What is earliest time U can arrive at pier for Golden in Civitavecchia?

We will be spending 5 days pre cruise in Rome and will probably want to get to the pier as early as we can to start exploring the Golden as well as to see if there are any pier upgrades available. What time does the Princess terminal allow incoming passengers to queue up?

when are you going? when ship is full with 2600 or more and 500 crew wanting off the wait can be long. also, of all ports ever visited Civitaveccia is one of the least passenger friendly as far as set up. the cruise ships are well into the port facility and waiting is in tents with few chairs.

I would call princess (800)-princess and ask for a passenger count a week before you sail. that will give you an idea about cabin availability for upgrades. do not waste your time with the pursers desk, ask for the asst. hotel manager. are you sailing on nov. 10th?

Also, of all ports ever visited Civitaveccia is one of the least passenger friendly as far as set up. the cruise ships are well into the port facility and waiting is in tents with few chairs.

Right on! the truth of that statement cannot be overstated. Anyone getting to Rome's port (Civitavecchia) should be well aware of and never underestimate how it is NOT a passenger-friendly port.

Ask your TA if s/he has ever personally gone from downtown Rome to the port. If not, then call your cruiseline, explain your pre-cruise situation, and ask what kind of shuttle they can provide for your party. If you try to make it to Rome on your own by regional bus or train, make sure you know exactly how to get to your ship's pier. It's a LONNNGGG way from the port's entry to the tourists' cruise ships, and Civitavecchia is a HUGE port that caters to a sea industry that extends far beyond tourism.

Another word of caution. For anyone arriving in Civitavecchia on your own for the first time using train or bus, think about how hard it might be to haul your own luggage to the ship's gangway.

We are sailing early June,2006. I have no desire to take the train or the bus since it will just be my 15 year old daughter and myself. We will use a private car from our hotel.

Thanks for the warning about the port. I had no idea it was this different from American cruise terminals.

That being said, what is the recommended time to arrive for embarkation? If we get there around 11am, will be able to be served lunch on board?

Thanks

If they let you on at 11a.m., that'd be great, if 12noon or 1pm, all these times would get you on in enough time to go to the welcome aboard buffet, unpack, and explore the ship. Let's say you get on board by 1pm......if the mandatory emergency drill takes place at 5pm, then you've got 4 hours pre-cruise time to relax and lounge around.

We are sailing early June,2006. I have no desire to take the train or the bus since it will just be my 15 year old daughter and myself. We will use a private car from our hotel.

Thanks for the warning about the port. I had no idea it was this different from American cruise terminals.

That being said, what is the recommended time to arrive for embarkation? If we get there around 11am, will be able to be served lunch on board?

Thanks

We cruised on the Grand last month. Citiavecchia is primarily a ferry / freight port and the cruise ships are quite a ways from the front gate. The boarding take place under a tent structure. We got there about 1, and boarding had started around 12.

Please note that Rome is a long distance from the port. It is an hour plus by car. We hired a car and the best deal was 120 euros or $150. Others quoted up to $200 and more. Even at that cost, it was worth being driven straight to the ship.

We will use a driver through a tour company called www.contextrome.com and they have very competitive rates for transfers. It will cost just about 120-125 Euros. They also have a very favorable exchange rate for the Euro, much lower than anyone else, so it should be a pretty good deal.

Can you tell me if there are at least any bathroom facilities near the tents or vending machines or water fountains? We can bring bottled water with us if we need to, but the bathroom availability is essential!

We will use a driver through a tour company called www.contextrome.com and they have very competitive rates for transfers. It will cost just about 120-125 Euros. They also have a very favorable exchange rate for the Euro, much lower than anyone else, so it should be a pretty good deal.

Can you tell me if there are at least any bathroom facilities near the tents or vending machines or water fountains? We can bring bottled water with us if we need to, but the bathroom availability is essential!

120 - 125 is a good price.

I do not remember bathrooms or vending machines. I am sure Princess will have water and you can bring a bottle if you need to.

We processed right in and were aboard ship in 10 minutes after arriving. I didn't see bathrooms, but I would think they have them for the crew checking everyone in. Here is what I meant by tents:

DSC07870s.jpg.a86ac8adcd20166bc26ccd5d1dad6f4c.jpg

Hi guys, I just booked a 12 night Med cruise on the Carnival Liberty. :D Just starting my logistical research.

Thanks for the tip about the port amenities (or lack thereof.) My question concerns getting from Civitavecchia back to Fiumicino airport.

Would we be able to make a 1:30 flight from Fiumicino to London timewise and logistically?

Furthermore, where would you meet up with a driver at the port to bring you to the airport? ARe there designated limo/bus/taxi areas?

Thanks in advance!

Maria

Thanks for the tip about the port amenities (or lack thereof.) My question concerns getting from Civitavecchia back to Fiumicino airport.

Would we be able to make a 1:30 flight from Fiumicino to London timewise and logistically?

Furthermore, where would you meet up with a driver at the port to bring you to the airport? ARe there designated limo/bus/taxi areas?

Getting off the ship to get to the airport, you can reserve a place on the shuttle offered by the cruiseship (they subcontract with an independent company) and that will cost you about 80 bucks. If you want to save about $65 you can take the free shuttle from the ship to the port entry, walk to the train station and catch the train to the airport (there's a transfer at Ostiense station.) Most probably, other passengers from your ship will be doing the same. And yes, 1:30p is do-able.

Getting off the ship to get to the airport, you can reserve a place on the shuttle offered by the cruiseship (they subcontract with an independent company) and that will cost you about 80 bucks. If you want to save about $65 you can take the free shuttle from the ship to the port entry, walk to the train station and catch the train to the airport (there's a transfer at Ostiense station.) Most probably, other passengers from your ship will be doing the same. And yes, 1:30p is do-able.

Thanks Buck, this is good to know. I'm acquainted with Italy's train system, but it's been 14 years since I've been there. About how far is it from the train station to the port entry?

My only prior knowledge of pier upgrades is through RCI. I perhaps erroneously assumed that most other cruise lines offered upgrades, for a charge, of course, for passengers savvy enough to inquire about them. The advantage of arriving early is that if there are any available cabins that are nicer than the ones you have booked, they are usually MUCH cheaper to upgrade into than if you had tried to book that same cabin earlier. It is a source of last minute additional revenue for the cruise line to fill a cabin that would otherwise be empty and even a little money spent on that cabin is better than nothing at all. Kind of like a fire sale at sea!

My only prior knowledge of pier upgrades is through RCI. I perhaps erroneously assumed that most other cruise lines offered upgrades, for a charge, of course, for passengers savvy enough to inquire about them. The advantage of arriving early is that if there are any available cabins that are nicer than the ones you have booked, they are usually MUCH cheaper to upgrade into than if you had tried to book that same cabin earlier. It is a source of last minute additional revenue for the cruise line to fill a cabin that would otherwise be empty and even a little money spent on that cabin is better than nothing at all. Kind of like a fire sale at sea!;)

My only prior knowledge of pier upgrades is through RCI. I perhaps erroneously assumed that most other cruise lines offered upgrades, for a charge, of course, for passengers savvy enough to inquire about them. The advantage of arriving early is that if there are any available cabins that are nicer than the ones you have booked, they are usually MUCH cheaper to upgrade into than if you had tried to book that same cabin earlier. It is a source of last minute additional revenue for the cruise line to fill a cabin that would otherwise be empty and even a little money spent on that cabin is better than nothing at all. Kind of like a fire sale at sea!;)

• 1 year later...
120 - 125 is a good price.

I do not remember bathrooms or vending machines. I am sure Princess will have water and you can bring a bottle if you need to.

We processed right in and were aboard ship in 10 minutes after arriving. I didn't see bathrooms, but I would think they have them for the crew checking everyone in. Here is what I meant by tents:

Sorry, I should have attached the post.

Archived