Royal Princess July16-31 Greed Med Review

Travlin grrl

Beach day! There are no excursions to the beach so we are going to DIY. Today was one of those days where everything went too smooth. We got into port at 12:00 and will be there till 8:30. Instead of trying to figure out the bus for 4 people we decided to grab a taxi to Amadourro beach. The sign for it outside has a price for 15 Euros. So for once we happened to be one of the first 20 or so off the ship and headed for the shuttle to the terminal (which is mandatory) and then hopped on front row (that never happens) so were first on to the waiting taxis. We pointed where we wanted to go and the taxi driver said the other beach (I think it was called Kaliterous or something like that) for 17 euros and was supposed to be a little better and they are only about 10 minutes or 4-5 miles away. When we got there we saw umbrellas with lounge chairs (bring your own towels) they rent for 2 euros a chair.*

So for 8 euros we got 2 umbrellas and 4 chairs. They have free wi-fi , showers, toilets, changing rooms and a snack bar with everything from wine, beer, snacks, food items and ice cream bars. Someone will bring it all to you but we didn't know what we wanted so we walked up to the snack bar and ordered 2 beers, 1 ouzo, lg. bag of chips, fries (which was huge and came with bread) 3 granites ( lemon, melon and strawberry) all for 21eruos. Remember the day before was 20 euros for 1 beer and 2 smoothies so we felt like we got the deal of the day. The water is crystal blue clear and really warm so we go in a few times getting into the water and try to "go pro" *a few moments before getting knocked over in the waves. There are speakers that play new world/cultural dance music *and you have that *"I can't believe I'm sitting here at a Greek Mediterranean Beach having a drink with a cool breeze blowing through my hair" moment.*

We asked the taxi driver Thfo to pick us up at 5:00*and he was there exactly at 5:00. Just in case there were taxi drivers waiting there to get you back so I don't think there is a problem returning. We again were the first ones to get on the shuttle on the front seat and no lines to get on the ship. It was seamless and probably only a once in a lifetime thing as we are effortlessly moving from one place to the next like we were the only ones there. The Greek Gods were shining down on us.*

Been reading as we leave for our Med cruise this Thursday (Athens to Rome). Our stops in Turkey and Malta were replaced with Kotor & Corfu and I wasn't too happy about it, but seeing your photos is making it better. I especially perked up when you said about all the cats in Kotor. I am a cat person (Love dogs too), and on every European tip I have also snapped a photo of a cat and/or dog. Was hoping this trip didn't break the tradition. :)

Been reading as we leave for our Med cruise this Thursday (Athens to Rome). Our stops in Turkey and Malta were replaced with Kotor & Corfu and I wasn't too happy about it, but seeing your photos is making it better. I especially perked up when you said about all the cats in Kotor. I am a cat person (Love dogs too), and on every European tip I have also snapped a photo of a cat and/or dog. Was hoping this trip didn't break the tradition. :)

I know I had a picture of some cats on the shop displays but sometimes I delete photos along the way if they didn't come out so good. I 'll have to look for that one. Yes Kotor is a reqlly cute, medieval town and you'll see plenty of cats.

I have more pics of Kotor on my blog.

http://travlintheworld.blogspot.com/2016/09/kotor-montenegro.html

After Crete we went to the Beatles in the Princess theatre and I have to say that is the most packed I ever see the theatre and know you have to get there early to get a seat. I will try to post a video but not sure if it will work or not. One lady went dancing down the aisle and drug another guy down with her , it was pretty funny. Everyone is singing, dancing and having a good time.

Our last port day before disembarkation in Athens and I can't believe it's almost over.. We have an all day Princess shore excursion. First we went to Elias beach for a 3 hr fun morning in the crystal blue waters where you can see the bottom. It's about a 30-45 minute drive out there and it's a beautiful resort. OK the lounge chairs and umbrellas are nicer and they are right at the edge of the water which is going to cost us. Remember I said Crete was 2 Euros a chair? This is 25 Euros for 2 chairs and umbrella for the first 3 rows and the last rows are 20 Euros each. They change prices according to season. So there are 4 of us and of course we are going with the front row and that will cost us 50 Euros. Good thing they take credit card. We hear that Leonardo Di Caprio is in town and there happens to be a yacht in the water with the name "Plan B" on it which we recognize as Brad Pitt's production company name. Maybe he's lending it to Leo, but we never find out. The water is colder than yesterday but I force myself to go in because I have to (It's the Greek Mediterranean) and my husband wants to use his GoPro and film me swimming haha. So in we go and swim around in the salty sea water and I just can't get used to the clear water that you can see to the bottom. One of the great things about this place is they have free wifi. *So posting pic's on FB of this beautiful place, checking in on the home front and relaxing in the shade I want to stay here forever.

But after 3 hours we head back to the shuttle bus (which is only about 15 people on this one )we drive over to a small quaint place for lunch and next door is a small monastery that we tour. There are some small souvenier shops and I almost bought these hand made magnets of glass that were so pretty but we were rushed and I thought there were more in Mykonos. There weren't ...so if you ever do this excursion know that these are the only place I saw them at. Oh well, sometimes we make mistakes on our way.

On to Mykonos and our guide takes us through town and it is super windy today. You can either stay on your own, or have a little time on your own and go back with her. We want to stay on our own and just explore. So many cute little shops and beautiful photo ops every where you turn. It's *a Friday and all the young people are in town for the weekend so it's pretty crazy. Mykonos is so pretty but looks so different from 20 years ago. When we are ready to go back we take the Sea Bus which is only 2 Euros per person. Make sure you buy your tickets first because our guide said that if you get on the Sea Bus with out your ticket they get mad and kick you off.

When we get back to the ship we know it's time to pack our bags and say goodbye to the Royal and the amazing cruise we had.

We disembark in Athens and goes seamlessly as usual. It is very organized and arrive at our hotel called Status Suite in Athens. I found it in on Hotels.com*and this is close to everything. Another hotel down a narrow alley way but a pleasant suprise when we got our room which is white, large and very clean. It wasn't ready when we got here so we did the HOHO bus around town. Athens is not the best city for touring (we felt like we were going through downtown LA) and there is definitely a lot of graffiti everywhere, more than most cities. We get off in the shopping area to do souvenir shopping and grab a drink. If you go to the Plaka area and h Square there are a lot of shops to get baklavah, soaps and last minute gifts.

One place my daughter and niece stopped at was the Dr. Fish store where for 10 Euros you get 10 minutes of soaking your feet in water where tiny little fish come suction off your dead skin. Well of course I had to try it too. First you wash off your feet from your knee down and put your feet into a tank where tiny little fish swarm around *your feet and if you are ticklish like my daughter you will start laughing and giggling as it is a tickling sensation. When you are done your feet will feel super soft and smooth. I couldn't convince my husband to try it.

When we come back our room still isn't ready so we go nearby and get lunch. After lunch and 100 degree weather we get our air condiitioned cool room and it is now late afternoon. Only thing is I had booked a private tour of the Acropolis at 5:30*because it would be less crowded and the sun would be starting to go down so better photos. We were all exhausted but had to see the Acropolis before we go. So since our HOHO were still valid we hopped on it for a couple stops to meet our guide at the Acropolis metro station. It was still hot and humid and our energy levels were dwindling. The water I brought is now just warm bottled water. We meet our guide , get our tickets and have a group of 12 people. We had a great guide who was a great resource and moved at a good pace. It was beautiful lighting and not too crowded. At the end of the tour we had to say good bye so we could head over to the snack stand and get lemon aid slushies as I felt like I just wanted to put it on my forehead. I could feel the coldness going down my pipes. Something so cold never tasted so good. We walked down the hill and navigated the narrow winding alleyways back *to the hotel. I was here 25 years ago and there is still a big homeless cat population except now we see a lot of big dogs with long fur laying around the streets in 100+ weather. It is sad to see and I'm not sure if that is a problem that they are working on or not.

After we get back to the hotel we all take turns jumping into the shower and guess what? There is a rooftop restaraunt on the 6th floor and a bar on the 7th floor. A couple friends meet us on the 7th for drinks before we eat dinner on the 6th**Can I just say that this makes it all the worthwhile to stay at this hotel. The view is the church and the Acropolis all lit up at night. It was a warm night, glass of wine and beautiful rooftop view. You couldn't ask for more. Then we went for dinner on the *6th floor and I*had ordered**the linguine with vegetables and it was amazing. A great way to end our vacation as tomorrow we are heading home on a long flight.*

Great review. Loving your travel stories.

We have also experienced the "really, our hotel is down an alley, is that a homeless person over there, is there a hotel or will be mugged and left for dead moment" in Europe. Luckily it has always worked out just fine, so far and we always laugh afterward.

Ohiodoglover

Seems Kotor and Corfu were not bad replacements for Istanbul and Kusadasi

I have to disagree. I enjoyed Kotor but Corfu was more of the same. Istanbul is one of my top 3 cities to visit in the world. It is amazing. Ephesus is another amazing attraction. Those were the two main reasons we booked this cruise.

Great review. Loving your travel stories.

We have also experienced the "really, our hotel is down an alley, is that a homeless person over there, is there a hotel or will be mugged and left for dead moment" in Europe. Luckily it has always worked out just fine, so far and we always laugh afterward.

Ohiodoglover

Thanks, and yes I guess it is just a European thing which adds character to the city and yes we laugh afterward too. I think it's more fun to have that than something generic.

I have to disagree. I enjoyed Kotor but Corfu was more of the same. Istanbul is one of my top 3 cities to visit in the world. It is amazing. Ephesus is another amazing attraction. Those were the two main reasons we booked this cruise.

I agree with you that Istanbul and Ephesus are nice places to visit. We have been there during our Holy Land cruise on the Pacific Princess in 2013.

I have not been to Kotor and Corfu. It replaced, not chosen over, Istanbul and Ephesus, according to the OP, Travlin grrl.

On Posts #56-60 and Posts #70-#73, the OP seemed they enjoyed Kotor and Corfu too.

Thanks.

Time to pack our bags and head home on the long flight home. Our concierge called a taxi and we loaded up and headed up to the airport. It's a long flight home with a connection in Montreal so we take a couple Advil PM to help us sleep and drown out the shrills of a toddler couple rows back. A nice suprise later in the flight when the captain alerts us that we are flying over Iceland. Lucky we have a window seat to snap some quick amazing photos.

20160731_095744_zps8rq6zqxf.jpg

20160731_100217_zpsxbhisneq.jpg

I have all the Princess Patters and Ports so if anyone wants to see any let me know which one and I'll try to take a photo of it and post it.

I have lots more photos on my blog. I just didn't want to put too many on here even though I figured it out about half way through.

If any one has questions I'll do my best to answer them.

I agree with you that Istanbul and Ephesus are nice places to visit. We have been there during our Holy Land cruise on the Pacific Princess in 2013.

I have not been to Kotor and Corfu. It replaced, not chosen over, Istanbul and Ephesus, according to the OP, Travlin grrl.

On Posts #56-60 and Posts #70-#73, the OP seemed they enjoyed Kotor and Corfu too.

Thanks.

:) I'm glad that she enjoyed it. We were actually on the same cruise. I was on the ship from Rome to Athens. :)I will say my best wine and olives came from our day in Kotor. Yummy!