Can help with Q for Oslo if someone needs it;)

@bookbabe 

I have not visited the Viking Planet. 

it looks very good and are supported by the local council Oslo Kommune. 

The Vikingship museum is closed for renovation. 
So at Viking Planet you are digital able to “visit” and see ships and moves.

Maybe I will bring Mr Norwaylady on a field trip during the weekend🤔🤭🤗 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll be visiting Norway for the first time this September, visiting various cruising ports - Alesund, Bergen, Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavanger and Flam. I realize this thread is specific to Oslo but figure someone reading here may be able to answer my question!

I'm considering buying a nice Norwegian sweater at some point during the cruise, and am wondering if the prices are fairly consistent in all ports or if a particular port is known for generally having better prices? Or better yet, does a specific store/chain have greater variety and prices? I'm trying to avoid looking in sweater shops in every port and then wishing I'd bought in 'X' port  instead!

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Becky

9 hours ago, Raisinette said:

I'll be visiting Norway for the first time this September, visiting various cruising ports - Alesund, Bergen, Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavanger and Flam. I realize this thread is specific to Oslo but figure someone reading here may be able to answer my question!

I'm considering buying a nice Norwegian sweater at some point during the cruise, and am wondering if the prices are fairly consistent in all ports or if a particular port is known for generally having better prices? Or better yet, does a specific store/chain have greater variety and prices? I'm trying to avoid looking in sweater shops in every port and then wishing I'd bought in 'X' port  instead!

Becky

There has been discussion on this forum of buying sweaters. Try searching for "sweater" on the Northern European forum. I know there was discussion about stores; I can't remember whether it also covered which port to buy at.

On 7/13/2023 at 3:35 AM, Raisinette said:

Becky

It’s unlikely that price will vary by port, but larger, more visited cities will probably have more variety. There are not really any “chains” aside from the actual designer shops. If you are looking specifically for something by Dale, Oleana, etc. you might check which ports have dedicated shops for those brands. Otherwise, the tourist sweater shops typically all carry a similar mix. Oslo and Bergen will probably have the biggest shops with the biggest range in a single place. Prices are pretty much the same. Unless an item has a clearance discount, the differences are marginal between shops. The biggest price differences are between sweaters designed and manufactured abroad, those designed in Norway but manufactured abroad, and those designed and manufactured domestically. You can also see differences based on yarn quality and pattern intricacy. And obviously, there is a huge difference between buying new and used.

On 7/11/2023 at 4:00 PM, bookbabe said:

Question for the Norway residents @Norwaylady @kaisatsu and those who've visited recently...

Has anyone been to the Viking Planet attraction in Oslo?

https://www.thevikingplanet.com

Thoughts?  Is it any good?  Or is it a very cheesy tourist trap?

Thanks

I don’t know anyone who has been, because it looks very touristy from the outside, and I think most people are a bit skeptical. It’s also quite expensive from what I recall (unless they’ve lowered the price). I’d be interested to hear opinions! Maybe I should skim the reviews myself!

• Like 1

@kaisatsu and @bookbabe 

As Kaisatsu said.... it's a bit 🤔 about Viking Planet. Since it's not been very branded or visible for us as Norwegians. 

But I had to take a deeper look into it. 

First, they do receive a decent amount of money from Oslo Town. So that means that they are ticking off a lot of boxes to be able to receive money from the public. So its not a scam museum.

Second, I had a look at the other Vikings museums in Norway. https://vestfoldmuseene.no/midgard-vikingsenter/en and https://osebergvikingarv.no/eng/

They do have a cooperation together and are licensed as a part of the Oslofjord Viking Trail.

https://vestfoldmuseene.no/midgard-vikingsenter/oslofjord-viking-trail

So happy visit!

I will try to visit, so I can give a report;)

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 3:35 AM, Raisinette said:

Becky

As mentioned before, you can find a sweater tread if you search. 

Bergen has a Dale and Oleana store, also the usual tourist stores that sell other knitted sweaters and other things. They are located by Bryggen and on the corner of Torgallmeningen and the fish market. As mentioned, they are supreme quality and made in Norway. 

Inside Bryggen, you have several stores selling local knitted sweaters and local made patterns. 

Have a look on Dale and Oleana, so you have a clue of what they offer. 

https://eu.daleofnorway.com

https://oleana.no

In Flåm you have mall of Norway. They sell everything, including knitted wear. (I was in Flåm last weekend) Mr Norwaylady wanted to visit Ægirs beer garden🤭

In Oslo, Kristiansand and Stavanger you will find sweaters also.

In Oslo, you have wider area to walk for the stores.

Best of luck finding your favourite!

• Thanks 1

@bookbabe & @Norwaylady
I asked around today and found someone who has been to Viking Planet.

She said that it was very well done, but she felt that it was a bit overpriced for what it was. She qualified this by adding that she personally prefers to see the actual historic artifacts rather than just a recreation, so she’s probably not the target audience to begin with.

That also reminded me that it’s been a while since I’ve visited the Historisk Museum. Last time I was there, the displays were almost entirely in Norwegian, but they offered guided tours in English during the summer by graduate students from the university. They now have a translated narration of the highlights on the website, which gives some context to the objects.

https://www.historiskmuseum.no/english/exhibitions/vikingr/index.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We’re going to be in Oslo from 8:00-4:00 on the 24th. We’re interested in going to the Folk Museum, Vineland Sculpture Park and Fram Museum. Do you think that’s doable using public transportation and if so, bus or tram?  Thanks. 

24 minutes ago, RNic said:

We’re going to be in Oslo from 8:00-4:00 on the 24th. We’re interested in going to the Folk Museum, Vineland Sculpture Park and Fram Museum. Do you think that’s doable using public transportation and if so, bus or tram?  Thanks. 

I don’t see a ship on the port list that’s scheduled for 8-16 on 24 July. I’m guessing your on the Rotterdam (listed as 8-18)? If so, you’ll be docking at Filipstad, west of the center.

Unfortunately there’s not a lot of transit in the area, so your best option is probably to follow the pedestrian path along the highway to the Aker Brygge waterfront and catch the tram 12 from there to Vigelands Park (direction Majorstuen; stop Vigelandsparken). Since the park is open 24 hours, you could head straight there as soon as you’re off the ship. Consider picking up a sandwich for lunch at one of the bakeries or convenient store around Aker Brygge.

You can buy tickets, see real-time departure estimates, and get detailed route planning using the Ruter transit app. Otherwise you need to buy a ticket from a convenience store before boarding. Tickets are good for one hour with unlimited transfers. A 24-hour pass costs about the same as three single tickets.

From Vigelands Park to the Folk Museum, catch the 20 bus towards Skøyen and get down at Olav Kyres plass, where you’ll switch to the 30 towards Bygdøy. That bus stops at Folkmuseet, right outside the Folk Museum.

Squeezing in the Fram might be tough, depending on how much time you spend exploring the others. If you do have time, the 30 bus continues on to the Bygdøynes stop in front of the Fram museum.

Getting back is a bit more challenging, since the 30 bus doesn’t really come too close to Filipstad. You could take it to Solli plass, which is 15-20 minutes walk from the port. (Note that the bus stop by the Fram is one-way, so you’d need to take the bus two stops to Bygdøhus where you could switch to one going back the other direction).

Alternatively, if you are returning from the Fram, there is a tourist ferry that runs directly to Aker Brygge, but it is not part of Ruter and requires a separate ticket.

• Thanks 1