Is it possible to walk from Civitavecchia train station to Ship

Denis54

They don't check for tickets to know if you are a cruise passenger or not, that's not what I meant. They have structured the shuttle bus services to force cruise passengers to the Largo della Pace entrance/exit. The timing of the intermediate stops is to help those who drive to the port for a cruise and park their car there.

The bottom line is that if you are headed out for a port day you either walk the entire way or you use the port shuttle to Largo della Pace.

The confusion stems from the fact that there ARE shuttle buses stopping at the Fort but they are not for cruise passengers, they are for the ferries. They do not go to the cruise ships, they go to the ferry station.

Sorry, but that wasn't our source of confusion. The free shuttles from the fort end, did not take us to a ferry. We were sailing on the Celebrity Silhouette, which, I believe, was at dock 25. I think we must have been shuttled to Largo Della Pace in the first shuttle and changed there for a shuttle to dock 25. I accept that this service is no longer available, I am just surprised that we were able to do this in October last year, after all these changes had been implemented. :)

Nope, the shuttle going to 10 -13 has also a stop at Bramante (which is a parking lot behind the Forte) and at Molo del Bicchiere. But as far as I understand this website the stop at Molo de Bicchiere (which is also behind the Forte) is on the way back from Largo della Pace. And only between 11:30 am and 2:30 pm they do stop at Bramante. When you check this map (scroll down "Port of Civitavecchia") you see the green line for the shuttle from 10 - 13 to Largo della Pace and there are two stops on the map right above the Forte. The left one is Bramante, the right is Molo de Bicchiere.

This map shows all bus stops not differing between the cruise shuttles and the ferry shuttles.

Actually in August I looked out for the shuttle stops Bramante/Molo de Bicchiere but I didn´t see them. We entered at Varco Fortezza and walked up to basin where you see the "8" on the second map and all the way to the front of that pier on the right. I saw the ferry shuttle stop at Porta Livorno when we walked back. But then we took the staircase up to town and walked back to Largo della Pace.

steamboats

Thanks for the links. I have printed off one of those maps, which will be helpful. :)

For me the videos with the links below were helpful

I do not know if the videos represent the latest changes or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ibAJ38fKQ

That was useful. Thank you for posting those links. It would be a bit different from dock 25, of course, but it gives a good idea of the place. I recognised where we got the shuttle from the old gate (they were waiting for us and sat till they filled up) and where we changed shuttles for the ship. This time we are booked on a shuttle bus from FCO airport, so I imagine it will drop us at the new gate and we can get a shuttle from there to the ship. We are back in Civitavecchia for a day, so if we are at the 10/11/12 docks, it would probably be better to walk from the ship to the station (no luggage), rather than take the shuttle to the new gate (unless, of course, they drop people off at the old gate!). :)

.... This time we are booked on a shuttle bus from FCO airport,..... :

Our cruise is not until July 2017 and it is a first time from Civitavecchia...... so I am looking at all the posts to learn what to do or what not to do.

I am planing on booking a private shuttle from FCO to a hotel in the port ( there will be 8 of us adults) and again the same shuttle to get back to FCO after the cruise.

Any recommendations for the shuttle ?

Edited by wieslaw

Ouch! :eek: For you, Hank, that is a little bit harsh. ;) My confusion does indeed involve time, but I am not sure that you fully understand my point. These changes that you talk of, are well known and have been going on for at least a couple of years. My 'time' point was that we experienced these shuttles only eleven months ago, not a couple of years ago. Judging by other people's experiences, we should not have been able to take two shuttles from the fort gate eleven months ago, as all these changes had already taken place by then. Anyway, we are due to be there on Saturday, with two further visits later. I will try to find out the current situation, however, as some have pointed out, it may vary from hour to hour, depending on the time of day and the individual driver, (it is Italy, after all!).

I know that it is very frustrating when people do not seem to be understanding your point, just as it is when they do not seem to understand your question. I would suggest, however, that if a person is too frustrated to respond constructively, then probably, in the interests of all those others who may be put off asking questions on Cruise Critic in the future, it may be best just not to respond. I certainly think that sarcasm, at least, is best omitted. There are too many harsh words used on these boards, already. :cool:

Ok, am hanging my ole head in shame :eek: That being said, pity the poor infrequent cruiser/traveler who reads this thread and tries to understand how they should get from ship to train station.

Hank

Ok, am hanging my ole head in shame :eek: That being said, pity the poor infrequent cruiser/traveler who reads this thread and tries to understand how they should get from ship to train station.

Hank

I can certainly understand why people would be confused. I have been in or out of Civitavecchia four times and am only now coming to terms with the place! I do hope, though, that they are not seeking directions from my posts, as that has not been my intention. I have simply been trying to understand how our experiences fit with the experiences of others and all the changes happening in the last couple of years. It seems to me that the goal posts are constantly being moved! I do agree with you, however, that the most important thing is what is happening now. The trouble is that the experience varies so much, depending on how you are arriving or leaving, and where your ship is docked. We are due to depart or arrive there another four times in the next month, so hopefully I will gain a little further understanding of how it all works (or doesn't). :)

Our cruise is not until July 2017 and it is a first time from Civitavecchia...... so I am looking at all the posts to learn what to do or what not to do.

I am planing on booking a private shuttle from FCO to a hotel in the port ( there will be 8 of us adults) and again the same shuttle to get back to FCO after the cruise.

Any recommendations for the shuttle ?

Having tried various options, I came to the conclusion that the best choice, if coming from FCO airport, was to stay near the airport and then share a private transfer directly to the ship on the day of departure, (choosing a company which is allowed such access). This is what we were going to do, but our roll call was quiet and I could not find anyone to share with. Because of the cost of the transfer, we decided to try the shuttle bus service from the airport instead.

Many companies are recommended on these boards, some a little cheaper than others. I couldn't recommend any specific one. Best to get a few recommendations and look them up. If you do decide to stay near FCO on the night before and get a car directly to the ship on the day of departure, it does save a lot of hassle with shuttles etc. :)

[quote name=bcscot;51103747

Many companies are recommended on these boards' date=' some a little cheaper than others. I couldn't recommend any specific one. Best to get a few recommendations and look them up. If you do decide to stay near FCO on the night before and get a car directly to the ship on the day of departure, it does save a lot of hassle with shuttles etc. :)[/quote]

Thank you . There will be 8 of us and that seems to be the 'magic number' for a private van, We will be getting to FCO in late afternoon and we will be going to a hotel in Civitavecchia, The hotel provides a free shuttle to the ship the next morning.

I have read many posts about the shuttles but did not book any yet ..... lots of time left. I am always interested to see what others booked and what they experienced.

The price for transfer for 8 seems to vary a lot. Some companies charge as much as double what other charge..... perhaps there is a reason for it ?

Wishing you an enjoyable cruise.

We are just back from our cruise. I had researched whether it was possible or not to walk from the train station to the ship. Some people said it was possible while others suggested not to do it.

I still do not know if it is possible or not but I am happy we did not try. The port is HUGE and from what I could see it must be pretty difficult to find where to go.

On the other hand, the bus was extremely easy to use. We got off the train, bought tickets (2 euros) at the tobacco stand, crossed the street and waited for the bus which arrived less than 5 minutes later. I did not time it but the trip to the shuttle bus station took only a few minutes.

The shuttle bus station is not very well organized but we nevertheless had no problem to locate the Princess shuttle. Here also the trip took only a few minutes.

Bottom line is that with the local bus + the shuttle bus it was extremely easy and fast to get from the train to our ship

Hank

I for one am confused as **** over how to get from station to our cruise next Friday! :confused::confused::confused:

I for one am confused as **** over how to get from station to our cruise next Friday! :confused::confused::confused:

Read this -- it's really the simplest way:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51133116&postcount=1

Too much worrying on here about whether or not there is an intermediate stop and whether or not you can walk.... :cool:

Not gonna bite. Even if I give you step by step instructions, somebody else will probably argue "but it was different when I was in Civitavecchia in 1988!"

Hank

We also want to address the post about flying in 1 day early. Although we have stayed in the vicinity of the airport (FCO) including staying at the very convenient Hilton...this is not something we ever recommend for the night before a cruise! The airport hotels are fine for those who have an early flight the following morning...but make little sense for those taking a cruise the following morning. The problem is that the airport hotels are not in great locations when it comes to just looking outside, going to a nice restaurant for dinner, etc.

So, we suggest that those flying-in a day early either stay in Rome (this is reasonable if you arrive at FCO early in the morning and want a day/night to enjoy Rome) or simply go directly to Civitavecchia. While Civitavecchia is not paradise, it is actually an OK town with a waterfront promenade, some shops, and a reasonable selection of restaurants/cafes...within walking distance of most of the popular hotels. So rather then being stuck at a place like the airport Hilton where the dinner options are very expensive and limited....you will be able to enjoy a nice dinner at an Italian restaurant (some with sea views). And when you wake up on your embarkation day, you can relax, enjoy a nice breakfast, and head over to the port at your leisure. For those who decided to spend the night in Rome, they can either arrange for a private transfer to the port, take the train, or just grab a taxi.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner