Latest from the National Hurricane Center

winddawn

The National Hurricane Center is tracking 2 systems. It looks like it could be unsettled in both the eastern and western Caribbean for the next week or so. They say the chance for tropical cyclone formation will increase once the wave reaches the western Caribbean in a couple of days--formation chance in the next 5 days is rated high at 70%. (hover your mouse over the red cone for details)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php

I guess we'll have to stay tuned to see if Carnival alters any itineraries as the week progresses.

It's that time of the year.

I'm not sure why I booked a cruise for Labor Day week. And this reminded me of how insane I must have been. Thankfully, I have travel insurance. I was in the Med last year when the cyclone went through and it was a less than pleasant experience- I can't imagine tailing or sailing full-speed ahead to avoid a hurricane.

Edited by Jenna1983

More than over due, actually. This has been the longest period in recorded history without a hurricane entering the Gulf:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-drought-gulf-of-mexico

Yes the "long over due" makes us a bit jumpy here in Cozumel. It is low season so we already see fewer ships, meaning fewer tourists, thus. Less income. Losing work days due to changed itineraries buts a dent in cruising piggy bank.

So I truly hope you get to keep your itinerary and that all of you who are coming to visit Cozumel will drop by the Humane Society of Cozumel and pick up something for your furry kids or pet sitters.

I'm not sure why I booked a cruise for Labor Day week. And this reminded me of how insane I must have been. Thankfully, I have travel insurance. I was in the Med last year when the cyclone went through and it was a less than pleasant experience- I can't imagine tailing or sailing full-speed ahead to avoid a hurricane.

Actually, the weather before and after hurricanes are very calm conditions... The anti cyclone which permits the development of hurricanes inhibits the storms and brings hot, calm conditions with high outflow clouds... So tailing and skirting hurricanes (as the cruise ships do) many times provides cruisers with great weather... No worries, it is what it is... Go with the outflow...

Also, the Med is a completely different story as it is a contained sea with limited places for the wave energy to be dispersed to (think bathtub vs Lake) same energy has vastly different conditions due to the size, depth and surface area...

Edited by poz222
Added

Oh no! We are sailing on August 6 on the Paradise! I wonder where the alternative ports will be? Wahhhhhhhh! We were going to visit friends in Grand Cayman. I wonder how rough it will be? I will have a very seasick prone daughter with me!

Storm sped up, and is expected to be long gone from that area by then. :)

Oh no! We are sailing on August 6 on the Paradise! I wonder where the alternative ports will be? Wahhhhhhhh! We were going to visit friends in Grand Cayman. I wonder how rough it will be? I will have a very seasick prone daughter with me!

Tropical storm conditions could reach the Cayman Islands tonight according to the 2PM Eastern update by the NHC. They are saying a tropical storm could form by later today or tonight.

We cruise in Oct and if weather is rough and we have to miss progresso even for just another day at sea I hear by promise you will not hear single complaint from me LOL

I only book the 5 day w/progresso vs the 4 day with out because the difference in prices is nominal and it's worth paying it so spend the day on board and chill :)

We cruise in Oct and if weather is rough and we have to miss progresso even for just another day at sea I hear by promise you will not hear single complaint from me LOL

I only book the 5 day w/progresso vs the 4 day with out because the difference in prices is nominal and it's worth paying it so spend the day on board and chill :)

I couldn't agree more. Lol.

Right now it's still a low weather system. It's moving relatively quickly (20-25mph) but heading over warmer waters. Tracks are pointing to just south of Belize City, but probably as a TS or TD, on Thursday or Friday. Roatan, Belize City and Costa May ports on Thursday or Friday might be affected. A high to the north is likely to keep it from turning N NW until it reaches landfall.

I hope everyone is able to have a great time on their cruise even if the weather isn't the best. I sail in October and honestly, it never really crossed my mind about the possibility hurricane. I just got my travel insurance like I always do and if one pops up, I'm sure Carnival will move ports around or whatever.

I know the Caribbean is looking forward to some rain though..its been very dry there this year. Sooo..our disappointment is someone else's joy.

We've dodged the bullet now for 10 years since Wilma in 2005.

Our 8 day Southern turned into a 6 day Eastern due to Wilma in 2005, and we left out of Miami instead of Ft. Lauderdale.

Was without water and power for 36 hours in a hotel room with about 15 others that were trying to get on the ship.

We were hoping to get on the ship and be out to sea before she hit, but no.

It was an adventure, and although we were dumb enough to chance it, we were smart enough to get bottled water and some snacks the night before to have for the next couple of days.

These days, everyone wants to travel with me, because, being from Missouri, what are the chances I'll be on *two* cruises that are affected by Hurricanes?

GP

It is what it is. We deal with this every year in south Florida. June-October, rarely November. We've dodged the bullet now for 10 years since Wilma in 2005. Who knows what's going to happen!

September / October can be the worst months. Otherwise, you spend your money, roll your dice and deal with the outcome.

If you sail during hurricane season, and I am NOT saying you shouldn't, this is what you should prepare for.

Well said!

At any point and at any point in your life something horrible can happen, that fact doesn't paralyze folks.

The chance for rain shouldn't even be a concern.

This is why I prefer cruising to an All Inclusive. You are stuck at the AI the whole time during bad weather, a cruise just goes around it. No problem...I'm sailing in September - I know a risk, but we can see what happens!!!

We are just off the Miracl, and our itinerary was flipped for Frank. Was supposed to be LA-Sea-Cabo-Maz-Pv-sea,sea,-LA. Just did it in reverse with PV first. Passing Cabo on sea day 2 everything looked nice there. We had a 7am to 2pm Cabo stop instead of the 10am to 6pm.

Ugh! We are on the Miracle in 11 days. Hoping this doesn't happen to us! How was the weather otherwise?

Carnival has altered itineraries today due to Tropical Storm Earl. Carnival Glory is replacing stops in Belize and Roatan with stops in Nassau and Freeport. Carnival Magic will no longer stop in Belize but will now have a fun day at sea. The stop in Cozumel is being moved up one day.