Leaving Kids on Ship when Parents are in Port

caprcorn28

Hello everyone.

I had read in a different thread that people don't suggest leaving the kids in the care of the ships' childcare program if you go in to port...thus leaving the ship...? I would think that is the whole idea of it!

We have cruised before with kids, but never been in ports late/long enough to ever do family and then couple-type things, separately!

Anyone have thoughts on the pros/cons of this?? Any experiences good/bad?

We will be in Cozumel until Midnight during our next cruise. We're planning on doing a daytime excursion with the kids, have dinner together and hubby and I plan to head back in to Coz to have a margarita or two at some fun Mexican place, Without the Kids! We'll be back on board before 10p when Camp Carnival "closes" their free childcare...

I would appreciate real-life based experiences, not "scarey-what-if's"!! Thanks!!

Happy Cruising!!

We have left our girl onboard many times without any problems. The major suggestion that I would give is: any excursions be booked through the cruiseline. That way, if there's any mechanical problem with buses, boats, etc., your ship will wait for you. Otherwise, if you're just walking around in port, just hang within a certain distance of the ship and make sure you get back early just to be on the safe side.

Be aware of when the kids' area closes and get back before that. Many cruiselines' programs will take the children to the casual dining room for lunch.

Make sure you sign up for the in-port kidsitting service in time. I know that Princess requires 24-hr. notice.

I was on a cruise when two couples left their kids on the ship and then didn't make it back on time and the ship left without the parents. Another time a child became very ill and they couldn't find the parents to take the child to the medical center. In the five hours that the parents were gone, the child became quite sick because they couldn't treat the child without the parent's permission. There are a lot of things that could happen when a child is left on board and the parents go on an excursion.

Thanks for the replies! I am hoping that we'll still be able to go to Cozumel (where we plan on leaving the kids on the ship for awhile when we go back in to town)...we still have quite a few months before we go...Those poor people being ravaged by the hurricanes!

But, that is what I figured - just plan accordingly and be smart about being off the ship with out the kids. That would be horrible for them to sail without you!! I couldn't even imagine! We always do excursions with the cruiseline - I know that we could probably save money doing things independently, but for reasons listed, I'd rather play it safe than really, really sorry!

Definitely the parents should make sure to leave permission for emergency treatment, if necessary. It's something we have to think of this time as our daughter's been diagnosed with asthma since our last cruise. She's capable of using the inhaler (she's done so at her school's office and even showed me how to use it) but if she's not allowed to take it into the kids' zone (which is understandable), we may need to stay closer. We have booked three excursions (thru the ship) for our next cruise for all three of us.

We left our son onboard while we were in Cozumel. We only did it because my DD wanted to go horseback riding and DS - 10 at the time, was too young. Every child is different, and I trusted my son. He knew what to do in an emergency and he had his money for the arcade :D .

We had been to the beach in the morning and we were planning on our shopping trip after dinner so he did not feel left out of this one excursion. He actually enjoyed being able to roam the ship and eat all the pizza and ice cream he wanted for a few hours!

Stacy-- dis youleave him with the camp?

my question if for the age group of 9 or above--when left in the care of camp while parents go into port--can these kids sign themselves in and out as they can on a regular sea day?

The kids can sign themselves in and out unless you specify you do not want them too. Not sure I would be comfortable letting my childred "roam" the ship all day without me on board, then again, I don't feel comfortable letting them loose on the ship even when I am on board. On a cruise in Alaska, we took a tour with the kids in Skagway, when we were walking around town it started pouring so we went back to the ship. The kids wanted to go to CC so we dropped them off and walked back to town for about an hour. I think I would have been nervous if we had gone on an actual tour, but since we were so close to the ship and could go back whenever we wanted it was fine. Just do whatever you are comfortable with.

Last summer I did exactly as you are planning to do in Cozumel. I took an excursion during the day with the kids (ages 6/9). We went back to the ship ate, bathed, etc. We dropped the kids off at the kids camp around seven and then went back in to the port shopping area just off the ship. We shopped, had a few drinks, etc. We were back to the ship with no trouble. I would ,however, suggest that you not allow your kids to sign themselves out of the camp, if they are old enough, and give permission for the ships doctor to treat them if they become ill while you are gone. Make sure you note any allergies that your children may have as well.

Last summer I did exactly as you are planning to do in Cozumel. I took an excursion during the day with the kids (ages 6/9). We went back to the ship ate, bathed, etc. We dropped the kids off at the kids camp around seven and then went back in to the port shopping area just off the ship. We shopped, had a few drinks, etc. We were back to the ship with no trouble. I would ,however, suggest that you not allow your kids to sign themselves out of the camp, if they are old enough, and give permission for the ships doctor to treat them if they become ill while you are gone. Make sure you note any allergies that your children may have as well.

I absolutely agree 100% with not allowing them to sign themselves out when I am not even on the ship! This is much to the annoyance of my kids when we have talked about taking this trip (hypothetically as far as they are concerned!!! - Only a 143 days til we suprise them!!!! - but oh well, I have been a "mean mom" before!! :rolleyes: )

We have left our kids for short times when we are in a port within easy walking or very short cab/shuttle ride of town, when we've just wanted to shop or walk around a little bit on our own. I haven't yet been comfortable with any real excursions without them. To the best of my recollection, most children's programs have us sign emergency medical treatment releases even before they will accept a child into the program. It's really a matter of your own comfort level, but the programs we've used have always been quite tightly run (I've never allowed them to sign themselves out when that's been an option), and in fact, some make me feel even more secure than some of the schools my kids have gone too in terms of who's going in and out, etc.

Hi all,

We leave our son on the ship when he choses to stay rather than do something in a port. For him the kids program IS the reason to cruise, not the ports usually. You have to make sure you give them permission to treat if there is a problem. I also happened to ask once on Carnival what happens if you get left in port while your child is on the ship. The person in charge of the kids program becomes your childs guardian until you get back to the ship. They would stay in the kids program when open and eat meals with this person when group meals not planned. They would sleep in that person's cabin UNLESS the have a roomate in which case they would use your cabin. They do have plans just incase. I also think it depends a bit on your child. If they are a bit clingy and might want or need Mommy you should stay closer.

While in Grand Cayman we went on a private stingray tour (not ship sponsored) and were assured 5 times we'd be back in time for the last tender. If not for us being stressed out the whole time and totally pressuring the tour operator to get us back we would have missed the ship. We made the last tender with literally 5 minutes to spare. Our kids hate the Caribbean (way too hot for them even on the beach) but LOVE the kids program, so we usually leave them on the ship for port days. Now we only go with ship sponsored tours (they'll wait for you) or stay close by.

We sailed with Disney last January and left the kids (ages 7/5) with the Oceaneer Club while we went shopping in Nassau. No problem!! Good thing about Disney is that they give every parent a pager, so if anything happens they can always get in touch with us. Our kids actually did not want to get off the ship - they wanted to stay in the camp!

We'll be in RCL Legend in December. We plan to use the kids club then also, although we will have grandparents/babysitters with us. But they, too, will be doing excursions. We'll see how it works out, but I am sure they will be fine

We'll be in RCL Legend in December. We plan to use the kids club then also, although we will have grandparents/babysitters with us. But they, too, will be doing excursions. We'll see how it works out, but I am sure they will be fine

Hi,

We are going on the Legend in Jan. and may also put our girls into the kids club & go into the port. We've been on 12 cruises but haven't taken our girls until this time around. I was wondering if you could let me know how it worked out for you after you return? Since we've been to all these ports several times we know what we will be doing already. We may want to go back into Coz. later in the evening & leave them onboard. I would just like an insiders point of view! :)

Have a safe & fun cruise!

Sue

Hi, I was wondering if you could let me know how it worked out for you after you return? I would just like an insiders point of view! :)

Sue: No problem! I would be more than happy to let you know how we make out! I'm sure there's no comparison to the Disney kid's club, but my kids are in before and after school day care and that's no comparison either. I'm sure all will be fine. I am curious to see how they handle the emergency contact issue - pager, cell phone, etc??? I'll let you know!! Only 33 days left!!!!!!!

You would've been disappointed if you had been in port in Martinique with us last year. Made arraingements with the kids club on the Zaandam, the day before as requested.

Time comes, dh walks dd to the club and lo and behold there is one man there. He very nicely explains that since our dd was the only kid to sign up, all of the "kids staff" decided "they" wanted the day off. He, an entertainer, was "chosen" to meet my dd and see if she wanted to sit and play computer games for the afternoon.

IF HAL is trying to change their image from the "old persons cruise line" this was by far NOT a very good example of it.

Yes, Cozumel is a looooong port day! We planned 2 excursions that day. We went to the beach for the morning as a family, then in the afternoon my DD wanted to go horseback riding. Unfortunately the minimum age was 12, so DS - who was 10, couldn't go. We decided to leave DS behind. Knowing my son, I felt comfortable leaving him on his own because I knew he was safe. He knew what to do in an emergency and he absolutely loved being able to wander the ship, get pizza and ice cream - watch TV, whatever!! I was just a little nervous, but DD REALLY wanted to do the horseback riding. After dinner went to town as a family and did some shopping so DS never felt left out and loved his 3 hours of independence!!!! You have to know your children to make the decision. As far as taking them to CC, that is very safe and just fine to do too.

Sorry Caprcorn... I posted a reply twice!!!

As far signing in/out I don't remember, but I think you give that permission in the begining. I gave DS the option of going to CC, but he wanted to do his own thing... pig out!!:D

Archived