Help needed!!

thall17

Ok before I curl up in the fetal position....

We are leaving on the Magic on Saturday August 27th

We are flying into Orlando Thursday the 25th

We are going to Disney Friday the 26th (crazy I know)

Where should we stay? Should we rent a car or use transportation services

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

If you're planning on staying at WDW all day/night on the 26th, I'd stay at WDW (or some place close).

If you're planning to head out of WDW in the evening, I'd probably drive to PC and stay the night there.

So it depends on what you're doing when you land on Thurs and how long you plan to stay at WDW on Friday.

There are tons of hotels on Disney property but I have no idea how much they cost. There are a ton more right near Disney property that should be a dollar or so cheaper. If it were me and I had the money I'd stay at one of the Disney hotels (they have free shuttles to the parks and all that happy stuff) and it shouldn't be much more than an hour to drive out to Port Canaveral - it's all toll roads though so bring some change.

There are a million shuttles from the airport to Disney but I don't have any idea about shuttles from Disney to the port. I'd feel more comfortable renting a car but then ya gotta park it at Canaveral. On the plus side you'd be able to drive it right back to the airport on return from cruise.

Since I live here I drive everywhere and none of it bothers me. But that means I have no experience with transportation services so people that routinely fly in and then cruise will have better experience to relate.

The airport is about in the middle between Disney and PC. - about 35 miles straight east to the port and about 20 miles west to Disney. All on toll roads that are generally wide open unless you hit right at rush hour (8ish~9ish am and 5~6ish in the evening). I live right by the airport and drive west for work on the main toll road there but I have weird hours so I never see rush hour.

But I have to admit I'm a little jealous! I love Disney World and never get to go. Disney and a cruise sounds like fun! Hope y'all have a great time! :)

Also how many people are in your party? That might help you in making a decision too on what kind of transportation you should take to the port. Compare the cost of a shuttle per person vs. a one way rental to PC. Last time it was cheaper for us to rent the car and do a one way rental.

You could probably head over to the Home Ports board for Florida departures. There's probably lots of shuttle recommendations there. Then you can check out costs and compare to a car rental.

I would book on Disney property for Thursday and Friday night. Use the free Magic Express to Disney then rent a car from Alamo right at Disney's Transportation center to take you to Port Canaveral. If you prefer to shuttle to Port Canaveral you could get one from Disney or take Magic Express back to the airport

You'll need at least a minivan and those start around 65~70 bucks a day. plus parking at PC. Not knowing how you guys pack you might need a full size van.

vs a Mears shuttle (biggest transportation company in Orlando) which will do 6 adults one way from Airport to Disney for about 140 bucks

and

6 adults one way from Magic Kingdom to Port Canaveral Carnival Cruise for $252.00

(That was just one quick search - you may be able to find better deals at Mears with different passenger config and/or different shuttle companies)

So you're into Mears for 400 bucks for just 2 rides (oh and you need to get back to airport after cruise so there's another 140 bucks or so). so anbout 540 bucks...You then have to taxi or uber around town unless you never leave Disney property.

If the Mini-van will work you're in the 500 dollar neighborhood (assuming a 7 day cruise) but you also get freedom of movement if you want to go somewhere.

Edited by originalgeek

You'll need at least a minivan and those start around 65~70 bucks a day. plus parking at PC. Not knowing how you guys pack you might need a full size van.

vs a Mears shuttle (biggest transportation company in Orlando) which will do 6 adults one way from Airport to Disney for about 140 bucks

and

6 adults one way from Magic Kingdom to Port Canaveral Carnival Cruise for $252.00

(That was just one quick search - you may be able to find better deals at Mears with different passenger config and/or different shuttle companies)

So you're into Mears for 400 bucks for just 2 rides (oh and you need to get back to airport after cruise so there's another 140 bucks or so). so anbout 540 bucks...You then have to taxi or uber around town unless you never leave Disney property.

If the Mini-van will work you're in the 500 dollar neighborhood (assuming a 7 day cruise) but you also get freedom of movement if you want to go somewhere.

No need to rent the van for the week and pay to park it. Rent it at Disney and return it at the port. Rent again at the port and return it at the airport. We're doing airport to port and reverse for about $230 total.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't know about transportation but I would stay in Orlando Thursday night and at Port Canaveral Friday night. I don't even think I would stay on Disney property for only 1 night. There are so many nice hotels in the area for much better prices. I'm not sure where you are from but late August in Florida is miserable. I'm not trying to be a downer but be prepared for the heat and humidity. Orlando has NO breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No need to rent the van for the week and pay to park it. Rent it at Disney and return it at the port. Rent again at the port and return it at the airport. We're doing airport to port and reverse for about $230 total.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Even better! I knew you guys could come through with real experience. :)

We booked thru American luxury from MCO to Port Canaveral and from Port Canaveral to Disney World and from Disney World back to MCO for 6 people for 300.00. If u r staying on Disney property catch the magic bus it's free to the resort.

and

Why would they park at Port? Why not rent from someone where you could then turn the car in when you drop off luggage?

You should stay at a cheap disbey hotel. This will include magical express-free bus to Disney property from the airport. Then rent a car from Disney and turn it in at port on day of cruise. They will deliver car to your cheap Disney hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did this exact same thing in April. We stayed at Disney's Pop Century for 2 nights and took advantage of the Magical Express from the airport. We ended up taking the shuttle to Canaveral thru Carnival from the airport. We also took the ME to the airport from Pop so no cost there. I normally wouldn't book the Carnival shuttle but since the port is so far away it was easiest. Everything was perfect. Disney really has their stuff together transportation wise.

Our Disney hotel was cheaper than the hotels closer to the pier. Couldn't have been better and one day at Disney was better than nothing for me!