Is it possible to walk from Civitavecchia train station to Ship

Denis54

Ok this is my opinion on what to do if arriving at Civi by Train and trying to get to your ship (and you dont know exactly where your ship is). The best option is to simply go to Largo - the main shuttle terminus.How you do this ? Walk - 20 min fast or taxi (easy from Station ) . Then you'll be directed to the correct shuttle to take you to your ship. Forget the Fort shuttle intermediate stop and forget thinking you cld wlk to ship UNLESS you know for sure where your ship is otherwise it cld be a long walk.

Sent from my D5803 using Forums mobile app

Edited by gary222

Ok this is my opinion on what to do if arriving at Civi by Train and trying to get to your ship (and you dont know exactly where your ship is). The best option is to simply go to Largo - the main shuttle terminus.How you do this ? Walk - 20 min fast or taxi (easy from Station ) . Then you'll be directed to the correct shuttle to take you to your ship. Forget the Fort shuttle intermediate stop and forget thinking you cld wlk to ship UNLESS you know for sure where your ship is otherwise it cld be a long walk.

Yes, from our recent experience, I agree that this is very good advice!

Assuming you are dragging luggage we are not so certain this is a good idea. It is a hike to the shuttle stop.....)and why do it when there is an inexpensive public shuttle bus (I think it costs about 2€) that you can board right across the street from the train station...and that bus will drop you right at the place where you get the free port shuttle to your ship.

Personally, when we have little or no luggage and want to walk we would simply walk into the port (from the pedestrian entrance by the Fort) and to our ship. Or course, depending on docking position, that can easily be 1-2 miles.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

I've read all these messages and tried not to get confused, but as a first time cruiser who is departing from Civitavecchia I could do with a little clarification from someone. We will be stopping the night before in Civitavecchia, fairly near Fort Michaelangelo and it seems to me that we could walk very easily to this entrance to the port. I already know that our ship will be leaving from Pier 10 which, according to the map, is the closest to the Fort. Would it be possible simply to enter at the Fort and then walk to Pier 10? Also, what do we do when we get there? I assume we will have to check in, go through customs, etc. Help!!

I've read all these messages and tried not to get confused, but as a first time cruiser who is departing from Civitavecchia I could do with a little clarification from someone. We will be stopping the night before in Civitavecchia, fairly near Fort Michaelangelo and it seems to me that we could walk very easily to this entrance to the port. I already know that our ship will be leaving from Pier 10 which, according to the map, is the closest to the Fort. Would it be possible simply to enter at the Fort and then walk to Pier 10? Also, what do we do when we get there? I assume we will have to check in, go through customs, etc. Help!!

Yes, you could simply enter and walk to your ship.

Your ship will likely require you show your passport as part of the check in process. However, Customs is only done when arriving in a new country...you will already be in Italy (and the EU), so no Customs at Civi.

Thanks. Stupid of me to ask about Customs! Could you just be a bit more specific about what happens when we arrive at Pier 10 and the ship. Will there be somewhere to go to check in and will it be clear where? I can't believe we can just board the ship.

It varies a little by cruise line, but generally you will walk up to the building, and turn over your checked bag to porters.

Then you will get in a check in line. You should have paperwork (might be called a boarding pass, or similar) with a bunch of info about your cruise. When you get to the check in desk, you will provide the paperwork, and your passport. You may have one or two other steps, again, depending on the cruise line. Scanning your credit card into their system is a common procedure. Taking a picture for their security system is another.

Then, you will receive directions on boarding. You could be directed to go right on board, or issued a number, and told you can't board until your number is called. Again, all varies by cruise line. If you can't board immediately, there is usually somewhere to sit, and there may be cookies and water to drink.

The location of all of this should be very clear.

Edited by CruiserBruce

• 11 months later...
it's not dangerous, the distance is only 700 meters but if you have heavy luggage it's a problem :-)

I suggest you take a private car service, I got a CAB ROMA. They take you from the rome hotel to Civitavecchia port with less than 40 euros.

This is CAB ROMA web site

http://www.cabroma.com/en/transfer-from-rome-to-civitavecchia-port

AndreaS

Since the OP was posting over a year ago there's a pretty fair chance that he's already taken his cruise ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Is several blocks with uneven pavement to the entrance of the port. The area where you drop your luggage depends on which berth your ship is docked. The shortest of them is at least a half a mile and if you are at the 2

On the seas side of the port is an additional walk around the fort which would be another mile.

Would make for an unpleasant venture.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums