What to pack for November on Diamond Princess and China?

mickeymouselam

Hi All,

I am headed to China for 14 nights before the 17 Day cruise on the Diamond Princess. I am only allowed 44lbs for the internal flights in China. I am wondering how cool China actually is in November and how hot our stops actually are. Also culturally what is acceptable? I do have free laundry while on board and access to laundry at hotels before hand. I have never been away for more than 10 days and that was in the USA.

Also what should I not forget, or what can I leave at home?

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Lauren

Check Weather.com or a similar site for the historical temps where you will be...and then think "layers." I plan for 7 days, regardless of how long I'll be gone--as noted, you can send/do laundry. Our next trip will be a month total--you can't drag around that much stuff.

If your research indicates that you need a coat or jacket, that can be worn while boarding the plane and not count as part of your weight allowance.

Sorry, I can't address the cultural part. The one thing I've experienced is need to have shoulders and knees covered in some locations. A lightweight shawl handles the head or upper body part easily.

We were on the Diamond in 2008 from Bangkok to Beijing. It was HOT in the South but so cold in the North that we bought gloves and hats in Tiammen

Square! My advice is to pack for both and layer. It is a fabulous cruise - enjoy!

Karen

I have a Northface puffy coat that packs in its own pocket. It is an absolute life saver on planes, in cold vehicles, in theaters. Once I am finished wearing it, I stuff it back into its pocket and put it back in my bag.

It is warm, will repel a little water (not a full on deluge), and can be washed and dried.

Best. Coat. Investment. EVER!!!!

You mentioned spending 14 days in China, but didn't say where. China is a large country, so that is like asking what the weather is like in the U.S. in November. I assume you are boarding in Beijing so will spend time in that area. Beijing can be very cold and windy in November, particularly North of city around the Great Wall. It will be warm near the end of the cruise in Thailand and Singapore. So you will have a challenge, particularly if you have to carry the clothing you will wear on formal nights on the ship with you as you fly around China. If you are starting the trip in Beijing and staying in a hotel there the first night, it might be worth checking if you could store a suitcase there and pick it up when you board the Diamond.

Hi All,

I am headed to China for 14 nights before the 17 Day cruise on the Diamond Princess. I am only allowed 44lbs for the internal flights in China. I am wondering how cool China actually is in November and how hot our stops actually are. Also culturally what is acceptable? I do have free laundry while on board and access to laundry at hotels before hand. I have never been away for more than 10 days and that was in the USA.

Also what should I not forget, or what can I leave at home?

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Lauren

I did a trip in 2009 from Bangkok to Beijing in 2009. it was HOT in Thailand, and cold (snowing) at the great wall.

by the way the trip was amazing!