Viking Sea disappoints long-time ocean cruiser

LesSails80435

By any chance did Viking say anything about why they seem to be no longer offering Barcelona to Venice? Just one cruise listed for all 2018 and it's booked solid as are the fall 2017. I can't get a straight answer from Viking.

I hoped they haven't dropped this itinerary - it's on my wish list :) I just got a new river cruise book and it seems they have dropped Castles & Legends as well! Say it isn't so Viking!

We did the Rhine Getaway this past August and it was just an all around phenomenal experience. I found Viking's service to be top notch - both pre-cruise and during the cruise. They had just switched to their brand shampoo, conditioner, body wash a bit before our cruise. I'm allergic, so I had tried out the L'Occitane that they had been using. Since Freya - their brand - is proprietary, I wasn't sure if I could use it. I posted on their FB page asking if there was some way to purchase it to try out. They had one of their people contact me, and he arranged for a full set of the products to be sent to me. FYI - they were fine and I really liked them. If that's not excellent customer service - I don't know how else you would define it.

I think most everyone who has gotten 2 or more of their brochures knows about the 2 for 1 pricing. There are other cruise lines, I've seen doing the same thing.

After the river cruise we booked the West Indies Explorer on the Viking Sea for next March. I'm so looking forward to it!

As I mentioned, we got a new river cruise book and while Castles and Legends is missing, we are looking at the Grand European Tour from Budapest to Amsterdam. I wanted to do Castles & Legends, because there was an included tour to Mad Ludwig's Castle and it's on my bucket list! But we do love Amsterdam, and I welcome the chance to go there again and spend some time.

If we can't do Barcelona to Venice, I'll just have to talk my husband into venturing into cooler weather and doing Into the Midnight Sun :cool:

I have only sailed on Celebrity. After our last wonderful itinerary, 14 day Iberian Penisula in a C1 aft cabin on the Constellation , I decided to try Viking for a number of reasons.

1. Wanted a smaller ship. The sea days on the Connie were too crowded in both pool areas, Cafe Bacio,Sunset bar area all day, and the Maritni Bar was three deep most night. I ended up spending more time on our wonderful balcony reading on the sea days.

2. the nickle and dime for extra: the premium package price point, the $45.00 for specialty restaurants, wifi prices are crazy.

3.Celebrity promotions are getting more and more confusing and almost need a spread sheet to figure them out. Our C1 aft never had a price reduction after we booked two years out.

4. Tired of all the junk jewelry, purses, watches, sales on sea days filling up the hallways. It was not relaxing on the ship in the common areas.

I loved our intinerary and ports of call,and even the pricy ship tours.

Booking our Viking Sea cruise is more expensive but with the all included pieces and great deal on airfare even with doing custom air, it is IMO not overpriced for my bottom line. The relaxing elements , the design and fewer passengers are what sold me to jump ship and book Viking.

I also agree with you and Peregrina651 on your reasons for choosing Viking Ocean. After our experience on the river cruise, it seemed a natural progression!

I hoped they haven't dropped this itinerary - it's on my wish list :) I just got a new river cruise book and it seems they have dropped Castles & Legends as well! Say it isn't so Viking!

We did the Rhine Getaway this past August and it was just an all around phenomenal experience. I found Viking's service to be top notch - both pre-cruise and during the cruise. They had just switched to their brand shampoo, conditioner, body wash a bit before our cruise. I'm allergic, so I had tried out the L'Occitane that they had been using. Since Freya - their brand - is proprietary, I wasn't sure if I could use it. I posted on their FB page asking if there was some way to purchase it to try out. They had one of their people contact me, and he arranged for a full set of the products to be sent to me. FYI - they were fine and I really liked them. If that's not excellent customer service - I don't know how else you would define it.

I think most everyone who has gotten 2 or more of their brochures knows about the 2 for 1 pricing. There are other cruise lines, I've seen doing the same thing.

After the river cruise we booked the West Indies Explorer on the Viking Sea for next March. I'm so looking forward to it!

As I mentioned, we got a new river cruise book and while Castles and Legends is missing, we are looking at the Grand European Tour from Budapest to Amsterdam. I wanted to do Castles & Legends, because there was an included tour to Mad Ludwig's Castle and it's on my bucket list! But we do love Amsterdam, and I welcome the chance to go there again and spend some time.

If we can't do Barcelona to Venice, I'll just have to talk my husband into venturing into cooler weather and doing Into the Midnight Sun :cool:

Did a 2 night longer version of Rhine Getaway last fall mysteriously no longer offered by Viking. Terrific!

Did the Danube tour in 2014 and loved the various stops, Passau, Regensburg, etc. Viking pre-cruise nights in beautiful, easy to tour Prague. What ever you do. allow time in Budapest.

Did a 2 night longer version of Rhine Getaway last fall mysteriously no longer offered by Viking. Terrific!

Did the Danube tour in 2014 and loved the various stops, Passau, Regensburg, etc. Viking pre-cruise nights in beautiful, easy to tour Prague. What ever you do. allow time in Budapest.

I guess they are tweaking as they add more itineraries. We added 3 days on our own in Amsterdam on the Rhine Getaway and did Lucerne through Viking - Loved both!

I have to admit I don't know much about Budapest from a tourism pov. The ship is there overnight - basically 2 days. We weren't planning on coming in early for that reason. What are some of the things you would recommend?

We also did Lucerne thru Viking.

As to Budapest no recommendations as we had no time there to explore. Would have loved to. It was our last stop. Arrived at night to see the gorgeous city lit up. Unreal. Next AM the standard Viking tour including across the river to Buda where we walked around and then back across the river on the bus thru Pest. After lunch I walked to Parliament and through the numerous parks. It was a Sunday and families were out having a great time. Big electric car races right where our Viking ship was docked at the famous Chain Bridge. Seems like a terrific city but we had to pack for our 2AM Viking bus departure. I'd try Rick Steven or some such for Budapest sights.

Prague & Budapest are my favorite cities.

Budapest & Danube Cruise photos here...

We also did Lucerne thru Viking.

As to Budapest no recommendations as we had no time there to explore. Would have loved to. It was our last stop. Arrived at night to see the gorgeous city lit up. Unreal. Next AM the standard Viking tour including across the river to Buda where we walked around and then back across the river on the bus thru Pest. After lunch I walked to Parliament and through the numerous parks. It was a Sunday and families were out having a great time. Big electric car races right where our Viking ship was docked at the famous Chain Bridge. Seems like a terrific city but we had to pack for our 2AM Viking bus departure. I'd try Rick Steven or some such for Budapest sights.

Prague & Budapest are my favorite cities.

Budapest & Danube Cruise photos here...

Well that gives me a hint - will check out your photos! Budapest was just never on my travel radar. I had a bunch of places I wanted to go to and some I've been to, but I guess I should add it! Places that weren't on my list, but that I've been to have surprised me and I want to go back - Lucerne was one. Tuscany is another. I always wanted to go to Venice, and I did but I loved the rest of Italy too!

IMHO, river or ocean, Viking keeps changing things up for a number of reasons. 1) logistical problems that can't be remedied, 2) irreparable feed back from guests 3) just to change things up so that returning cruisers will have something different to keep them interested (there are people who do the same cruises multiple times), 4) low sales

Yes, definitely do Midnight Sun. It was magnificent and a distinct change from castles and rivers, museums and cobblestoned streets.

Save