A la carte dining

Evangaline

When NCL announced a la carte dining at their specialty restaurants, the happy line was that passengers needed only pay for the food they wanted, so in some cases it would be cheaper, the bla bla went.

So I am wondering if there is anything preventing you from going to Cagneys. Le Bistro, LA Cucina etc and just ordering an appetizer?

When NCL announced a la carte dining at their specialty restaurants, the happy line was that passengers needed only pay for the food they wanted, so in some cases it would be cheaper, the bla bla went.

So I am wondering if there is anything preventing you from going to Cagneys. Le Bistro, LA Cucina etc and just ordering an appetizer?

Be happy. Order what you want. Go for a dessert and coffee if you want.

You should feel free to order what you would like and no one is going to stop you. What you are suggesting is exactly the reason they probably went to a la carte pricing. For me, dinner at Cagney's would cost $30, plus gratuity when it was fixed pricing and now it only costs $26 including gratuity with the a la carte pricing, so it is cheaper for me.

Just be prepared for huge pressure to order a main dish. We did appetizers and desserts in Le Bistro (completely NOT worth the cost when compared to what's free in the main dining rooms) and they didn't know what to do with us.

You should feel free to order what you would like and no one is going to stop you. What you are suggesting is exactly the reason they probably went to a la carte pricing. For me, dinner at Cagney's would cost $30, plus gratuity when it was fixed pricing and now it only costs $26 including gratuity with the a la carte pricing, so it is cheaper for me.

I'm new to NCL so a little confused about this we have the dining package and the way I read this is that is the cover charge but you still need to pay for what you order. Am I understanding that correctly. I thought it covered the complete cost of the restaurant except for gratuity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm new to NCL so a little confused about this we have the dining package and the way I read this is that is the cover charge but you still need to pay for what you order. Am I understanding that correctly. I thought it covered the complete cost of the restaurant except for gratuity.

The food and the cover charges (for those restaurants that have them) are included in your dining package. So unless you order a second entree or the upcharge items on the menu, you are all set and won't have to pay anything more.

The food and the cover charges (for those restaurants that have them) are included in your dining package. So unless you order a second entree or the upcharge items on the menu, you are all set and won't have to pay anything more.

Thanks for the info.

I also have a question about a la carte dining. I was just looking at a menu for Cagney's and I know the hubs is going to want to order multiple entrees. We still have the old UDP- not the SDP. Is this going to be a problem?

I also have a question about a la carte dining. I was just looking at a menu for Cagney's and I know the hubs is going to want to order multiple entrees. We still have the old UDP- not the SDP. Is this going to be a problem?
You will have to pay for extra entrees.

You will have to pay for extra entrees.

That seems so strange to me. I mean, we can always order one entree, leave, and turn around and come back for another go! 😒

Thanks for the quick response, though. 😎

That seems so strange to me. I mean, we can always order one entree, leave, and turn around and come back for another go!

Thanks for the quick response, though.

Maybe I'm incorrect, as I've never order more than one entree. I'd ask when you arrive for your dinner.

I found these:

For sailings on or before July 2nd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00.

For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar and Gelato are not part of the package.

Edited by NLH Arizona

That seems so strange to me. I mean, we can always order one entree, leave, and turn around and come back for another go!
So do that. Just like with the UBP, you can always order another drink right after you finish the previous one, but that doesn't mean you can ask for a double or a triple right off the bat.

I found these:

For sailings on or before July 2nd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00.

For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar and Gelato are not part of the package.

Thanks for posting this. Coverage/exceptions are now more clear to me.

So if you just went for desert and coffee, do you still need to make a reservation?

Not really sure what your question is. If you want a table during prime time, you need a reservation. You need some place to sit whether you are eating a steak or a piece of cake.

I ended up with a 3-dinner package. I know you can't order an extra entrée without being charged, but can you order two apps such as an app and a bowl of soup, followed by an entrée? Basically wondered if you are restricted to one app.

I ended up with a 3-dinner package. I know you can't order an extra entrée without being charged, but can you order two apps such as an app and a bowl of soup, followed by an entrée? Basically wondered if you are restricted to one app.

Appetizers and desserts have no such restriction. At Cagney's one night I had two shrimp cocktails. Another night the two of us ordered one dessert each, with a third to split.