For jas1178 regarding Splendor sprinklers

chengkp75

I was away when they locked the other thread about the fire on the Sunshine, but just wanted to set a couple of facts straight about your post regarding the Splendor's sprinkler system.

The system involved in the Splendor fire was the water mist system in the engineering spaces, which is totally different from the sprinkler system used everywhere else in the ship. It was not a design flaw in this system that caused problems, but poor training of the bridge crew in the system's operation that kept resetting the system.

There was an additional problem with the CO2 fire extinguishing system, that is used only in the engineering spaces, but again, this was not a design flaw, but a component that was installed incorrectly at the time the ship was built.

There were process failures of Carnival's Safety Management System in inspecting and testing this CO2 system, and in training crew in its use, that allowed this fault to be undetected for a couple of years. These were addressed in revisions to the SMS.

I was away when they locked the other thread about the fire on the Sunshine, but just wanted to set a couple of facts straight about your post regarding the Splendor's sprinkler system.

The system involved in the Splendor fire was the water mist system in the engineering spaces, which is totally different from the sprinkler system used everywhere else in the ship. It was not a design flaw in this system that caused problems, but poor training of the bridge crew in the system's operation that kept resetting the system.

There was an additional problem with the CO2 fire extinguishing system, that is used only in the engineering spaces, but again, this was not a design flaw, but a component that was installed incorrectly at the time the ship was built.

There were process failures of Carnival's Safety Management System in inspecting and testing this CO2 system, and in training crew in its use, that allowed this fault to be undetected for a couple of years. These were addressed in revisions to the SMS.

As always, thanks for your knowledge on ocean going vessels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the correction, and detail. I thought that there was a component or retrofit that they had to do on all of the conquest class and newer, as well as their cousins in the other brands? Was that incorrect?

Appreciate your expertise on the topic.

Thanks for the correction, and detail. I thought that there was a component or retrofit that they had to do on all of the conquest class and newer, as well as their cousins in the other brands? Was that incorrect?

Appreciate your expertise on the topic.

They inspected all of the ships built at Fincantieri around that time (and since they were all of one class or its derivatives), they suspected that similar misapplication (valve installed the wrong way) might be on the other ships. I don't know what was found on other ships.

The Splendor had a backup "power" supply to the water mist system in the form of nitrogen accumulators to provide pressure in case of power failure. The Triumph did not have this, and when the main power was lost, the water mist system was deactivated. With the new routing of cabling outside the engine rooms, post Triumph fire, this becomes a much less likely scenario, and I believe they have added the water mist system to the emergency bus.

Mostly, the problems experienced on both the Splendor and the Triumph, aside from the poor design of running the forward engine room power cables through the aft engine room, was poor training of the crew in the use of the fire suppression and extinguishing systems.