Hurricane Damage Discussion and Photos

samtig

Costa Maya might be substituted for Cozumel but at this point there is just no way to tell. Cozumel will handle 10 or more ships some days. Belize can't really take more than 5, Callica 3, Costa Maya the same. Some ships will undoubtably just have another day at sea.

Cozumel may start tendering cruiseships at some point but how many could be handled? Maybe 3, I doubt more.

All appropriate sympathies to those in Cozumel, especially the everyday folk who depend on the tourist dollar and cannot withstand a shortfall for very long.

I am wondering, though, just how long the port will be closed to cruise ships. In our group is a 90 year old woman who will definitely stay on board if the port call is via a tender. Our cruise is supposed to be in Coz on 12/28. Anyone figure the port will be open by then?

....We have three more days during which we can cancel without penalty and wondering if we should just plug pull.

Opinion:

If your priority is seeing Cozumel (last year this itinerary had to do without Grand Cayman), cancel. There is no way there will be anything but possibly a tender in, & I doubt even that for December. But, if you can embrace an extra sea day... keep it!

We were on the 10/9 sailing of the Conquest and were in Cozumel on Friday 10/14. We spent a wonderful day on Passion Island. I know that it too was probably destroyed. I so hope that Ervin, our tour guide, and his family are okay. He is such as wonderful person. I have been on this excurison three times and he has always been my guide. My prayers are with all the people of Cozumel and Cancun.

:(

When we were there in Sept. I was taking pictures of the damage from that last hurricane they had. They were still trying to pick up the peices from the last one and still had not completely suceeded before Wilma hit them again.

I am in shock at these photos that were posted, it really just sums it all up. I all so have pictures of Ron Jons, Rasta's, Punta Sur park, Carlos and Charlie's and Playa Mia. And while passing some homes, I just took random pics of these little shacks they call home. Now when I go back, I wonder now, are these folks even still alive?

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone including those hit hard here in FL too. God Bless everyone and pray for a speedy recovery for these people. They NEED us to be able to return to Cozumel immediately. It makes me wonder how they will even eat? No money = no food!:eek:

Cruizinrincan

And while passing some homes, I just took random pics of these little shacks they call home. Now when I go back, I wonder now, are these folks even still alive?

Cruizinrincan

Cruizinrincan: in the midst of the horrendous damage, one bright fact is that that news reports state that there were no deaths in Cozumel.

Not sure where you saw that, but I have seen reports of a handful of deaths on the island. Not a huge number, but I've seen reference to 4 or 5 deaths. Most of the speculation from locals was that these were looters who came out into the storm early looking to grab what they could; they had little to no sympathy for them if that was indeed the case.

I was just wondering how all the Cozumel residents are?

Are your families and friends okay?

Are your businesses okay?

I hope we can return soon and hope revitalize the economy to help the people of Cozumel.

Take care and stay safe,

Leslie

Updated photos from Tuesday: http://eczm.com/wilma/Tuesday/index.htm

Thanks Mark...that gives us an even better idea of what is left at Punta Langosta. The aeriel views of the piers were bad enough...but to see the destruction of the streets/buildings up close is so shocking!

Looks like the staff put every chair and table up against the windows as well as boarding them up at Carlos and Charlies to prevent the windows from blowing out!

Just saw this on the cozumelmycozumel message boards:

Email from Bill regarding Condumel/Aqua Safari/Palace:"

From Bill:

Bill Horn of Aqua Safari has just called with an update from the island...

Bill also reported that he attended a meeting at the Cozumel Mayor's office this morning. A large car and truck ferry is being readied to bring heavy equipment and supplies to Cozumel. It is expected on Friday, Oct. 28, and the plan is land at the Municipal pier downtown. Tourist cruise ship arrivals are scheduled to resume on November 20. As most of the cruise ship piers were damaged, tourists initially will be taken ashore in tender boats. Cozumel will certainly be looking forward to the revenue of shoppers back on the streets of San Miguel. For all of the damage reports, Bill was upbeat and unruffled. As he made clear, "It will take time, but Cozumel will come back better than ever."

These pictures were just posted on the Cozumel board: http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/...ies.php?s=8185

This is so sad for the nice people of Cozumel! We were just there (Puerta Maya pier) last month and everything is gone. Our prayers and love are with all those in Cozumel!!

Can someone identify the piers in these photos. Which images are for which piers? :confused:

Thanks.

Wesley

These pictures were just posted on the Cozumel board: http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/...ies.php?s=8185

This is so sad for the nice people of Cozumel! We were just there (Puerta Maya pier) last month and everything is gone. Our prayers and love are with all those in Cozumel!!

Can someone identify the piers in these photos. Which images are for which piers? :confused:

Thanks.

Wesley

The first picture is of the international pier where the ferry to Playa del Carmen docks. The 2nd and 3rd are of the pier at Punta Langosta (the really long one) and the 4th and 5th are of Puerto Maya...or what little is left of it! I'm not quite sure which pier the last few "up close" pictures are of...

Thanks.

Wesley

I am not certain of this, but my understanding (based on my knowledge & some discussions I've seen elsewhere):

Pic 1 - Ferry dock in town (the semicircle into the water is where the huge flag was)

Pic 2 - Punta Langosta (mostly used by Disney, nearer to downtown area)

Pic 3 - Not sure on this one

Pic 4 - Toward the top of the pic the remains of Puerta Maya (Carnival, Norwegian, Holland Amer), in the lower section of the pic International Pier (Celebrity & Royal Carib)

Pic 5 & 6 - both Puerta Maya

Pic 7 - not sure, but from the damage I'd guess Puerta Maya

I hope that is correct. As I said, it is based on discussions I've seen elsewhere, my limited knowledge of Coz, and looking at things in relation to a detailed map of Coz.

Was in Cozumel first part of September. Was very interested in finding info. on damage and found a site called hurricanecity.com, which has lots of links on it. One of the links is http://stormcarib.com

Check out http://hurricanecity.com too......

I live in Bradenton, Florida so I was VERY interested in following Wilma, and all the other hurricanes we've had in the last 2 years. Wilma was the 8th:eek: Price of living in Paradise.

My heart goes out to everyone affected by these storms.

Hope these links help. They are filled with information.

Looks like the staff put every chair and table up against the windows as well as boarding them up at Carlos and Charlies to prevent the windows from blowing out!

I didn't even recognize Carlos and Charlies until I read your post! WOW...incredible pictures. Looks like I'll be back there in January to give them some of my tourist $$$ to help their economy!:rolleyes:

Archived