A question about snorkeling.... (longish)

AmandaNS

I was reading through some older posts in this forum, and came across one that talked about non-swimmers being able to snorkel. We were in the E Caribbean last year and went on the BOB excursion... had a great time, but while others were out snorkeling, DH and I sat on the boat (with some others), wishing we could get out there. Neither of us swim, although neither of us are afraid of the water, either (we did the BOB and loved it). I feel like we're missing a lot.

My question.... I'm looking for a way to "try out" snorkeling to see if I'm comfortable with it. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, so going to the beach to try it out this time of year is out of the question (brrr!!! :eek: ). We're sailing this January, and the ports where we have some extra time include St. Kitts, Antigua, Barbados and Aruba, in that order. I'm looking for a good, SAFE way to give it a try without spending a fortune, making a fool of myself (I'm also pretty "fluffy", which doesn't help on the embarrassment scale):o, or holding up a group. Is it realistic to think I can bring my own mask / snorkel / fins and be able to putter around at a beach on my own? The biggest concern I would have would be some sort of flotation help. If I try it in one of the early ports and enjoy it, I would be interested in booking an excursion later in the cruise (it's 11 nights so we have time). Have you heard of any port or excursion that offers "snorkeling for people who are concerned they might sink immediately to the bottom and get washed out to sea" :D?

Of the ports I mentioned above, is there one in particular that has better snorkeling than others? One that has a nice beach for a beginner? I know I'm asking a huge question.... just seeing if anyone has suggestions! Oh, and a place that doesn't have deadly rip-tides would be nice, too. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much, and sorry for the long post. This is such a neat site!!

Oh, Amanda, you have me laughing uproariously!

I haven't been to those ports so I cannot give you info about them, but do you have a YMCA or some such club around? Could they let you pay for a day at their facility?

My mother was a virtual non-swimmer and did fine at Cozumel. She did have one of those vests on. I bet you could buy those somewhere. Someone on this board should be able to tell you where.

With such a great attitude and a thirst for adventure you should have a great time.

P.S. Fluffy people float better than those boney people!

If you are comfortable putting your face in the water you could always snorkle wearing a life vest. I'd suggest one of the ones that actually looks like a vest as opposed to one of the big puffy orange ones.

The majority of snorkling occurs with you on top of the water anyway so it's no big deal. I've seen people who were not strong swimmers wearing the vests several times when I've snorkled.

I'd suggest that anyone bring their own snorkle....it makes me shudder to think about where the ones they have on those boats have been:eek:

Hi Amanda -

I too am a non swimmer. I'm not afraid of the water, just can't go under. The first time I tried snorkeling was many years ago on a cruise. I did it from the beach so I could just walk into the water at my leisure. I also used one of the flotation vests. I was amazed how far out I was able to go. It definitely helped that the water was warm. I tried it again about 10 years ago in Cabo off of a boat....couldn't do it that time. I think because the water was a bit on the cool side, I couldn't get myself to relax enough.

The other thing with going from the beach is that you won't feel that anyone is waiting on you.

We're going to the Eastern Caribbean in December and I'm going to try it again in St. Thomas.

Good luck - I think you'll do great. :D

Amanda - keep in mind that you are much more bouyant in salt water than in a lake back home. And as a fellow "fluffy" I can attest that that makes you even more bouyant. You'll have no problem floating and as long as you can kinda paddle around, you'll do just fine.. The vest is more for your own sense of well being than anything, but do wear one.

Up to you whether to purchse your gear before going, but if you do, I'd start with just a decent mask and snorkel, preferably what they call a dry snorkel which has a device that prevents water from leaking in. You can always buy flippers late rif you decide to continue or you can use those avaialble on the excursion boats. Don't get your gear at some place like Walmart, go to a local dive shop where you can get expert help. I'd think you could get a decent mask and snorkle for about $75.

Or you could just use what is available on the excursion boats. Many folks go YUCK!! but the truth is that many go that route and I've yet to hear of anyone getting trench mouth or beri beri from an inadequately sanitized snorkel.. all depends on your level of squeamishness I guess.

I'd recommend going on a snorkle excursion. The folks who staff those boats have LOTS of experience w/ newbies and are typically very patient. I'd look for a boat that only takes a dozen or less so that you get some personal attention. That probably means looking at local operators rather than doing the ship's excursion thing. Read the port of call boards for the islands that you are headed for and you should find plenty of info.

Snorkeling is wonderful.. Trust me you'll be hooked .. Give it a try

I agree with the above - definitely give it a try. I'm a fairly competent swimmer, but definitely not a strong ocean swimmer, so I had some concerns too about snorkeling. You could definitely do it with a vest, since like someone said you basically just float at the top most of the time, and see how you feel. Flippers are also immensely helpful; you just wiggle your feet a little every few seconds to keep going, it's effortless.

Also as above, buy your own snorkel. I've also seen it recommended to buy your own mask in person (as opposed to online) so that you can be sure that it fits your face. I can second this, because on one trip my rented mask was slightly "off." Few things kill your snorkeling joy faster than a leaky mask!

have you considered learning how to swim?

Really - I've turned a non swimmer in to a basic swimmer in an hour. It just takes a few minutes of guidance into some basic skills. After that it is practice.... Basic drown proofing at a minimum ...

No one should go into the water if they can not swim a stroke...it just isn't smart. You seem to recognize this already but perhaps are afraid of being embarrassed as most learning swimmers are lil' kiddies.

Contact the Y or local high school, or a swim club. I'll bet you can find someone who could give you a private lesson or two. You'll be surprised what a difference a little confidence can impart.

Then add some snorkle skills and you are good to go. But w/out such skills - what if you are snorkling and your mask gets knocked off? Or you discover your vest has a leak? Or you just get tired? I'm not trying to scare you ... I just happen to be what one might call a professional lifeguard with over 35 years of experieice in the field.

Hi from a fellow Canadian. here is my suggestions.

Go to a local sports store and buy a mask and snorkle. Ensure that it fits properly. Now, take it home.

Put water in the tub just deep enough to put your face in the water on your hand and knees. Now put your mask on and put your face in the water and breathe through the mask for one minute. See if you have any problems. One may be fogging, this is remedy by putting spit in the mask or a little water. If the seal is not perfect tighten it a little but also put vasiline around the out side edge of the mask touching your face and make sure there is no hair here. Try again this time for three minutes. If good go to a pool with your mask next.

At the pool do the following, spit in mask, put vasiline around edge put mask on check for seal. Go in shollow end of pool where you can walk. Put your face in the water for one minute to check the mask out. Then lifft your head. Walk to the depest part you can without swimming. Put your face in the water and walk back to the shallow end with your face under water breathing through the mask. Raise your head say you did it. Then walk around with the mask on for about 30 mins.

Now go borrow a vest from someone or buy a snorkle vest that fits you. Get permission from the pool to do the following swim with mask and vest on. This time put the vest on, then the mask as before, check for seal. Start in shollow end. Blow a little air into vest. Allow your legs to leave the bottom of the pool (you are in shallow end so no fear here). Once you are floating put your face in the water for a minute to check the mask. Then float for 10-15 mintutes. Take a break relax and congratulate yourself.

Now for the harder part. Blow a little more air in vest. Start in the shallow end and walk until you reach your chin put your face in the water and allow your legs to not touch the bottom (you can be near the side for this). Now kick you legs just a little to move you a little deeper and breath through the mask. Go until you are past the dropoff. You are now in deep water. You are floating. Now pretend that you see fish and coral below you. Wait there for 30mins move a little bit with your legs and arms. Go over to the latter and climb out of the pool.

Go do this two or three times more. Success.

When on ship use your snorkle in the pools, they will help check you for snorkling. Most ships do have an intro programme.

Now go and do it for real. I would use St Kitt's for the first beach. Enjoy.

Oh, BTW I'm disabled and I snorkle. I have to use their float because my legs do not always work.

Thanks so much for all the encouragement. I'm really excited about going, and think that snorkeling is something I'll love.

Capt BJ, I'm not going to "flame" you... I think you're right. My first choice is learning to swim. I took lessons when I was little, and did my first 4 levels. I was at the point where I could jump off the diving board (NOT a dive, I assure you - lol) and be comfortable going under, coming up, and swimming to the side of the pool. I could tread water with some endurance, float comfortably on my back and tummy. I was never a "fast" swimmer, but could mosey around. I haven't been swimming regularly to maintain the strength I had built up, but I am comfortable enough that if I were to get a leak in my vest or my mask would pop off, I would be okay, even in deep water. I would always respect my lack of strong swimming ability in choosing where I start out. I'm more concerned about waves / tide / wind. And I may have a chance to take a few lessons before I go... and you're right, most of the beginners are, like, 4 years old. But I know there's one-on-one adult classes around, and that might be the best bet for me, since I'm not really starting from the "okay, now put your face under and blow bubbles" stage. I was always under the impression that you had to be a very strong, very experienced swimmer to snorkel, and when I saw others do that, I thought, "hey, that looks like fun, and not at all scary... I could do that!!". As you said, though, the embarrassment factor plays big!!! :o

What great ideas about trying it out the first time! CaptData, I was laughing at the image of me all hunkered down in the tub. Definitely a time when I'd want to lock the door so DH didn't walk in. :eek:

My whole family is scuba certified and have snorkeled and dove all over.

Suggestion: Check and see if your local Jr. college or school has a "class". You would be surprised. Also some cruises will offer a "basic" class in the pool on board. Usually free or small charge. The more you put yourself in the water (face down ;) ) the more comfortable you will feel. Also alot of beaches have an area for snorkeling (sometimes roped off) so you won't float away on a tide.:o

I too would buy my own mask and snorkle. I just bought a new set (old one was 16 yrs old :eek: ) and got a nice silicone mask and a new type of snorkle (the top automatically closes if it goes under water) for $ 48.00 for the set. When in the store, take it out of the package and just place on your face (do not use the strap & make sure no hair is under the edge) and suck in thru your nose. IF IT STAYS ON YOUR FACE it should be a good one.

Also, all boats (excursions) will have life vests. I would not buy one as it would take up alot of luggage room. Fins are nice too (I also bought new ones of those $16.00 for smaller snorkle ones) as my dive fins are much larger and take up too much room. We are not planning on diving this trip - just snorkeling.

Whatever you decide....do not let your size stop you from doing anything that looks like fun.....life is for living and you only go around once. I am not exactly a skinny minnie myself and I enjoy all water sports, hiking and am thinking about doing a sky dive for my upcoming 50th birthday :eek:

Lots of good advice and encouragement on this thread, but I see nobody has answered your question about snorkeling off the beach. Of the ports you named: St. Kitts, Antigua, Barbados and Aruba; I think Barbados has the best beach snorkeling (I have not been to Antigua, nor swum in St. Kitts though).

Barbados is a coral island, and there are places where the reef and the fish are right there at the shore. If you go to a beach on the west side, you should have low waves and pretty good snorkeling. We spent a week in St. Peter once and had an excellent time snorkeling from the beach. Beaches on the east side have more waves and some are world famous surfing spots, not so good for snorkeling or beginning swimmers.

I have been on many excursions with people who can't swim. My most memorable one was when I was 6 month pregnant with my 2nd child. My husband and I BOTH had to help a couple that were having problems even though they were wearing life vests. I helped get the lady back to the boat and my husband did the same for her s/o. After a while the couple was back in the water with the noodle -type floats. They were having a great time. When I got back in the boat the lady was shocked since she didn't know that I was pregnant and she felt horrible for putting me at risk. I told her that I wouldn't let someone drown in front of me no matter what, I was soooo big that I just bobbed around like a cork. Point is if you aern't sure of your ability ask the tour guides for more floatation devices, they should have them. Enjoy, you never know how much fun you'll have unless you try.

GO FOR IT!!!! I'm not a great swimmer and snorkeling is one of the major reasons I cruise. It's one of my favorite things to do. I LOVE IT!!! Depending on where you are, you can usually snorkel right off of the beach and still see amazing things. The great thing about this is you can go pretty far out and still stand at most places, so if you get freaked out,

you can just stand up and walk. I would definately use a vest the first time mainly just for your own security, You will enjoy yourself more if you're not having to worry about sinking!!:) (you won't BTW) I've been snorkeling for about 7 years and I'm just getting ready to take my first boat tour. I'ma little anxious about it becasue of all the reasons you mentioned and my personal recommendation would be for you to stay on the beach your first time. There are still amazing things to see and, like someone else mentioned, you don't have to worry about holding anyone up or keeping up with the group! I hope you love it as much as I do! Have fun!:D

I too am a woman of "Voluptous" proportions:) . Bouancy is never a problem. I also have a big head so getting my own mask was vital. I have never had a good fit w/ a tour mask; leak like crazy and constantly having to take it off , clear and defog again:mad: . I went to a dive shop and got my own equipment. They dissuaded me from buying fins. Hard to pack and who wants to carry around a fin case unless your diving. Silly on a cruise ship. Don't bother w/ a vest either. The cruise ships will usually specify at least a couple of snorkel excursions for beginners. You can also check the boards for the ports you're going to for suggestions on local operators who cater to beginners. They will tell you before you get in the water about the current and whether it is safe for not so hot swimmers. They "don' wanna be drownin' the tourists mon". I swim but certainly won't be doing any triathlons soon. I did practice w/ my equipment at the pool at my health club when I was 1st starting. Got a lot of funny looks but so what!!! You'll have a blast and see more remarkable wonders then anywhere on dry land. Buy a couple of underwater cameras too before you go. RIDICULOUSLY expensive anywhere in the Carribean.

49515_Beach_bum_Taz.jpg Sue

We are serious snorklers. #1 thing you should buy is a snorkling vest. You can blow it up as little or as much as you want. I am an excellant swimmer but ALWAYS use a vest when snorkling. (Although its deflated!) Then ,on most cruise ships they have a snorkling session where the dive master goes over everything and lets people try a snorkle out in the ship's pool. Make sure you go to this. I've seen non swimmers, with vest on, holding on to a noodle (long floating thing) in deep water. Next, sign up and go on the 1st ship's tour for snorkling. You can tell them you're a non swimmer when you sign up. On ship's tour, the dive master & crew keep an eye on everybody. Once you start snorkling, you'll never want to stop! As you haven't done this before, I'd be hesitant to go off on my own till you really feel comfortable!

Have a great cruise and,.....Keep Smiling...........Bonnie J.................

We met a couple on a cruise and he was a scuba diver like us and she couldn't swim but wanted to snorkel. They took a boat snorkel in Montego Bay and she backed out - stayed on the boat. THe next day at Grand Cayman Island he got canceled for scuba diving and we were going to beach dive so he asked if he could hook with us. We said yes and then looked at the weather and it was lightning in the distance and rainy so we decided to snorkel. We got his wife to come and we went to the Dive Shop on the pier that I had researched and rented equipment for her (we had ours) and life vests for me and her (I prefer not to tread water every time I want to look up and say something like "Look at that!" and we took off swimming to the snorkel spot - lotts to see along the way too. Anyway she had a great time and got a perscription mask (she had glasses) when she got home. My point is this. Do some research on the islands and look for Dive Shops that are on the beach where you can rent gear - scuba gear is just more stuff than snorkel gear and all dive shops rent both along with life vests. There are many beach areas like you are talking about in the Caribbean and you are right it would be best to go at your own pace with no one (not a crowd) around to watch. I learned on one of the private island stops myself from someone who knew how to snorkel. I have been to Barbadoes but we toured the island so I can not help there and Aruba we again toured the island but we did snorkel at De Palm Island and if they offer that on tour (ours was a jeep tour) I'd recommend it as it is very small. Please try snorkeling as it is incredible but I agree to try at your own pace. Please just use this internet to search out "Dive Shops" on each island. Just put the island name and the words "dive shop" into a search engine and look at their sites - many offer snorkeling but you can call them too and ask about beaches where you can snorkel. Please research first as it is hard to find on your own once you get there. Debbie

In searching the way I said above I found hte following in around 3 minutes -

http://antigua-net.com/cgi-bin/frame/frame.cgi?URL=http://www.antiguaadventures.com/t-pb-advant.html

Another idea is to go with a private tour or dive shop that will take you snorkeling. Both will be small groups. On Board ship we met two others that wanted to snorkel where we wanted to dive in Cozumel - well for 4 people they took us out and dropped us divers with a guide and took the snorkelers close by and then after they were done came and picked us up. Worked great. :) Debbie

Capt, not to flame you but some of us have a phobia about being under water. Have tried swimming lesson after swimming lesson (the ones as a child didn't take), the last one was before I became preggers (with hubby suggesting I learn to swim before having kids). I tried. The Swim **** Teacher (yes, that's what I called him, but not to his face) couldn't cajole, berate or embarrass me into staying underwater for more than a few minutes. In fact, I strained a neck muscle from the lessons. Fortunately, my child eventually got over her wariness and can swim more or less (stay afloat, float on her back, but just not do her strokes too well).

We have booked the Molokini snorkel trip in December but I'll just stay on the boat, sipping a cool drink.

Just adding my 2 cents....instead of a life vest, you may want to purchase a floatation belt like they use for water areobics. These are adjustable and go around your waist. I have found in the past that life vests tend to bunch up around your neck and become uncomfortable.

-patty..

Amanda,

Take heart - you can do it!! I am a former "big chicken" in re snorkeling. Tried it one year with a regular snorkel - didn't work. Finally got myself a prescription mask, a good-quality "dry" snorkel, and a snorkel vest. Last year I had my first successful snorkel experience in Grand Cayman and this year I wanted to snorkel every possible minute on our last cruise. I am not a good swimmer and never particularly liked the water [we have a pool that I rarely get into]. But that beautiful, clear, warm water and all those beautiful fish and reefs - WOW! I'm already dreaming about our next trip and we just got back two weeks ago.

I would really suggest getting a snorkel vest [do a search for snorkel vest] - you can get one for about $30 on line and it doesn't take up much room. Just be sure and make it pretty tight around your waist and not too loose on the strap between your legs. The vest can be blown up as much or as little as you want. I found it really helped me feel more secure, as I felt I didn't have to "worry" about staying afloat.

Those ports are some of the ones I most want to try now! You will have a great time if you just relax.

You might also want to wear a shirt to protect your back and shoulders from sunburn. And I wished I'd taken some bike-type shorts [snug-fitting] because if your sunscreen gets worn off your legs, you'll get a burn.

Archived