in the Med but it really doesn't matter.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

Thank you wendychloecruiser!

We are going to the Med, so that will make it easy for us. We just want to make sure not to create extra work for the crew by tipping in a currency that they will need to exchange (possibly at a bad rate).