HAL vs Disney Cruise Line

djhsolara

Regarding HMC vs CC, after I visited HMC I thought I had discovered nirvana on earth and that no private cruise island could be better. Then I visited CC and HMC was instantly and without hesitation dropped to #2 on that list.

Looking forward to being on board the Magic with our family in November. On the 4th of December we disembark and board the Koningsdam on the same day - two different experiences, both will be fabulous!

We're on DM in three weeks. We do Koningsdam in January. We did NA last January.

Can anyone report how Castaway Cay compares to Half Moon Cay?

We absolutely love HMC and think it is one of the most beautiful beaches.

Both are fantastic, but we like them for different reasons. HMC has a much nicer beach and is more scenic. HMC also feels less crowded to me, even when we have been there with two ships.

Castaway Cay is more spread out and has more amenities and things to do (especially for kids). Like that the ship docks there and there is tram service to the various stops on the island. Makes it quick and easy to get on and off the ship and to get around the island.

Castaway felt really crowded to us when we were there on the Fantasy vs. on the Magic. The adults only beach (Serenity bay) is a great place to go to avoid the crowds. Another fun thing to do is to walk or bike out to the lookout tower on the island.

What makes it win to you?

With Disney, the ship has a dock, so no waiting for the tender and no line to wait to get back onto a tender at the end of the day. I waited in a line for over and hour at HMC; it was really quite a mess. On CC folks can come and go at will.

I think the food was better on island with DCL and I liked that there were more areas to chose to sit on CC, not all on one long beach. If I am remembering correctly to get away from the bulk of the people, one has to walk down HMC beach to get a chair father away. On CC a tram runs continuously and you can get to other island areas quickly.

Children's programs are in full force on CC so if you want to do an adult excursion or want to take a nap on the beach they will be well cared for with fun activities. HAL likely does the same thing but I'm not sure.

There is an adult only area on CC where no even well behaved children are permitted. If you want a child free zone you absolutely will have that wish granted. I have never actually seen a kid on HMC but my Holland trips have been during the winter so very very few children anywhere.

Is the sand soft and powdery on CC like it is on HMC?

We love to walk down the beach on HMC. For whatever reason, not many people do that and it feels like we are on our own private island all by ourselves. I'm hoping to find something like that on CC.

So looking forward to this!!

We love to walk down the beach on HMC. For whatever reason, not many people do that and it feels like we are on our own private island all by ourselves. I'm hoping to find something like that on CC.

Yes it is! :)

When I was there last year (on the adult beach) beach itself was "sandy", but there is a line of sharp rocks and shells as you enter the water.

It's not bad, but the sand doesn't compare to HMC. Always thought the adult beach on Castaway had better sand than the family beach areas. Some areas are rocky when you enter the water. Castaway is quite a bit further north than HMC and I have always felt the water was cooler at Castaway, even when we have been there in April.