MSC Divina Cruise Review - July 23rd Caribbean Sailing

macdon9876

Thanks for the review. I had also originally booked the same cruise but suspected that there wasn't enough children's activities aside from the enrolled programs which we would have skipped. We canceled and ended up booking the NCL Getaway later on. I'm eyeing the MSC Seaside which seems to have a lot more physical activities on board.

Thanks for the review. I had also originally booked the same cruise but suspected that there wasn't enough children's activities aside from the enrolled programs which we would have skipped. We canceled and ended up booking the NCL Getaway later on. I'm eyeing the MSC Seaside which seems to have a lot more physical activities on board.

Just out of curiosity, how did you find the Breakaway for kids (or have you sailed yet)?

I don't know when we'll sail again with our boys - the next cruise will definitely be a couples cruise - but it might happen in the next few years.

Just out of curiosity, how did you find the Breakaway for kids (or have you sailed yet)?

I don't know when we'll sail again with our boys - the next cruise will definitely be a couples cruise - but it might happen in the next few years.

It's the Getaway in December and I'll probably post a quick review like you as a pay back for the type I've picked up from here.

For kids NCL.

We are sailing on the Divina soon, and my husband is wondering about the dress code in the MDR. Are they as strict as it states in their guidelines? That is, do men need to wear a jacket every night or is a collared shirt without a jacket okay?

We are sailing on the Divina soon, and my husband is wondering about the dress code in the MDR. Are they as strict as it states in their guidelines? That is, do men need to wear a jacket every night or is a collared shirt without a jacket okay?

Sadly, the dress code does not seem to be enforced. I saw very few people in the MDR in jackets at night. I saw shorts at lunch with tank tops...it was horrid! But, at night, pants and collared shirts were the norm...

Edited by TheSoccerCoach

They don't seem to be strict at all about enforcing any type of dress code.

On the first formal night when we ate in the MDR, I wore a suit. The majority of diners in the MDR were dressed up - the variety is what you'd expect, from suits to a few tuxes. There were a few people who opted not to dress up - I saw a couple of shorts and jeans. To each their own.

On the two other nights we ate in the MDR, I was comfortable in slacks and a collared, tucked-in shirt. I did not wear a jacket nor did I see the need to do so.

Keep in mind, too, that Divina does three theme nights: White Night; Red-White-Green Night; and Retro Night. These seem to ease the expected dress code a bit by virtue of the theme (for instance, on Red-White-Green night I wore a nice red golf/polo shirt).

As with on our first cruise last year, we dress as we feel appropriate and comfortable. We enjoy the formal nights since we rarely - outside of weddings - get dressed up. How others choose to enjoy their time is really none of our business and it doesn't affect our happiness or enjoyment of our cruise.

I will say, I was rather surprised about MSC's suggestion to wear collared shirts and pants (for men) after 6pm in "public areas" of the ship. I can understand the dining rooms and perhaps the suggestion on formal nights, but other areas such as bars, etc. on regular nights seemed a bit odd, to me. There were a few days when we opted to just stay in shorts and t-shirts, and it seemed fine.

Thanks for the info; sounds like what he was hoping for. I like to dress up too as we live in Florida and no one dresses up for anything here. He was just hoping to wear his suit on formal nights and collared shirts and slacks the other nights, so he'll be happy. We wondered about that "no shorts at night" rule, but I figured they wouldn't enforce that. Maybe that works in Europe, but in the Caribbean? I wouldn't think so. Thanks again!

They don't seem to be strict at all about enforcing any type of dress code.

Keep in mind, too, that Divina does three theme nights: White Night; Red-White-Green Night; and Retro Night. These seem to ease the expected dress code a bit by virtue of the theme (for instance, on Red-White-Green night I wore a nice red golf/polo shirt).

What is Retro Night?

Red-White-Green night? Are you supposed to wear all three colors, or just one? (White night I get;)).

Do they inform you of these theme nights in advance. In your cruise docs?

What is Retro Night?

Red-White-Green night? Are you supposed to wear all three colors, or just one? (White night I get;)).

These are standard theme nights for them.

The Retro Night is for the "Flower Glory Party." Think 60's/70's.

Red/White/Green it "Italian Night" - Think Italy! :-)

The White Night is dressing in white head to toe.

Just off Divina - my daughter, age 8, had no problem going on the water slide although neither of my kids thought it was very good -- very "flat" and they had to actually help push themselves through (they have been to indoor water parks, etc so that may have influenced their opinion as the slide on Divina did not even compare); the ages stated were listed as 8 in one place and 9 in another.

Sadly, the dress code does not seem to be enforced. I saw very few people in the MDR in jackets at night. I saw shorts at lunch with tank tops...it was horrid! But, at night, pants and collared shirts were the norm...

I hear ya! I saw a guy in shorts and a tank top in the MDR for lunch one time and I still have not recovered. Scarred me for life. 😱

Just off Divina - my daughter, age 8, had no problem going on the water slide although neither of my kids thought it was very good -- very "flat" and they had to actually help push themselves through (they have been to indoor water parks, etc so that may have influenced their opinion as the slide on Divina did not even compare); the ages stated were listed as 8 in one place and 9 in another.

I just took a look at the dailies from the Divina cruise my parents were on in May. Next to the water slide information, it states, "minimum age: 8+ and/or shorter than 47.24 inch" I'm thinking there is a translation issue here. I'm pretty sure that shorter should be taller. I'm not sure why there is an and/or.

One of our friends was on another MSC ship (can't remember which) and has a photo sat besides one of the pools and the depth of the water is showing as being 5 ft 12 inches. So something lost in translation there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just took a look at the dailies from the Divina cruise my parents were on in May. Next to the water slide information, it states, "minimum age: 8+ and/or shorter than 47.24 inch" I'm thinking there is a translation issue here. I'm pretty sure that shorter should be taller. I'm not sure why there is an and/or.

I had to go check our dailies - we never thought to look there and didn't notice - and it says the same thing. It wouldn't have helped our argument with the water slide bouncer: our son is seven, but he is definitely taller than 47.24" ! :rolleyes:

They must have converted from metric to get that odd height requirement in inches. It is 120 cm, or 1.2 m.

The following is what's included in the travel documents from MSC:

Not sure what to pack? Here are a few simple guidelines:

Things to pack: casual clothes for life on board; a swimsuit; a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit/formal gown or cocktail dress for gala evenings; party outfits for the white party and '70s night; shoes and tracksuit for gym lovers; a pullover or a shawl for the change in temperature; a travel adapter for any electrical devices.

Things NOT to pack: alcohol, firearms, sharp objects, irons, hair straighteners, food or beverages (all forbidden on board). For further details of items not allowed on board, please check the final page of this document.

Things you can leave at home: pool towels or hairdryers (you'll find these in your cabin); cigarettes, sun cream or beauty products (all available from the onboard shops).

Things to keep in your hand luggage: travel documents, money, jewellery, electronic devices, medicines, nappies, and any other valuables or items you may need at short notice.

Funnily enough, they don't mention Italian (red, white & green) night.

I see they specify hair-straighteners in the "NOT to pack" list and declare "forbidden onboard!

Edited by Beamafar

Funnily enough, they don't mention Italian (red, white & green) night.

I see they specify hair-straighteners in the "NOT to pack" list and declare "forbidden onboard!

I had read about Italian night somewhere (not in official literature, but on a website, possibly here somewhere) so that is how I knew about it beforehand.

My wife brought her hair straightener onboard, no problem. YMMV. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums