Who's Recently Done the 10 Day Mexican Riviera?

Oink

:) .....And how much did you love it? We are looking into the April 19th sailing of the Dawn and would like some feedback. We also like the itinerary of Celebrity Mercury's 11 dayer, but the price is about $1100 more! :eek: Your input will be appreciated. Thanks! Later....Oink! :)

Oink

Not really an answer to your question, but...

Mar 04 took Mercury to Mexico, RT from San Francisco. May 04 took Sun Princess (sister to Dawn) from San Francisco to Vancouver.

Two very similar sized ships, but Sun had many more balcony cabins, and the minis are huge, as big as suites on many ships.

Food in dining rooms very comparable on both ships, but service/presentation marginally better on Mercury. I thought food better in Princess' Lido, and it is open 24hrs a day.

Production shows on Princess better staged/costumed on Princess.

Mercury seemed almost drab - there were no fresh flowers about - while they abounded on Princess.

Personally, I would pick the Dawn Princess over Mercury, but I am sure many would go the other way.

Isn't it wonderful we have so many choices?

We did a 10-day Mexican Riviera in 2002 and loved it. In fact, we cruised it on the Sun Princess, which is similar to the Dawn. My wife didn't enjoy it as much as the Caribbean, but it is a much different experience than beaches and snorkeling. Her comment: "Every day was Mexico." To me, that was a good thing.

We would do it again, but we do prefer the Caribbean.

As for the ships, I would cruise Princess over Celebrity every time. No question. And we love the Sun Class ships. We'll be back on the Sea Princess in January.

We got off the Dawn Princess on 10/21 after a 10 day cruise to the Mexican Riveria R/T out of San Francisco. We loved it!!! I have never sailed Celebrity so I can't compare to them. The Dawn is a perfect ship and you should enjoy it just fine. We had a balcony cabin on the Aloha deck which was perfect for walking up the stairs one flight to the pool and buffet. Enjoy!!!

:) Thanks for your replies guys. We've done the Caribbean to death, so we're looking for something a little different. This cruise is to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary, which is in May. However there is very little to choose from in May, other than early Alaska or Mediterranean cruises.

We've always enjoyed the Mexican ports on this side of the continent, so I think the other side will suite us well. We love the sun class ships and Princess in general. So, I guess my question is....how well did you like the itinerary with two California ports and three in Mexico? The other cruise we're considering leaves from San Diego, so ALL the ports are Mexican....including Acapulco, which Princess does not offer. Just trying to make a wise choice since it will involve air and hotel prices this time. Please advise!! Later....Oink! :)

I had to stop by and say hi. Seems like you have been cruising up a storm. It also seems as if my schedule as been similar but different ships.

Are we all lucky or what???:D

This past June I did Zuiderdam again and I will be back on the Star in Nov. I just recently booked the Westerdam for Jan.

Well you have a great cruise!

:) Hi Shifra! Thanks for popping in to say "HI". Maybe you guys would like to join us on the April 19th sailing of the Dawn Princess....Mexican Riviera? All our CC pals are always welcome to come along. :D Glad to see you guys are spending all your disposable income wisely....just like us! ;) Later....Oink! :)

We're doing the 10 day Mexician cruise on the Mercury in 2 wks. So I'll let you know about it.

We've done princess several times and like the idea of 10 days. We also have a full day in Acapulco.

I'll be sure to post a review when we get back on the 21st

Just returned home this week after a 10 day Mexican Riviera trip on the Regal Princess out of San Diego. The Regal has an exceptional staff, especially in the dining room and the Bistro. All stops were on Mexico. It was a very nice trip and would do it again. San Diego would be my port of choice. I did San Pedro in April and it was much more stressful. We did the Diamond at that time.

:) Thanks again CCers! We love the itinerary of the 11 day Mercury cruise out of San Diego, but it's so much more expensive than the 10 day Dawn Princess cruise that leaves from San Francisco. ($162pp/nt vs $120pp/nt for comparable balcony cabins). In the end, we'll choose the better deal. :rolleyes:

Later....Oink! :)

Hi Oink,

This last year I've done both the Mercury and the Dawn Princess. Loved both cruises. Have you checked out the Mercury for April 28th 10 day. We did a cruise last year which included Acapulco and Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. Those are both beautiful ports. But I will say sailing out under the Golden Gate on the Dawn was one of the most awesome things I've ever done. But IMO I could have skipped the port in Catalina. Both are beautiful ships. I liked the food in the dinning room and on the lido alot better on the Mercury. But then again I like the Personal Choice dinning on the Dawn. What I missed the most on the Dawn was not having the Explorers lounge to sit in and get a good view during the day. Mercury seemed to have more windows and open areas.

:) Thanks CL-JW! That was an excellently written and very thorough review. My husband and I spent the second half of our honeymoon in San Francisco, so that city is very special for us. Since this will be our 15th anniversary trip, it's even more appropriate that it include the City by the Bay. ;) Later....Oink! :)

Archived