Blast from the Past--Pacific Princess circa 1983

GradUT

My husband and I are culling the hundreds of slides we have beginning from the late '70's. Today, we saw one of the old Pacific Princess docked in Mazatlan. (We weren't on a cruise--we just happened to be there when the Pacific Princess was in port.)

Having cruised on Princess in recent years--even on the "new" Pacific Princess--the "old" one looks so small! I don't know how it compares in size to the small-to-midsize Princess ships we've been on, but it looks tiny in comparison. Was it really that small?

My husband and I are culling the hundreds of slides we have beginning from the late '70's. Today, we saw one of the old Pacific Princess docked in Mazatlan. (We weren't on a cruise--we just happened to be there when the Pacific Princess was in port.)

Having cruised on Princess in recent years--even on the "new" Pacific Princess--the "old" one looks so small! I don't know how it compares in size to the small-to-midsize Princess ships we've been on, but it looks tiny in comparison. Was it really that small?

Yes, it was. The old Pacific Princess was about 20,000 GRT. The latest one is about 30,000 GRT. Interestingly, they carried about the same number of passengers.

The original Pacific & Island Princess ships were smaller.

Tonnage:

19,903 GRT

Capacity:

640 passengers (lower berths)

750 (all berths)

Crew: 350

The current Pacific Princess is 30,227 tons & holds about the same number of passengers...672.

We sailed the Pacific to Hawaii in 1992 and here's a copy of a 1977/1978 brochure which nearly 4 decades later prices are still similar:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=245585&d=1348005243

Edited by Astro Flyer

I was on her in 1995, for a 16-day Trans-Pacific cruise from Tahiti to Los Angeles. I think we had 600 passengers on the ship. There was a pretty three-story atrium. In the dining room though, the windows were portholes. :D

Edited by partybarbie

I was on her in 1995, for a 16-day Trans-Pacific cruise from Tahiti to Los Angeles. I think we had 600 passengers on the ship. There was a pretty three-story atrium. In the dining room though, the windows were portholes. :D

Somewhere I have more photos but can only find our posed family photo on the curved stairs from the Purser's Desk & gift shop. That wasn't upon boarding like in the Love Boat series but was located in the middle of the ship.

I searched deck plans to refresh my memory for the layout of this small forerunner of today's Piazza and multistory atrium. It went up one deck from Fiesta deck to the mezzanine on Aloha deck where there was a beauty salon, barbershop & library.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Somewhere I have more photos but can only find our posed family photo on the curved stairs from the Purser's Desk & gift shop. That wasn't upon boarding like in the Love Boat series but was located in the middle of the ship.

I searched deck plans to refresh my memory for the layout of this small forerunner of today's Piazza and multistory atrium. It went up one deck from Fiesta deck to the mezzanine on Aloha deck where there was a beauty salon, barbershop & library.

You make me want to dig out my old pictures now, lol. I was only 34 years old, and I think there was one lady younger than me. The other passengers thought I was a travel agent or a doctor. :D Good times! We used to get scolded for talking if we weren't quiet when we walked past the bridge players.