2 for 1 deals in the UK

Mrs Miggins

I have read with interest the recent Travel Agents thread, This also mentioned 2 for 1 deals. I have looked on the UK Viking Ocean Site (I cannot seem to access the US site) and there is no mention that I can find of any similar deals.

In addition Travel Agent rebates of 15% to the client are mentioned in that thread. I booked our forthcoming cruise via a UK travel agent but got nowhere near 15%.

I wonder if anyone can help with these queries ? I know specific TA's cannot be mentioned.

You do realize that the two for one deal has made Viking infamous. They base the two for one off their brochure pricing, which no one ever ever ever pays.

They do the same marketing ploys on the river cruises. Everyone makes jokes about the silly Viking two-for-one deals. They never expire and there's always another one.

I am not sure who started that trend, but I am seeing this with several cruise lines. The "brochure price", then the 2 for 1 price.

Maybe in the UK they don't do this, and just show you the real price, but don't name it as 2 for 1 price? I am sorry, I don't know the answer.

Pl

I am not sure who started that trend, but I am seeing this with several cruise lines. The "brochure price", then the 2 for 1 price.

Maybe in the UK they don't do this, and just show you the real price, but don't name it as 2 for 1 price? I am sorry, I don't know the answer.

Yes. Oceania has jumped onto this bandwagon (bogo) and Azamara has buy one, get companion at 50% off.

The cruise lines must think we're pretty stupid, that we can't do the math, and we fall for their marketing campaigns. All I care about is how many US dollars I have to pay to get on board. The cruise lines can call their promotions anything they want, but I do the math and I come up with a number.;)

Ignore the hype and whatever they call their pricing. Just answer the question: how much does it cost?

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now

I have read with interest the recent Travel Agents thread, This also mentioned 2 for 1 deals. I have looked on the UK Viking Ocean Site (I cannot seem to access the US site) and there is no mention that I can find of any similar deals.

In addition Travel Agent rebates of 15% to the client are mentioned in that thread. I booked our forthcoming cruise via a UK travel agent but got nowhere near 15%.

I wonder if anyone can help with these queries ? I know specific TA's cannot be mentioned.

US prices are available only to US residents and UK prices are only available to UK residents.

Comparing discounts and 2 for 1 deals is not the way to go; what you need to compare is what you actually pay for a cabin--the bottom-line

I was able to get into the Viking UK site to compare prices.

Using as an example, for the cheapest DV cabin on the New Years in the Med cruise:

UK: Brochure L4400. Current sale offering: L3980 (includes return air and gratuities)

US: Brochure $7798. 2 for 1 pricing(aka current deal): $3899

US prices in pounds at today's rate: Brochure: L5895 Sale: L2947 (gratuities and return air not included and before any discounting that a travel agent might offer)

Gratuities (at $14/day) are paid on board and not subject to travel agent discount: $168, L127 for this cruise.

UK price INCLUDES return air from select airports and gratuities. These are all extra for the US passengers. All pricing includes local taxes--which are probably quite different in each country. I don't know what return flights to Barcelona cost from the UK, so I can't do that part of the equation.

Happy to help further; contact me via e-mail (in my signature; put your screen name in the subject line so I know it isn't junk).

Thanks for this information. It makes very interesting reading. I have looked online and although one travel agent is offering some fairly cheap deals for the Mediterranean in January and February, the New Year cruise you mention does not feature. On the official UK website the lowest category available is a DV2 at £3865 including flights and gratuities. There are no 2 for 1 prices that I can see. Of course the only figure that really matters is the 'bottom line'.

In regard to the availability of cheap deals over the winter I think it very unlikely that many UK cruisers would want to cruise the Mediterranean since the weather would be very unpredictable. The price increases sharply in Spring.

British Airways flights to Barcelona over the winter are fairly cheap at approx £130 return per person - sometimes lower. Again prices rise sharply in Spring and Summer.

Would be interested in cruising again in May or June. Question is would that be on Viking or would we return to our current favourite Azamara ?

My guess is that the best deals for the Med will be in January and February because they are trying to fill the ships. Viking has taken to calling it the "quiet season" as opposed to "winter." Give it a bit more time and those quiet season cruises may drop in price after the travel agencies release their unsold cabins. If the price is sweet enough, folks may brave the unpredictable weather.

My guess is that the best deals for the Med will be in January and February because they are trying to fill the ships. Viking has taken to calling it the "quiet season" as opposed to "winter." Give it a bit more time and those quiet season cruises may drop in price after the travel agencies release their unsold cabins. If the price is sweet enough, folks may brave the unpredictable weather.

As a solo traveller, Viking's single supplement of 100% upon their high season fares is off putting.

So, wishing to sample Viking, I have opted for a Med cruise in February for which Viking's fare was highly attractive.

Having not long returned from a July cruise through the Norwegian Fjords with temperatures ranging from 12C to 17C, and a couple of days of torrential rain,the weather in the Med in February may well be an improvement.

If not, there are worse places to be than on a Viking ship.

As a solo traveller, Viking's single supplement of 100% upon their high season fares is off putting.

So, wishing to sample Viking, I have opted for a Med cruise in February for which Viking's fare was highly attractive.

Having not long returned from a July cruise through the Norwegian Fjords with temperatures ranging from 12C to 17C, and a couple of days of torrential rain,the weather in the Med in February may well be an improvement.

If not, there are worse places to be than on a Viking ship.

SO true!!

I love traveling in January and our NYE in the Med cruise will be the second time that we have cruised the Med in January (and the first time we have ever celebrated NYE on a cruise ship). I don't mind the obligatory overcoat, hat and gloves and I will take them any day over the heat and humidity that render me useless for touring. Plus, the lines for all the most popular destinations are much, much shorter--especially once the Christmas school holiday is over on January 6.

I'm already looking to see where the Viking ships will be for January 2018--other than the Caribbean which is not our cup of tea. Wish we could do the Amazon cruise but DH can't get off that early in December.