Pre-cruise trip to the Keys with kids

sportmorgan

Thinking of tacking on 2-3 days in the keys before our April cruise on the Allure.

Anyone have suggestions on things to do with 8 and 10 year old girls? I went to the Dolphin Research Center about 30 years ago (!) and thought I'd bring the kids there, and maybe some easy snorkeling, but wondering what else might be fun, and perhaps a good place to stay. Would we be nuts to get up early to drive to Port Everglades from say Islamorada on embarkation day?

Thanks!

Thinking of tacking on 2-3 days in the keys before our April cruise on the Allure.

Anyone have suggestions on things to do with 8 and 10 year old girls? I went to the Dolphin Research Center about 30 years ago (!) and thought I'd bring the kids there, and maybe some easy snorkeling, but wondering what else might be fun, and perhaps a good place to stay. Would we be nuts to get up early to drive to Port Everglades from say Islamorada on embarkation day?

Thanks!

A wonderful place for the kids is the Turtle Hospital in Marathon. There is a 90-minute educational session and hospital tour, followed by a visit to the tanks where there are the permanent "resident" turtles, as well as the turtles being rehabilitated for release. Admission is $22 for adults and $11 for kids ages 4-12.

http://www.turtlehospital.org/

In Islamorada, the kids will love to feed the tarpon from the docks at Robbie's:

http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm

Big Pine Key is known for the teeny tiny Key Deer that roam wildly. You should see lots of them along the way to the No Name Pub (family-friendly and a great place for pizza!).

Edited by brunello22

Would we be nuts to get up early to drive to Port Everglades from say Islamorada on embarkation day?

Thanks!

It's more than 100 miles from Islamorada to Pt. Everglades. I wouldn't do it embarkation day, but others would. Driving time is more than 2 hours if everythng goes perfectly.

I agree, I wouldn't try to drive from Islamorada the day of the cruise. There is only one way in and out, and if there's an accident, no way.

I'd suggest spending the day in the Keys and then after dinner making the drive to someplace on the main land. There are a handful of reasonably priced hotels in the Coral Gables area. It's about a 90 minute drive at night with no traffic, it can be a lot longer in the daytime due to traffic.

I'd stay in Key Largo ... going down to Islam' does put you in the 'one road' risk area, but from Key Largo there IS an alternate route back to Miami (Card Sound Road) .... staying in KL, you can easily day trip down to Islam' for exploring.

In Key Largo you will find the big chain motels and plenty of places to eat etc. I prefer to stay at one of the small "old Florida Keys" places that are all around. For example http://www.pelicankeylargo.com/ ....

In Key Largo be sure to visit John Pennekamp State Park ... ideal for your kids. There are beach areas, a small aquarium, canoe and kayak rentals, glass bottom boat rides and snorkel tours ... http://pennekamppark.com/

Do note if you don't remember ... there is not much good snorkeling from the shore in the Keys, for the most part you need to take a boat out to the coral areas .... they do not come up to the shoreline

Edited by Capt_BJ

I agree, I wouldn't try to drive from Islamorada the day of the cruise. There is only one way in and out, and if there's an accident, no way.

I'd suggest spending the day in the Keys and then after dinner making the drive to someplace on the main land. There are a handful of reasonably priced hotels in the Coral Gables area. It's about a 90 minute drive at night with no traffic, it can be a lot longer in the daytime due to traffic.

This.

Islamorada is too far on embarkation day.

I like the idea of Coral Gables because of its proximity to the keys, its proximity to Port Everglades, and the fact that it is a very cool area.