CUNARD - Defence Force Benefit - OBC

I'm not complaining Les, though there were times when I felt like it. Worked on the same bases, all over the place. Was accountable to the same people, expected to maintain the same standards (especially when living on base) but held a position with the same authority as a Squadron Leader, got paid less than a Cpl.

Last few years I've done some legal work for them at times, same work as a Group Capt, paid about the same as a Sgt Reservist, but I choose to do it so can't complain.

Because of my back they won't have me as a reservist, but happy to get me in as a consultant.

Onya mate, never mind about the work, bat on with your cruise career. When I retired from the NSWP aged 55, I was considering getting a job on the cruise ships as senior security officer, (The white uniforms with a couple of gold bars) got all the info and was lining up an interview with Carnival Australia but am over fighting drunks, even with half a dozen ex Ghurkas as my offsiders !!

Good that you get a bit of consulant work though, got to pay for those cruises !!. No Pro Bono stuff...hit the Govt for the $$$

Enjoy.

Edited by NSWP

Onya mate, never mind about the work, bat on with your cruise career. When I retired from the NSWP aged 55, I was considering getting a job on the cruise ships as senior security officer, (The white uniforms with a couple of gold bars) got all the info and was lining up an interview with Carnival Australia but am over fighting drunks, even with half a dozen ex Ghurkas as my offsiders !!

Good that you get a bit of consulant work though, got to pay for those cruises !!. Enjoy.

Funny it was in the finance side of things when I worked there, $30m a month in credit cards, Bill the Yanks for food drink and fuel, recover money from govt depts when they used airforce planes, all that sort of stuff.

But now it's when they need a judge or advocate that has no dog in the fight. Haven't done any for a while, the chap that used to call on me has retired.

I don't think being security on the ships would be much fun, once did that sort of thing around hotels that was bad enough.

Hi All,

Found this info which refers to USA, just wondering if anyone knows if this is also honoured for AU? :D

Get a discount on your Royal Caribbean cruise

2. Firefighters and Police Officers

If you are an active or retired employee or volunteer of a local or state law enforcement agency, fire department or Emergency Medical Services unit in the United States or Canada, you can qualify for a discount.

Qualified guests must present valid proof of employment (badge or ID) plus a second form of identification when boarding the ship.

Cheers,

Nicole

Hi All,

Found this info which refers to USA, just wondering if anyone knows if this is also honoured for AU? :D

If you are an active or retired employee or volunteer of a local or state law enforcement agency, fire department or Emergency Medical Services unit in the United States or Canada, you can qualify for a discount.

Qualified guests must present valid proof of employment (badge or ID) plus a second form of identification when boarding the ship.

Cheers,

Nicole

I am not aware of any, but call them up at Royal and find out.

For Australian/NZ retired/serving Defence people...Cunard, P&O Australia, Carnival, Princess. P&O UK World Cruises will not give it to you unless you served in Brit Forces and are a UK Citizen/Resident. Not sure of others.

Les you state the fact that unless you are a brit cit or have served in brit forces,it wont be granted to aus/nz personal.

I'm not complaining Les, though there were times when I felt like it. Worked on the same bases, all over the place. Was accountable to the same people, expected to maintain the same standards (especially when living on base) but held a position with the same authority as a Squadron Leader, got paid less than a Cpl.

Last few years I've done some legal work for them at times, same work as a Group Capt, paid about the same as a Sgt Reservist, but I choose to do it so can't complain.

Because of my back they won't have me as a reservist, but happy to get me in as a consultant.

I really do believe you should push your case contracted as a civ or not.

You were still employed by the military.

You would still be considered military personal.

Our friend is a doctor who has just completed his term as a consultant,and was considered on ground personal.

But as has been stated its ok for the brits,and americans

AUS/NZ as always are shoved aside.

I will try again and see what happens.

You should keep pushing your case.

Esp as you are sailing Cunard.

Edited by mrs and mrs

Hi All,

Cheers,

Nicole

The "can" means it applies selectively. It's only on very selected cruises, like they have with senior and regional discounts. I'd say less than 10% of cruises get discounted.

It doesn't apply here in any case.

I really do believe you should push your case contracted as a civ or not.

You were still employed by the military.

You would still be considered military personal.

Our friend is a doctor who has just completed his term as a consultant,and was considered on ground personal.

But as has been stated its ok for the brits,and americans

AUS/NZ as always are shoved aside.

I will try again and see what happens.

You should keep pushing your case.

Esp as you are sailing Cunard.

Unfortunately, this is the case for Aus/NZ citizens.

Personally, I don't see why some members of the public should get discounts on cruises just because of their job. Despite it being an important one at that, where do you draw the line.

Personally, I don't see why some members of the public should get discounts on cruises just because of their job. Despite it being an important one at that, where do you draw the line.

Yeah mic its annoying,as I said my service records,indicated my cert of patriality.And served in Britain for a very short stint.

Now my new passport doent show it,and to go through the home office and aus gov,is mind boggling to say the least.

At the end of the day it is only on select cruises anyway,so the hassle is prob not worth it.

But will try the process again.:):).

I do agree with your statement though its just a job,and shouldn't disadvantage others.

I think its a big thing in the USA.

Edited by mrs and mrs

Yeah mic its annoying,as I said my service records,indicated my cert of patriality.And served in Britain for a very short stint.

Now my new passport doent show it,and to go through the home office and aus gov,is mind boggling to say the least.

At the end of the day it is only on select cruises anyway,so the hassle is prob not worth it.

But will try the process again.:):).

I do agree with your statement though its just a job,and shouldn't disadvantage others.

I think its a big thing in the USA.

Definitely much bigger there than here, but then they initiate some of these wars, we just follow.

Les you state the fact that unless you are a brit cit or have served in brit forces,it wont be granted to aus/nz personal.

Only referring to P&O UK there, it was a separate sentence, sorry for misunderstanding. Not the other Carnival stable Lines, Cunard, Princess, P&0 Australia etc.

Mic, appreciate your feelings, but the Defence Force OBC etc to Aussies/Kiwis has just flowed over from the USA where the cruise lines have given it to the troops for many years. It was always a sore point here with Princess, 'You give it to the North Americans, why not us?' So they did. In the USA Firefighters, Police, Teachers also get lower prices on some lines. Where will it stop?

Mic, appreciate your feelings, but the Defence Force OBC etc to Aussies/Kiwis has just flowed over from the USA where the cruise lines have given it to the troops for many years. It was always a sore point here with Princess, 'You give it to the North Americans, why not us?' So they did. In the USA Firefighters, Police, Teachers also get lower prices on some lines. Where will it stop?

Now lower prices for teachers, that's a great idea.

But I guess it means I'd have to take that pesky Mrs Gut with me, even if I didn't want too.:mad::eek:;)

Now lower prices for teachers, that's a great idea.

But I guess it means I'd have to take that pesky Mrs Gut with me, even if I didn't want too.:mad::eek:;)

Only if you are from the 'Land of the Free', Mr Gut. Don't get too excited.

BTW, I got a bit better balcony cabin on QM2 for March 2, up to deck 5 from deck 4, now in steerage class plus, LOL. Just rang Cunard and asked them, no extra charge. Have a look at your booking, you might do better to Tasweiga.

Edited by NSWP

Only if you are from the 'Land of the Free', Mr Gut. Don't get too excited.

BTW, I got a bit better balcony cabin on QM2 for March 2, up to deck 5 from deck 4, now in steerage class plus, LOL. Just rang Cunard and asked them, no extra charge. Have a look at your booking, you might do better to Tasweiga.

I realised it was Yanks only.

Thanks for the heads up on the cabin, I'll chase them up.

Edited by GUT2407

OK here's the GIG.

Have just made 2 phone calls to Princess, yes they offer to current/ex military personal these benefits.

6 nights or less $50

7-13 $100

14 nights or longer $250.

Make sure they don't, send you to the Military Benefits Program in your cruise personaliser,as all you will get is U.K,U.S.A and Canadain,applications.

You have to explain that you are AUS/NZ and they will send you a e-mail, with application form(pdf)

Fill out, scan with record,e-mail back and should be approved in six days.

Once done you will never have to do again.:):)

Up to 2 OBC's per/bkng

Exactly, I do not begrudge anyone getting the discount but I do wonder why some professions are valued more for cruises.

Hmmm, They do appear to be public service type jobs so I should be eligible as well.:p

OK here's the GIG.

Have just made 2 phone calls to Princess, yes they offer to current/ex military personal these benefits.

6 nights or less $50

7-13 $100

Make sure they don't, send you to the Military Benefits Program in your cruise personaliser,as all you will get is U.K,U.S.A and Canadain,applications.

You have to explain that you are AUS/NZ and they will send you a e-mail, with application form(pdf)

Up to 2 OBC's per/bkng

Good job.:D

I realised it was Yanks only.

Thanks for the heads up on the cabin, I'll chase them up.

Thanks Uncle Les apparently prices have gone up on mine.

It seems that many who are doing the London to Sydney are staying in for my cruise to get Hobart in too.

OK here's the GIG.

6 nights or less $50

7-13 $100

Up to 2 OBC's per/bkng

Well done, any OBC is good to have.

Exactly, I do not begrudge anyone getting the discount but I do wonder why some professions are valued more for cruises.

Hmmm, They do appear to be public service type jobs so I should be eligible as well.:p

If they give it to military I can understand Police and Firey's, sort of, but teachers, though in the US teachers are on pretty poor pay.

If they give it to military I can understand Police and Firey's, sort of, but teachers, though in the US teachers are on pretty poor pay.

Possibly more to do with Teachers only being able to cruise in peak times. But then that can apply to many professions.