Questions about Norwegian Jade

redbaron70

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can answer a few questions about the Jade:

1. We are looking at a sailing after the spring 2017 dry dock. What changes will be made during dry dock?

2. Is there a water slide?

3. How are the activities for teens? We have a 15-year-old and 13-year-old.

Thank you!

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can answer a few questions about the Jade:

1. We are looking at a sailing after the spring 2017 dry dock. What changes will be made during dry dock?

2. Is there a water slide?

3. How are the activities for teens? We have a 15-year-old and 13-year-old.

Thank you!

1. Not sure, but they still have the Blue Lagoon and I hear they'll be turning it into O'Sheehans

2. There's a slide now, not sure about after dry dock.

3. We got off the Jade on Saturday - we don't have teenagers, but there were over 800 kids on board last week and they seemed to be having a good time - we saw several groups doing scavenger hunt type activities with other teens from the Teen Club.

We had a great time -the staff was wonderful.

We just got off Jade. It nominally has a water slide. It's pretty slow. There were some kids who seemed to enjoy it, but it's not really a swashbuckling experience or anything.

For kids over 12, the kids club is Entourage. It's a mix of guided activities and hanging out. The woman who was in charge was really great. Scavenger hunts and boys v. girls challenges, sports, etc. Our 15-year old loved it and hung out quite a bit with the kids in the club. Prior to this trip, though, he felt a bit too young for it although he made the most of it. It kind of depends on the composition and whether school is out. If there are a ton of kids on the cruise, I think a younger teen would find other younger teens at Entourage and so it wouldn't be much of an issue, but before that when we went, there were only about 15 to 20 kids who were regulars in Entourage and some of them were quite older -- 16 and 17 year olds. A year or two can make a difference in maturity level, interests, language, activities, etc.

They are really inflexible about ages, and so if you're right on the edge of being in one club or the other, they don't let you move up or down, so something to think about for your younger child.

Edited by Regguy

Did you happen to hear anything about the Hawaiian- themed ship décor being updated during the upcoming drydock? I am looking at a Scotland/Iceland cruise on the Jade next summer and it would be weird to be on a Hawaiian themed ship (with the Aloha bar, etc.).

Did you happen to hear anything about the Hawaiian- themed ship décor being updated during the upcoming drydock? I am looking at a Scotland/Iceland cruise on the Jade next summer and it would be weird to be on a Hawaiian themed ship (with the Aloha bar, etc.).

I haven't heard anything. But I didn't really think it was much of an issue, though I understand that everyone has different tastes. We did the Adriatic, and it was fine.

If you're on the fence about the Iceland cruise, you might want to go ahead and book now while you decide. It's selling fast, and cabins just went up $200 to $300 the other day. I've been watching it and am booked on it, though we are giving serious thought to sailing on the MSC Iceland cruise instead.

The Hawaiian theme isn't over the top. I did an Adriatic cruise on the Jade out of Venice, and it really was no big deal. :D

Yes you're right Regguy, that cruise is definitely selling fast - there are no suites left. I was hoping to snag one for the five of us. But as of now I'm looking at two connecting balcony cabins, or even oceanviews to save some money. It's good to know that the décor wasn't really noticeable. I'm also pricing out airfare to Hamburg and it's way more than I would like (from SFO).

Yes you're right Regguy, that cruise is definitely selling fast - there are no suites left. I was hoping to snag one for the five of us. But as of now I'm looking at two connecting balcony cabins, or even oceanviews to save some money. It's good to know that the décor wasn't really noticeable. I'm also pricing out airfare to Hamburg and it's way more than I would like (from SFO).

If you have an extra day before and after the cruise, take a look at Berlin which might be a bit cheaper. It's a 2 hour train ride, but Berlin is more of a hub so you might find cheaper fares to fly there. A bit of a hassle after a transcontinental flight, but it might save you some cash. Norwegian Air also now flies from Oakland to London and the fares are pretty decent, though you'd need to make your way from London to Hamburg.

Edited by Regguy

If you have an extra day before and after the cruise, take a look at Berlin which might be a bit cheaper. It's a 2 hour train ride, but Berlin is more of a hub so you might find cheaper fares to fly there. A bit of a hassle after a transcontinental flight, but it might save you some cash. Norwegian Air also now flies from Oakland to London and the fares are pretty decent, though you'd need to make your way from London to Hamburg.

What about Southampton or Amsterdam - the other 2 homeports for Jade during summer 2017.

Yes, it's the Iceland/Scotland cruise out of Hamburg. We've already been to Norway, which I believe are the other two Jade cruises next summer. And thank you so much, Regguy, for the tips on other ways to get there! Those are very helpful. I have more research to do now :-)