What to pack for alaska cruise, rain jackets and more

Lisichka

Your post did list some suitable options, but they aren't the only options, by far. Many people seem to think that they NEED to go out and buy a bunch of expensive gear for a trip to Alaska, when simple sneakers, jeans, fleece, etc. will do for most people. Nobody should spend a fortune on clothes and shoes that they won't use again.

BTW, to whoever said that they'd use their umbrella in Seattle, be aware that only tourists use umbrellas in Seattle, so using one will certainly peg you as such. ;)

I was going to respond and say "thank you." I loved your post--very organized, practical, and always nice to have photos! I will be traveling to Alaska in just over a week!

Thank you for being being so thoughtful to post your packing list and recs!

Lisichka, I appreciate your post. I'm cruising for the first time to Alaska in August and am taking what everyone says here and will plan accordingly. Thank you for posting.

Thank you! :)

For most, purchasing different clothing for an Alaska trip is unnecessary. What do you wear when it rains in your home town? Why wouldn’t you wear the same thing in Alaska when it rains? If you’re not an avid hiker at home, are you expecting to become one when visiting Alaska?

Alaska isn’t on a different planet. The summer weather in Alaska is probably very similar to where you live during a different season. If you need a light weight rain coat, why spend $200 when you can go to Costco and get one for $30? Light gloves are 10 bucks.

Most of us in the lower 48 do not routinely go sightseeing to see glaciers and know enough to stay in from the wind and rain. Alaska cruises get so much discussion about packing because the weather can be all over the chart.

We were just there July 5-12 and had pretty good weather for Alaska; mostly dry, some sun and a lot of overcast days. We were prepared (layers) for anything in Endicott Arm and the wind did not disappoint. I learned my lesson several years ago while on a scenic sailing ship in the Bay of Fundy off Maine/Canada coast. It was a beautiful day but the wind whipping over the water kicked our butts.

Edited by mondello

I was going to respond and say "thank you." I loved your post--very organized, practical, and always nice to have photos! I will be traveling to Alaska in just over a week!

I have a Marmot jacket, a primaloft layer for underneath for cold, gloves, a warm hat, low waterproof hiking shoes for wet weather, a pair of comfy sneaks for dry weather, a small hiking backpack (mine is a simple LL Bean pack that can be folded up into its own pocket). I think we'll bring small, travel umbrellas--could be useful in Seattle even if too crowded in port for them. I think all your suggestions are quite helpful! I can't believe you got all you did in that small suitcase. You should see the size case I have out and ready to pack. LOL. It's kind of ridiculous. But I will be spending a few days in Seattle before my cruise and a few days in Portland after. I brought a few dressier things to change into for dinner--will maybe use in Portland--who knows. And I have a lot of "make it easier on the cruise ship" accessories like an over the door shoe organizer, a plug extender, etc., since I will be sharing a stateroom with both of my boys.

Thank you for being being so thoughtful to post your packing list and recs!

No way you will need an umbrella in Seattle in the summer! It's been sunny and mid 70's (unusually chillier) and forecast won't be changing anytime soon! Summer is amazing in Seattle!

No way you will need an umbrella in Seattle in the summer! It's been sunny and mid 70's (unusually chillier) and forecast won't be changing anytime soon! Summer is amazing in Seattle!

When we got into our hotel room in Vancouver, I noted the Hampton Inn branded umbrella hanging in the closet and realized that was a sign. Sure came in handy since it was raining the rest of the evening. :cool:

I appreciate all the input and suggestions also. Have been on many Caribbean cruises but Alaska is a whole new experience.

My son advised us on a few items ....have purchased the Northface Resolve raincoats on sale, and they will come in handy during our rainy season in FL. Also a great Northface backpack, also on sale and can be used on our other travels. Perfect for carrying peeled off layers, water bottles, camera and binoculars, etc. One item he suggested was an Ultra-Sil Dry Sack that's waterproof, ultra compact and lightweight .... perfect for putting my I-phone, camera and binoculars in to keep them dry. can also be used at beach to keep sand out of items in future.

I never would have thought about insect repellant.

Trying to downsize wardrobe for this trip as we have a land tour plus 3 nights pre cruise in Vancouver. Going much more casual, so all advice is welcome.

Ha ha!. That's good. Also mostly only tourists call them umbrellas. Native born locals are as likely to refer to them as a bumbershoot. I arrived once in San Francisco where it was raining so as I got off the city bus the driver asked if I had an umbrella. I told him "Nah, I'm from Seattle" - 'nuff said.

Good quality pair of compact Binoculars!

Emphasis on quality. Stayed at a B&B in Valdez and was using my cheap Bushnell binoculars to watch a Coast Guard boat across the bay patrolling the oil terminal. I could sort of see see crew walking on the deck. The B&B owner handed me her pair of Ziess military grade binoculars. OMG :eek: I could now see their rank insignia. Sure, they were probably $500 binoculars but the view would be worth it. Random online example.

What a fantastic list! I do love to hike so I will be looking into the Ahnu boots.

But question - would you pack the Keen sandals for a mid September cruise? I am packing flip flops for the pool, didn't think I would need the Keens in port this time of year. Perhaps I should skip the flip flops and pack the Keens for port and pool.

You are right. I forget a lot of people go on a cruise to Alaska just to sight see and not to be active. I should probably have been more specific and said this is for the active cruiser who plans to do some hiking, kayaking etc.

A lot of the suggestions are for less active cruisers as well though. The suggestion to layer (take a water proof jacket and sweaters for underneath) and sneakers that are comfortable.

I hoped my post was helpful. I can tell many of you do not think it is. My apologies. :(

Thanks for posting that info, very helpful! Looking into our first Alaskan cruise and gives us an idea where to start :) .

We live in Western Australia and have just booked our first trip to Alaska.This thread has so many great suggestions for people like us who never get to experience a climate like we are going to.

I'm very grateful that you started this Lisichka and to everyone else who has since posted.

To sherryf I just purchased some rain resistant pants that zip off and are awesome. I'm only 5' tall and they sell them in short length. They fit perfect because they cinch in on the bottom and you can pull the pants down over it. They are called Columbia saturday trail II convertible pant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Headed to Alaska August 2017! Lots of time to shop for bargins! I do not have a rain jacket just a big umbrella. Don't want to lug that around when I am sightseeing.

Yes, and I'd certainly go with a light rain shell over an umbrella. Doesn't have to be expensive; I used an Eddie Bauer rain jacket I'd bought on sale for $30 a couple years prior. I just freshened the water repellency by treating it with wash-in DWR. Instead of rain pants, I used convertible nylon hiking pants I already owned, which I also treated with wash-in DWR. On rainy days I wore those instead of jeans.

While I'm not sure you'd need such in August, for our May/June cruise we carried lightweight packable down jackets and were glad to have them at times. Bought them during the end-of-season clearance sales at REI for a fraction of the new price. Down has an advantage in packed size and weight, but you do need to be more careful in keeping it dry.

You have some nice gear, but there a lots of good choices so people should try on and get advice on what to buy from an outfitter. Not Amazon. I agree with others that if you aren't really a hiker, you don't buy hiking boots for one week. But definitely get waterproofing spray for your sneakers. And I totally love my Keens, but don't see any reason to take them to Alaska with me. But Kudos on your deals, Ahnus for $48! I got my Keens at the REI Member's garage sale! We'll wear our Salomon hikers in port. I'm bringing mostly tech stuff: Royal Robbins hiking shirts, some ExOfficio stuff; both are fantastic brands. Bringing heavier waterproof jackets for Denali, better safe than sorry.

Don't feel bad for trying to be helpful! Most people are couch potatoes and won't be doing anything more challenging in Alaska than they do at home.

But the main thing I wonder about is what you wore to dinner? Did you not eat in the main Dining Room? What did most people wear? I feel like I'm packing for two separate holidays: hiking in Maine and a resort! :)

Edited by AndreaNewEngland

I think there is a wide range of what people need/want.

The boots in the photo would be serious overkill for most cruisers, and only needed if you are doing real hiking.

I wouldn't choose Keen type open shoes unless the weather was warm and dry, and that's hard to predict in Alaska. I'd rather have good sneakers.

I despise umbrellas - they get blown inside out in the wind, and are very annoying in crowded ports.

I live in the Seattle area and don't own rain pants. I have never felt that I needed them in all of my 8 previous trips to Alaska.

I wish I could find zip-off pants in my size (I'm really short), but I can't, so I take some long pants, some shorts, and some capris as a compromise.

I also think people shouldn't spend a lot of money on expensive brand names for clothes/shoes that they may never wear again.

Thank you. You posted exactly what I was thinking. Most of that list is serious overkill.

Blue jeans or comfortable pants, t shirts, tennis shoes and a fleece jacket. Have never needed anything but comfortable walking shoes. Unless you are planning on serious hiking you just need a comfy pair of shoes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any suggestions on waterproofing sneakers?

Are you planning on swimming in them? You don't need to water proof them. Just like home it rains in Alaska on occasion during the summer. I grew up in Alaska and it's like anywhere else in the PNW except the sun stays up longer.

What are you planning on doing that would cause your shoes to be soaked? It rains more in Seattle, Portland and Eugene and I've never water proofed my shoes in any of those cities. JMHO

Edited by JVilleGal

Jvillegal I was just going off what some of the comments here suggested to waterproof your sneakers. I come from AZ where I wear flip flops year round! I had to get a pair of sneakers to have a warm pair of shoes! I don't deal with wet sneakers at home because I don't usually wear them!

Jvillegal I was just going off what some of the comments here suggested to waterproof your sneakers. I come from AZ where I wear flip flops year round! I had to get a pair of sneakers to have a warm pair of shoes! I don't deal with wet sneakers at home because I don't usually wear them!

Well I am a flip flop queen and wore flip flops when I was in Alaska in June! Unless there is a monsoon or you are a serious hiker I can not remember ever in the years living in Alaska (or cruising in Alaska) needing to water proof my shoes. Well wait i did water proof my Uggs one winter :)

I did need a light weight rain jacket one day in Ketchican, but my shoes were fine inspite of the down pour that day. It was warm & wet. So think lite weight.

You don't need anything but a couple pairs of comfortable shoes and yes I bring sandles to rest my tired feet. When are you going to AK?

Edited by JVilleGal

azbeachbum2016 I see you are going in Sept. The weather should still be very nice. My last Alaska Cruise was in Sept and the sail away out of Seattle was spectacular. We went to top top deck at the back out the ship and it was just WOW the sail thru the islands there is beautiful. I got sunburned I remember. On that sailing I mostly wore Tevas and crop pants, sometimes a fleece vest but mostly it was warm except that day in Ketchican . It is cold when the ship is further out to sea and you want to walk to deck. You jacket or fleece will come in handy.

Well you already know Alaska is not the Caribbean but when I was home in Anchorage in late June it was 90 degrees which is unheard of in Anchorage, though it does happen in Fairbanks (learned to water ski there :) )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums