Mitsugirlys FASCINATION with San Juan-review & pictorial

mitsugirly

Rich Little Piggies !!!

I spent WAY too much money on those machines many years ago but haven't seen one in ages. Would love to run across one on my upcoming Dream cruise! :)

I wish I would have known to play it. I didn't even try. Fun game?

The little "secret" to the non-melting ice cream is that it's not really ice cream. It's more like a sherbet. Usually they have coconut, passion fruit and either pineapple or a mix or two of the three flavors. Also, inside, the cart is a huge block of ice. They are filled with water (not completely as to give some space for expansion) and they are put in huge freezers overnight so the water inside freezes and that is what keeps the sherbets from melting. They are also insulated so the ice inside the cart doesn't melt as fast during the day.

Thanks for the info. That makes sense then. I thought maybe he came from the building selling food there and would go back and forth with un-melted ice cream. :p

Thank you for all of your pictures of Fascination. As you are already aware, I LOVE this itinerary and would love to do it again. There has been a lot of griping about Fascination, an older and smaller ship, put on the southern itinerary out of San Juan. I will admit, I was disappointed myself and also questioned that move. After seeing your pictures, I actually like what I'm seeing...Fascination is a beautiful ship!!! Jamman54 also had some great pictures of the inside of Fascination as well, but this was before she was moved to the southern itinerary out of San Juan and before I had real interest in her, so I'll be heading back to his review too. :D

You are welcome. Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would gripe about putting an older ship on that itinerary. It makes perfect sense to me since it's so port intensive that people probably aren't sailing it for the ship. If it was on one of the 3 or 4 day itineraries with more time to spend on the ship, and there were several options of ships to pick from, people would probably pick a newer one, therefore leaving this ship not filled. Just my opinion of course. But you put that ship there, were that's your only choice on a favorite itinerary, it becomes a money maker no matter what. I think it's the perfect ship and size for PR.

Honestly, the inside is not that bad. Like I said, a little dated, but still nice. They keep her in tip top shape and very clean. I wouldn't hesitate booking it again...only I don't book the same ship, so I'll look for another, but would look for another in the same class ship, if it had the itinerary I wanted, and I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

OMG - I didn't even see it until you circled and pointed it out! :O Now I can't see anything but the rainbow! Beautiful!!!

:D

I hope this isn't serious and he will be okay.

Kim,

Hoping your son is okay. :( Great review so far, but care of family comes first.:)

From off the grid for 100 hours in Florida:eek:....Crew.

Yep, he's fine (reported earlier the details).

(Copied and pasted from earlier because it's early in the morning (for me) right now and that's easier than typing. :p

He ended up breaking a finger, which went through his nail and the nail and skin around it completely bent back and was hanging. They had to remove the nail, clean it out (they sent momma tons of pictures along the way because they know I like that kinda stuff) and you could see the exposed bone. They ended up sewing his old nail back on and putting it back into the cuticle and said it would eventually grow back and push the dead nail out. I guess the reason behind putting the nail back on was since the bone was exposed, they wanted it covered so that it didn't get infected. They wanted to put a cast on it, but he refused and it was wrapped and splinted. About 4 months ago he broke his hand (same place I did on my 2010 cruise) and he cut the cast off in a week. He's stubborn

DAY 2: ST THOMAS!!

P9053640%20copy-L.jpg

P9053641%20copy-L.jpg

So I have been here a few times and have loved everything we have done (Sapphire, Coki) and wanted something different...although it was super hard not to want to return to Coki after the awesome snorkeling last time. I have seriously never seen all of the brightly colored coral anywhere like there was there. But, I like to experience new things each time...so I went in with an open mind.

The great people here on cc recommended Lindquist. So that's where we are going. It's a protected 21 acre area at Smith Bay Park. You can see St John across the water from there and it's a nice view. They have showers and restrooms, but no vending there. There are picnic benches and plenty of grape trees lining the beach for shade. It sounded perfect! It does come with a price tag though (and a small one, but worth it) of $5 for adults to get in and children under 13 are free.

I set my alarm for 6:45am and got up and showered. We headed up to breakfast and I was kind of shocked that there really weren't any lines or many people out and about. We decided to eat breakfast outside by the pool instead of inside at the buffet.

P8151320%20copy-L.jpg

P8151319%20copy-L.jpg

Kendra didn't come alive until around 7:30am and cracked my whip and told her she is about to get left if she didn't hurry and eat. It was almost 8am!

We had been docked for awhile and we were just waiting on the announcement that we could get off the ship...which never came.

P8151317%20copy-L.jpg

Everything looked dead out there so far.

P8151318%20copy-L.jpg

I was peeking over the edge and seen that people were getting off. It was around 8:10 and we decided to head back to the room and grab our beach bags and see if we could get off. (I would find out later that day that we actually arrived and could get off the ship at 7am and I had completely forgotten. Oops).

Since we knew that Lindquist didn't have vendors, we would need to grab something to take with us to the beach for lunch. Once again, the wonderful people on cc told me about a deli that would make fresh subs. Only, I forgot to write down the deli's name so that I could ask where it was at. We would wander around trying to find it on our own, looking like obvious lost tourist.

P8151324%20copy-L.jpg

I knew it was somewhere in these buildings. We stopped to ask several people along the way about the "deli" and they told us "go down there and it's at the end"...nope! "Turn that way and it's over there"...nope! They had pointed us to a "deli" vendor, not the grocery store type of deli we were looking for. It was hard to explain what I needed and there didn't seem to be anyone that knew what I was talking about. If someone would just SAY THE NAME, I would remember.

After walking down several rows of buildings a taxi driver ask if we needed a ride (as several did along our way). One last try to see if he would understand what we were looking for...and HE DID! Pointed us in the right direction and said if we needed a taxi to Lindquist (I had told him where we were going AFTER we could get food), then he would be waiting on us.

FOUND IT!!!

P8151331%20copy-L.jpg

We took a look around. It was like a mini-grocery store.

P8151328%20copy-L.jpg

Big mistake to allow B with a cart. I had to scold him several times for taking off...of course Sakari lost her mind once again and was in the cart while he pushed her around the store like he was Jeff Gordan. Geesh! We honestly can't take him anywhere.

P8151329%20copy-L.jpg

In trouble by mamaw and not happy about it.

P8151326%20copy-L.jpg

They give you a note pad with the choices and you circle what you want on there and they make your sub.

P8151330%20copy-L.jpg

I believe our subs were around $9.75 each. So kinda expensive, but it would have to do. Kendra grabbed some chips and pop and we checked out and put everything in my 2 coolers I had brought, full of ice and out we went.

The taxi driver was still outside waiting on us as promised. It was already getting hot out and I couldn't wait to get in a van with some nice a/c.

We followed him into a parking lot for our trip to Lindquist. Only we kept passing up all these vans...and arrived to this:

P8151345%20copy-L.jpg

An open air bus. Oh Great. My mind was going in circles. Thoughts were racing in my head...it's hot, I want a/c. How did we get stuck with this? Then my mind reverted back to the first cruise I took my hubby on, which came here, and months before we left, a family was on an open air bus and the daughter was celebrating her 16th birthday and was shot as a gang by Coki open fired at the cemetery near by as another gang member was being buried that day. She died. It was my first experience of hearing about things in tourist places (it was my 3rd cruise, but I hadn't cruised since 1989 and 1998 and there wasn't any internet back then to hear the "every day life" in the countries you visit).

Deep breath. Ok, we got this. The hubby didn't look thrilled about this and I assured him it was ok. "As soon as we get to moving, we'd have air".

Of course the kids were thrilled

P8151332%20copy-L.jpg

P8151333%20copy-L.jpg

My view

P8151334%20copy-L.jpg

P8151339%20copy-L.jpg

P8151342%20copy-L.jpg

P8151336%20copy-L.jpg

P8151337%20copy-L.jpg

P8151338%20copy-L.jpg

P8151340%20copy-L.jpg

P8151341%20copy-L.jpg

We arrived in about 20 minutes and the driver quoted us a price of $9 each there. He had told us that it was $2 to get in (although I know I had read $5). He also informed us that cabs do not come down in there (which we also knew) and he could return to get us. We gave him a time of 3pm to return. He told us to be packed up and waiting at the parking lot AT 3pm for when he pulled up. We agreed.

We pulled up to the office to pay for our entrance. Yep, it was $5 for each adult as I thought.

P8151344%20copy-L.jpg

The road took us all the way into the park and pretty much there to the beach. It's a turn around area, not a place to actually park I believe. There's not much walking involved.

Ok, time for me to head to work. I'm leaving your mouths watering for the next set of pictures, Lindquist Beach, because trust me, they are a do-no-miss!!! :p I promise I will be back in a few hours and before you know it, you'll wish you were sitting on Lindquist beach yourself! :)

I have been back almost a week now (come tomorrow) and I guess it's time to get moving (or at least started) on this review. My "new" semester for school actually started the day we were still in San Juan, so I have been playing catch-up and the first week of class is always the hardest and always has the most work to do. So...week 1 of school has come and gone and I'm hoping for a little less stress involved assignments this week.

So Excited to read your reviews!!! I am an stalker fan of your reviews!!!:eek:

Bring it on Kim!! I was sitting here waiting for it!:D
Jamman54....I am waiting for your return and your review as well!!!

I really stalled in booking our flights for this cruise. I was really unsure about what day to leave and what time. I really hate having to leave in the early morning, we are just not early morning people. Flights after noon work out so much better for us.

The more research I did on Puerto Rico, the more days I seem to add on. Oops. I kept finding so many things I wanted to do when we were there, but obviously my job was having a fit about the amount of time I would be away.

So...I bit the bullet and booked an EARLY morning flight for us on Thursday morning. That would give us several days in PR to explore, but when it came right down to it, it still was not enough days for what I had planned. I guess I'll be watching cruises out of PR again in the future and have another re-do! I seriously LOVE this place!

We cruise with Southwest only, thanks to having a business card that gives my hubby a "free companion pass yearly" and Sakari and I fly free using the enormous amount of points we accumulate each month. So I guess it's "almost" as good as living in a state close to a port. hehe Thank goodness that PR is a place SW goes to.

P8110005%20copy-M.jpg

I knew we were meant to be for a reason...lol!!!

I love flying southwest. I also got alot of points traveling with my job which will be used for our cruise next year!!!:D I am so happy that you did this review regarding PR. Did you have to have a passport or is it like flying to another US city? (FYI..if I respond alot, its just i am excited to read your review:eek:)

Now I thought that I read to sit on the left side of the plane to see the forts when coming in. But maybe I was wrong. I did not see any forts but was able to catch the beaches and hotels and I'm sure where we would be staying that last day of our "mini-land" vacation was somewhere in that mixture below.

P8110014%20copy-L.jpg

I spotted a ship!!!

P8110015%20copy-L.jpg

She was a biggen (or is it biggin? as said in my hillbilly voice). It had to be either the Allure or Oasis. Do they sail there?

P8110019%20copy-L.jpg

Yes, Gambee sailed on Oasis when she first went to PR. Now it is a special regular itinerary when the ship does 8-9 days.

On to the balcony. WOW!! That's all I can say. Well actually, I can say a lot more. This thing was HUGE! You could throw a party out there and never bump into each other huge.

It had a bump out (some of the rooms had them and others didn't).

P8110039%20copy-L.jpg

I bet to would be awesome to sit out there and watch a rain storm!

I knew we were meant to be for a reason...lol!!!

I love flying southwest. I also got alot of points traveling with my job which will be used for our cruise next year!!!:D I am so happy that you did this review regarding PR. Did you have to have a passport or is it like flying to another US city? (FYI..if I respond alot, its just i am excited to read your review:eek:)

:D

No, you do not need a passport from PR (daughter wouldn't have been able to go if so because she still don't have one yet. :eek:)

Yes, Gambee sailed on Oasis when she first went to PR. Now it is a special regular itinerary when the ship does 8-9 days.

Another "on my to-do list"=the Oasis. So that's what was there that day? I will have to check this out! However, is the Oasis itinerary as port intensive? If so, I wouldn't want that ship out of there. When I sail the Oasis, I want very little ports and more sea days to experience the ship.

So I'mmmmm backkkkk! On with the review.

Here's the road leading back to the beach and turn around area to drop and pick up people.

P8161623%20copy-L.jpg

There is an area with a roof over it for waiting for the taxi's. This is where our driver said to be packed up and waiting for him at 3pm.

P8161625%20copy-L.jpg

We got out, paid the driver and turned around to see the beautiful ocean.

P8151349%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari immediately spotted a termite "house" in the tree. I ask her if she was hungry.

P8151347%20copy-L.jpg

IT WAS BEAUTIFUL THERE!

P8151350%20copy-L.jpg

The sand was white with a bit of a pinkish tint to it when wet and it was so soft!!! Amazing! So beautiful! Did I mention how pretty it was there? Honestly, it kinda reminded me of Sapphire Beach.

P8151352%20copy-L.jpg

Sapphire has about the same set up. Soft sand, beautiful water and grape trees lining it.

I'll be going in 2018 with some friends, feel free to crash our party! :cool:

Looking forward to my first time on a Fantasy Class!

Oooh, dangle that temptation...LOL!!! :D I just may have to think about that and do some "arm twisting". It worked for our Liberty cruise out of San Juan last September and I can't wait for the next chance to do it again. And the more I'm seeing of Fascination and other positive comments about the other smaller and older ships, the more I want to try them. :)

Sorry Mitsugirly...back to your review. I just saw a "spoiler" of St. Thomas....wow!!!

Edited by pghsteelerfan

.....and immediately this happened. This girl doesn't even give you enough time to put your things down. It's a drop and go thing with her.

P8151353%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari has expressed a lot of interest lately in parasailing. She talked about it a lot this cruise. Of course you could see it off in the distance and she just didn't understand why we couldn't do this today too.

P8151354%20copy-L.jpg

P8151355%20copy-L.jpg

P8151356%20copy-L.jpg

We picked our "picnic table" and put our things down. We noticed there were life guard chairs up and down the beach. But we didn't see any life guards.

P8151359%20copy-L.jpg

P8151364%20copy-L.jpg

This would be our spot for the day

P8151365%20copy-L.jpg

There are a lot of sandy areas and other areas with sea grass as well. I know there are people that don't like the sea grass, but there's a mixture of both and just the right amount. You have to think sea grass=critters and you never know what you might see in it. It's usually where you will find things like starfish and turtles, so don't knock it. But there's not much here, so no worries.

P8151366%20copy-L.jpg

We spotted our first fish of the day. Some Palometa fish (of course, they are always the welcome committee everywhere you go).

P8151369%20copy-L.jpg

P8151376%20copy-L.jpg

Yes, this day Sakari had really put on the "outfit" to become a mermaid. She had matching beads and a seashell bracelet (which I had no idea that she had even brought these).

P8151378%20copy-L.jpg

P8151379%20copy-L.jpg

Now B just turned 8 in July (3 months younger than Sakari as I have said...and also yes, we do actually call him "B" and always have). Since he has a summer birthday and since we cruise a lot, Kendra decided to buy him a seadoo seascooter (like you see them have excursions with these). Now we "normally" go to the beach every weekend to ride jet skis and tubing with the boat, but this summer super-sucked and we didn't get to go a lot (Kendra sold her boat and that decreased our visits). But, she still bought him this seascooter thinking it would be great for vacation as well.

So, he has tried it out once at our beach, but never in the ocean or "clear" water. This was the first attempt.

P8151381%20copy-L.jpg

I initially thought it was cool (at his birthday) but after using it a few times decided it's just not practical to use. The thing is SUPER heavy, you of course have to charge the battery (which takes 8 hours) and then lugging it to the beach is just not fun.

The other thing is, it's LOUD! I have seen people on here mention that it's not a good device for snorkeling when booking an excursion because the sound of it will scare fish away. I now see what they mean. It is noisy and the goal of trying to see all the good things is to be quiet and super still so that they come out from hiding. This would never allow that to happen.

The other thing is that it's like a fan and the battery makes the fan blades move to propel you in the water. The problem with this is that it propels into your face when you are behind it. For adults, it's a little easier because our arms are longer and we can hold it down a little lower. But for munchkins, it just doesn't work out the best.

I can tell you that they did have a blast with it all day though. But, I would never pay that kind of money for this. I just don't see it getting a lot of use no matter where you are and I think Kendra realized this on this beach day.

P8151500%20copy-L.jpg

P8151382%20copy-L.jpg

Do you see it???????????????

P8151384%20copy-L.jpg

What about now?

P8151387%20copy-L.jpg

I am really good at spotting these things.

It's a Peacock Flounder for those that see it. They are so funny because they try to camouflage themselves and they sit completely flat on the bottom with their eyes facing up. The weirdest looking thing ever, but yet so neat.

Sakari grabs my arm and points and says "Mommy look! It's a cowfish!!!"

P8151392%20copy-L.jpg

P8151393%20copy-L.jpg

There's Mr Flounder. He looks so sad.

P8151394%20copy-L.jpg

In the sand he's white, in the grass, he turns to brownish

P8151397%20copy-L.jpg

There were a bunch of ballyhoo there too. They swim along the surface of the water and look like mini-swordfish. It's always so hard to get a picture of them. I don't think I have ever successfully taken a GOOD picture yet.

P8151403%20copy-L.jpg

I did not realize that Mr Flounder had eyelashes. I don't think I have ever been able to get this close up to one without them scurrying off before I could get a close-up.

P8151398%20copy-L.jpg