ideas for toddlers

kac31

Hello. My husband and I will be traveling with our 2 1/2 year old in December. Does anyone have recommendations or experience with any of the excursions other than beach breaks?

Coz is an island, so most of the activities revolve around the beach and the water. What are you looking for? :confused:

Playa Mia is the popular option for families with toddlers - kiddie water park, pool, nice beach, good food/drinks/service. You might be able to book it through the cruise line or should be able to book it cheaper on your own (taxi should be about $15-17 each way).

Chankanaab Marine park, with dolphins and other sea life is another option - small pool, nice beach, animal shows, etc. Adult admission is about $20 each, but the cab fare is only about $10 each way.

We have had a great time at Allegro (AI day pass, 18 months), Punta Morena (2 and half) and Park Royal (AI day pass, 3 and half).

Allegro has a quieter kiddie splashground than Playa Mia.

We spent the whole time at Punta Morena but it could easily be combined with ride round the island, if that would interest you, and you had a driver for the day.

We were at International Pier when we went to Park Royal and it was by far the easiest no hassle day with no transport necessary. There is a kiddie pool and kids club but you cannot leave unattended under 5, and small beach with sand.

These are basically beach related excursions. As John says most excursions on Cozumel are beach related. My other suggestion for that age would also be Chankanaab, although we have been saving it until he is a bit bigger. Maybe underwater submarine?

Thank you for the suggestions!

When I said beach break, I was referring to just sitting on a beach all day. I would like us to be able to go and do something different because I am guessing that we'll have beach days at every port. I have noticed that a lot of the excursions, you have to be a minimum of 5 years old.

Edited by kac31

When I said beach break, I was referring to just sitting on a beach all day. I would like us to be able to go and do something different because I am guessing that we'll have beach days at every port. I have noticed that a lot of the excursions, you have to be a minimum of 5 years old.

Book your own tour of the island - it is easy to hire a driver (Black Hat tours is often suggested, but there are others) or just hire a taxi for a few hours - see the far side of the island (beautiful scenery and beaches, but dangerous rip-tides/surf), funky bars, small Mayan ruins (not worth it IMHO), etc.

If your toddler is like my kids were at that age they will be bored and would much prefer the beach, a kiddie water park, or seeing dolphin shows. Your call! ;)

I recently came back from our cruise which stopped in Cozumel. I was traveling with a 10 y/o and a 3 y/o. We ended up spending the day at Allegro Resort and it was perfect. There is the beach, of course, but there is also a number of different pools (including one kids splash pool), and several planned activities. Not to mention includes food and drinks while you are there. I thought the toddler would want to spent all his time in the kiddie pool, but he surprised us all and wanted to head straight "to the ocean with the fish". My older son enjoyed the pool and other activites as well (pool basketball, sand volleyball, a huge chess board). They even had a cooking demonstration poolside. And once the boys realized they could get virgin daquiris... well, we all were at the bars a lot.

All in all, i would absolutely recommend the resort for day guests. 😊

What did you do about transportation in a taxi for your little ones? Did you carry a car seat along? Did they ride without one? How is the drive to Chankanaab? Do the drivers stay under 30 MPH or so, or do they go fast?

I didn't bring a car seat for my little one. I put a seat belt on him in the taxi (which actually a shuttle van), and I sat right next to him. It was fine, though each parent is different about those things.

The taxi ride itself was calm and uneventful. I remember being able to take in the shoreline sights and even get some good pictures from the taxi ride to the resort. He couldn't have been going very fast.

-Jackie

• 2 weeks later...

We took our family to Mr. Sanchos. They have an all inclusive or you can purchase things ala cart. They have a price list when you get there. The employees were very friendly. My kids were a little older, but that's where I would go with a toddler. Or chankanaab.

As for car seats, I would ask at the taxi stand. I would probably just buckle my child up next to me. When we ride around the main city, we saw babies and kids wedged in between parents on scooters. It was eye opening!

As for car seats, I would ask at the taxi stand. I would probably just buckle my child up next to me. When we ride around the main city, we saw babies and kids wedged in between parents on scooters. It was eye opening!

Not safe :(, but certainly eye opening!

• 1 month later...

We are taking Ride Safer Travel Vests (easily found via google search). They are VERY safe and easy to transport/use. We know we will use them for years, so consider them a great investment!

Playa Mia's splash pad will be closed, so we may try Allegro with our 3 year olds.

There is a submarine excursion, he has to be 36 inches tall. We did one of these somewhere else when my son was younger.

You can find snorkel excursions that take you out on glass bottom boats. One of you would have to stay on board with him.

Someone else mentioned Allegro Resort. They have a a day pass. In addition to the beach, they have playgrounds and a children's splash park.

Good luck.

Not safe :(, but certainly eye opening!

Child mortality rates while riding in vehicles has dropped by about 50% since the 50s (when seatbelts were not mandatory). Some of that is from seatbelts, some of that is from improved overall safety of cars, and some of that is from car seats. Its hard to tell which is responsible for how much of that safety improvement. However, even if we assume it is all from the advent of child safety seats, that means between ages 1 and 4 child deaths dropped by about 5 per 100,000 children. That's a .005% improvement. There are around 4 million children born every year, so that's 12 million kids between ages 1-4. That means child seats would save around 600 kids per year. Not REALLY all that big of a change, considering 84,000 of those 12 million children will pass away before age 5 of all causes in general.

Call me a terrible person, but you're not taking a huge risk with your toddler strapped in a seat belt.