Scooter on Norwegian

SandyMc

I had made a reservation for a regular balcony cabin on the Escape prior to deciding that I should definitely take my Lexis Light scooter on this cruise. Everything I read on Norwegian board indicates that the scooter will fit through the cabin doors, however, I would love to know if anyone has actually traveled with a scooter in their balcony cabins. Thanks!

You might want to cross-post on the NCL board as there are more likely to be members who are very familiar with the Escape. Though not a scooter user myself, others have noted the main problem isn't getting through the door. It's where you will park and charge the scooter once inside. No mass market line will store or charge them. It has to be done in your own cabin.

If the scooter is a necessary device, my suggestion would be for you to contact NCL or your TA and see if you can change to an accessible cabin in the same or similar category.

The door may not be the only problem. In some cabins where the sitting area is by the window and the bed is between the sitting area and the restroom there is a small hallway getting past the restroom and closets. This creates a situation where you have to make a 90° turn one direction and then an immediate 90° the opposite direction at the foot of the bed. The area at the foot of the bed may not be wide enough for the turn or to get past.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

I had made a reservation for a regular balcony cabin on the Escape prior to deciding that I should definitely take my Lexis Light scooter on this cruise. Everything I read on Norwegian board indicates that the scooter will fit through the cabin doors, however, I would love to know if anyone has actually traveled with a scooter in their balcony cabins. Thanks!

Have not been on the NCL Escape. However here's a link to a video that may be helpful in understanding the layout of the room

It also needs to be noted that the cabin doors on most mass cruise lines are 23" in width from door frame to door frame. You than have to deducts 2" for the depth of the door as it does not open flush to wall leaving a clearance of 21".

Edited by xxoocruiser

We sailed on the NCL in Hawaii and my DH used his scooter onboard. Most of the cabins doors are about the same on most ships. He has a Pride Go-Go 3 wheel. When we do cruises he removes the arm rests which makes the width of his scooter 19 inches thus allowing to enter the room with ease. But as a another poster explained most of the cabins have the bed first then the main sitting area closet to the balcony doors. This does cause a problem because with the scooter in the main walkway of the cabin you can't get to the bathroom. We have never encountered a problem leaving the scooter outside the door and just removing the battery for charge during the night in the cabin. Almost all the cruise lines have been wonderful towards us, except Disney who makes us park by the elevators and walk back to our cabin. Hope this was helpful. No matter what contact NCL special needs department for additional assistance.

We sailed on the NCL in Hawaii and my DH used his scooter onboard. Most of the cabins doors are about the same on most ships. He has a Pride Go-Go 3 wheel. When we do cruises he removes the arm rests which makes the width of his scooter 19 inches thus allowing to enter the room with ease. But as a another poster explained most of the cabins have the bed first then the main sitting area closet to the balcony doors. This does cause a problem because with the scooter in the main walkway of the cabin you can't get to the bathroom. We have never encountered a problem leaving the scooter outside the door and just removing the battery for charge during the night in the cabin. Almost all the cruise lines have been wonderful towards us, except Disney who makes us park by the elevators and walk back to our cabin. Hope this was helpful. No matter what contact NCL special needs department for additional assistance.

FYI storing a scooter in the hallway poses a very serious issue of concern that's why the SOLAS ( Safety of Life at Seas) Regulations, Coast Guard Regulations as well as the Cruise Lines Regulations require that it be stored in your cabin.

Norwegian Cruise Lines as well as most cruise lines posts its policy on its website . Following was copied directly from Norwegian's website.

All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS regulations, they cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area.

FYI - I do require the use of a mobility scooter and do store it in my cabin. When I find that other passengers are storing a wheelchair and or scooter in the hallway I don't think twice about reporting it to the Ship's Secrurity .

Edited by xxoocruiser

FYI storing a scooter in the hallway poses a very serious issue of concern that's why the SOLAS ( Safety of Life at Seas) Regulations, Coast Guard Regulations as well as the Cruise Lines Regulations require that it be stored in your cabin.

Norwegian Cruise Lines as well as most cruise lines posts its policy on its website . Following was copied directly from Norwegian's website.

All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS regulations, they cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area.

FYI - I do require the use of a mobility scooter and do store it in my cabin. When I find that other passengers are storing a wheelchair and or scooter in the hallway I don't think twice about reporting it to the Ship's Secrurity .

You are absolutely right even though some cruise lines do not enforce it.

If there is an emergency evacuation, think of the impediment it would cause and the subsequent injuries and possibly deaths. Storage in public areas is indeed against SOLAS regulations. If cruise lines are not complying, then they (and you) have a tremendous liability problem!

Thank you all for your replies! One of the reasons I chose the Lexis Light is that it can be easily taken apart into 3 pieces (one being the battery) or even folded and pulled like a piece of luggage. It sounds to me that the scooter will fit through the doorway but might be a problem actually in the room. In that case, I can take it apart so it will take up much less room. I will call NCL to let them know I will be bringing it.

Thanks again!!