Help with Amsterdam & Lehavre to Paris

We will be sailing on the Eclipse next June and we have an over night in Amsterdam and Lehavre. For Amsterdam we would like a find a guide to give us a tour of the city and/or surrounding areas for one day. Also, can you hire a guide/driver for transportation from the ship into the city with a city tour for just one day from the port. We would rather not try a do it yourself tour and a couple members in our party has knee issues and can not walk long distances. Thanks for any and all help. Kathy

We will be sailing on the Eclipse next June and we have an over night in Amsterdam and Lehavre. For Amsterdam we would like a find a guide to give us a tour of the city and/or surrounding areas for one day. Also, can you hire a guide/driver for transportation from the ship into the city with a city tour for just one day from the port. We would rather not try a do it yourself tour and a couple members in our party has knee issues and can not walk long distances. Thanks for any and all help. Kathy

Amsterdam is a city that is particularly suited for walking. IMHO, it really is not a city that lends itself well to a driving tour. There are tours available - I suggest that you check-out TripAdvisor. The cruise port is a very short distance from Dam Square. Tram system is wonderful for getting around in order to minimize some of the walking. Also, there are canal boats that offer sightseeing.

I am unsure what you want for LeHavre. It is quite some distance from Paris. A private driver/guide into Paris will be quite expensive (if that is what you are asking) but tours are available. There are other places much closer to LeHavre (Honfleur, Rouen, etc.) to which tours are available.

Edited by dogs4fun

Since parking is a nightmare (rare and very expensive) in Amsterdam, a city tour by car is not recommended.

Easiest is the get a good guidebook and check what you are interested in. Public transport is excellent and frequent, tramnr 26 to Centraal Station leaves not too far from the cruise terminal.

The hopon/off boat is also a great way as is a 1 hour canaltour by boat. http://www.lovers.nl/en/

http://www.lovers.nl/en/museum-cruise/

Also Amsterdam is very walkable, so by far the best way to see the city is do it yourself!

Be aware that Anne Frankhyuis needs to be booked ahead or you must stay in the often long lines after 2.30 pm.

Since parking is a nightmare (rare and very expensive) in Amsterdam, a city tour by car is not recommended.

Easiest is the get a good guidebook and check what you are interested in. Public transport is excellent and frequent, tramnr 26 to Centraal Station leaves not too far from the cruise terminal.

The hopon/off boat is also a great way as is a 1 hour canaltour by boat. http://www.lovers.nl/en/

http://www.lovers.nl/en/museum-cruise/

Also Amsterdam is very walkable, so by far the best way to see the city is do it yourself!

Be aware that Anne Frankhyuis needs to be booked ahead or you must stay in the often long lines after 2.30 pm.

Kathy, I second Ine's suggestion of the canal tour and HOHO boat. The tram system is also excellent and very easy to use, you can buy a day pass for unlimited travel. We were in Amsterdam last year and my mom negotiated the trams quite comfortably.

IMO Anne Frank Huis is a must-see, but it's an old building with steep, narrow steps, hence may be hard on someone with bad knees.

We just returned from the British Isle cruise on the Silhouette. It was a wonderful cruise! We arrived in Amsterdam a couple of days prior to the cruise and stayed at the Renaissance Amsterdam (Marriott) hotel. The location was great and as stated previously the city is walkable. We went to Anne Frank house but be sure to get your tickets prior to leaving which isn't an easy task. They only release so many at a time. We did a private Red Light District tour in the evening with an awesome guide, Mark with thatdamguide.com. We also did a great private walking city tour with Lealu with the same tour co. We did a wonderful private evening canal tour with Paap rederijpaping.nl/#_=_ . Our cruise didn't have an overnight in Le Havre. We had never been to Paris so we took the ship tour, which we normally don't do. It was a very good tour and we are so happy we did it. Hope this helps, if you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

rederijpaping.nl/#_=_ . Our cruise didn't have an overnight in Le Havre. We had never been to Paris so we took the ship tour, which we normally don't do. It was a very good tour and we are so happy we did it. Hope this helps, if you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

I assume the ships tour included the transportation to Paris. How long did the tour take and do you feel like you got to see most of the highlights. I have looked at the ships tour and wondered if it would be the best for the first time to Paris.

Kathy, I second Ine's suggestion of the canal tour and HOHO boat. The tram system is also excellent and very easy to use, you can buy a day pass for unlimited travel. We were in Amsterdam last year and my mom negotiated the trams quite comfortably.

IMO Anne Frank Huis is a must-see, but it's an old building with steep, narrow steps, hence may be hard on someone with bad knees.

Other then the tickets for the Anne Frank house, did you book the canal tour or HOHO boat before the trip or just after you got there. Thanks Kathy

I assume the ships tour included the transportation to Paris. How long did the tour take and do you feel like you got to see most of the highlights. I have looked at the ships tour and wondered if it would be the best for the first time to Paris.

Yes we were transported in a large bus which made a 2.5 hr drive each way more comfortable. The guide was very good giving info along the way and especially in Paris. Here's the title of the tour we took Paris LH17 $159.75 - 10.5 hrs. Here's the tour itinerary I was given by X excursions;

8:30am-11:00am Drive to PARIS by the Highway with a stop for restroom.

11:00am-13:00pm (11-1) Sightseeing tour of Paris (Champs Elysées, Opéra, Louvre….)

13:00pm–13:30pm (1-1:30) Boarding the ship for sightseeing tour on River Seine.

13:30am-14:30pm (1:30-2:30) Sightseeing tour on the River Seine.

14:30pm-16:45pm (2:30-4:45) Free time at leisure.

16:45pm-17:00pm (4:45-5) Meet guide and driver.

17:00pm-19:30pm (4:45-7:30) Drive back to Le Havre.

There were 10 of us in our group of friends. We all agreed it was a very good excursion. Lunch was on our own along with shopping before leaving Paris. We loved the boat tour on the River Seine and got some great pictures. However you get there I would say not to miss Paris, if you've never been there. Beautiful!

Other then the tickets for the Anne Frank house, did you book the canal tour or HOHO boat before the trip or just after you got there. Thanks Kathy

Kathy, we didn't do the HOHO boat, just bought the day pass on the tram from the driver. There are any number of canal tours and you can just walk up and buy tickets, you might have to wait a little while for the next departure, that's all. Suggest going in the evening, that way you get to see some bit of the illumination as it gets darker towards the end of the tour.

You have to book tickets to AFH, it's a small place and they have limited people in each time slot. Bookings open up 3-4 months ahead, though you can start checking from Jan 2017. We also pre-booked tickets to the Rijks and Van Gogh museums, these again have long lines.

With respect to Amsterdam, we did a couple of walking tours with Mark Law, AKA That Dam Guide. Mark is great. I'd book him again in a minute. You can read his reviews on Trip Advisor.

I'll look him up but I'm a little worried in Amsterdam that it will just require more walking than a couple of us can do with bad knees. Thanks for the suggestion.