Wine in Galveston

tigresslea

Specs Liqour not open on Sunday.

But best selection .

Kroger grocery second best selection and open Sunday's .

Wine after noon.

Rest open on Sunday also and wine after noon.

Edited by ssb

Our cruise is leaving on a Saturday so no problem with buying wine on Sunday. Only problem is that we are flying in to IAH and taking a shuttle to the port. Any stores within walking distance to the port so we can pick up some wine?

Our cruise is leaving on a Saturday so no problem with buying wine on Sunday. Only problem is that we are flying in to IAH and taking a shuttle to the port. Any stores within walking distance to the port so we can pick up some wine?

Where are you staying ?

I buy wine in Kroger often and most wines seem cheaper than Spec's
:)

Maybe so, both have buying power though!!!

I would think Specs will have broader and more world wide specialty selection I believe .

Could be also what Krogers want to get rid of, AND loss leaders at Kroger!

Kroger is a GROCERY STORE (shelf turnover important).

George C I know you know these Stores being from Texas. Other folks are out of State and Country, and may not be familiar with Specs and Kroger names! .

We shop at both stores depending on specialty Italian, Spanish wines desired!

And bring in wine from Hill Country (Grape Creek, Becker and others)

wineroad 290 . com /

We love our TEXAS Hill Country, Wines , Olive's and Peaches!

Edited by ssb

Hi, Mary and Lee

Sorry to high jack this thread. Just wanted to mention we spent 2 days this week on the 290 Wine Road. We were amazed at the changes. It had been 10-12 years since we had been there. Took a road trip, intending to visit a few wineries near Dripping Springs and on to Fredericksburg. Wonderful trip and we will be back.

Just a way to get out of the heat here near Waco. I knew wineries would be cool!

We loved 4.0 winery and are members at their sister property Lone Oak Winery in Burleson.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi, Mary and Lee

Sorry to high jack this thread. Just wanted to mention we spent 2 days this week on the 290 Wine Road. We were amazed at the changes. It had been 10-12 years since we had been there. Took a road trip, intending to visit a few wineries near Dripping Springs and on to Fredericksburg. Wonderful trip and we will be back.

Just a way to get out of the heat here near Waco. I knew wineries would be cool!

We loved 4.0 winery and are members at their sister property Lone Oak Winery in Burleson.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Margee and Bill

We have been to Hill Country Gruene and Fredricksburg twice in last few months! It is the Napa Valley of TEXAS for wine and olives.

Envious of you on trip, and wish we could have been there with you. We are Grape Creek fans. We will be try 4.0 next time! Hope you made over to Trattoria Lasina in Driftwood on your way? Here is a tease for you!

2012 ULTRA-RARE CAYMUS 40TH ANNIVERSARY ACCESS...

775ff75f-e265-4b37-acdb-2dab5f364ba9.jpg

We Asked our Closest Friends to help us find the Ultra-Rare, Impossible to Acquire, Not Available Anywhere in the World, Super Exclusive, 2012 CAYMUS 40TH ANNIVERSARY Cabernet Sauvignon

Looking forward to Quebec City NJ Galveston run!:D

Edited by ssb

Where are you staying ?

We are catching a 7am flight from DFW to IAH the day of the cruise. This will be the first time I have not stayed at a hotel pre-cruise. Hope this doesn't bite me on the butt (lol). We are taking Galveston Express to the port from Houston so we don't have a car. Wonder if they would stop at a store for us so we can get some wine???

We are catching a 7am flight from DFW to IAH the day of the cruise. This will be the first time I have not stayed at a hotel pre-cruise. Hope this doesn't bite me on the butt (lol). We are taking Galveston Express to the port from Houston so we don't have a car. Wonder if they would stop at a store for us so we can get some wine???

Yes good luck same day . We have done both ways and were like last on the ship

over in Florida from Houston flight. It was rather stressful.

However the worse was getting back to ship 3 hrs late from Cairo after two days , into the port of Alexandra Egypt on a private tour, and thinking we were missing departure. Luckily a ship excursion was late arriving also.

Yes Money always talk with drivers as far as the wine store.

Edited by ssb

You know you should no problem from Dallas/Ft Worth. :)

We always just throw a few bottles in checked luggage, never had a problem with that, been doing this for decades ( Hobby is so much closer)

We are flying in from WA state for the 8/28 cruise on the Breeze. A few of you mention your local wines; are there a few you would recommend in the moderate price range? Also, we will be staying at the Holiday Inn Resort in Galveston...is there a place to buy wine within walking distance? :)

Edited by rstunger

We are flying in from WA state for the 8/28 cruise on the Breeze. A few of you mention your local wines; are there a few you would recommend in the moderate price range? Also, we will be staying at the Holiday Inn Resort in Galveston...is there a place to buy wine within walking distance? :)

Kroger Grocery Store (many good selections) 2 blocks away from Holiday Inn Resort (if the HIR hotel is next door to San Luis Hotel). Wines we are talking about are not necessarily wholesaled, but sold direct thru the Winery Clubs and/or direct from location of Winery. These are hours away from Galveston in distance! Personal tastes would apply also.

Edited by ssb

Kroger Grocery Store (many good selections) 2 blocks away from Holiday Inn Resort (if the HIR hotel is next door to San Luis Hotel). Wines we are talking about are not necessarily wholesaled, but sold direct thru the Winery Clubs and/or direct from location of Winery. These are hours away from Galveston in distance! Personal tastes would apply also.

Thank you, SSB. Good to know there's a nearby place to grab a couple bottles. I thought about packing a couple bottles in our checked baggage when we fly, but fear red wine stains on all the clothing. 😬

Is there a place, walking distance, near La Quinta Airport? Or at Hobby that wine can be purchased?

There isn't much close to the La Quinta. Nothing in walking distance that I know. There is a Specs about 3.6 miles away. We stayed at the La Quinta last cruise (2014) and got a taxi to go to dinner and buy wine. Taxi took 30 minutes to arrive then had the same driver all night. Did not look at buying wine inside Hobby airport before departing.