People hold cabins (mostly Suites) and don't use them

If a person wants to book lots of cruises (regardless of cabin chosen) and pays their deposit, good for them....if some of those cruises end up cancelled and their deposits returned....so be it.

That is much much different from travel agencies being allowed to 'put on hold' many cabins without deposits from cruisers committing to use those cabins. That is unfair, but since travel agencies to bring to the cruise lines lots of business, I imagine that it is done quite a lot.....do I like this capability --- NO.

Regarding travel agencies being allowed to put cabins on hold, they must put up money towards their groups. For instance an agency can hold 100 cabins for a certain cruise for the sum of $5,000.00, or 200 cabins for $10,000. So, if an agency wants to have several groups going, it is very easy to have $50,000 or more out before deposits are made into those groups, and the agency must front this money.

Please tell me how unfair (your words) it is for travel agencies to do booking like this.:rolleyes:

Rick

Regarding travel agencies being allowed to put cabins on hold, they must put up money towards their groups. For instance an agency can hold 100 cabins for a certain cruise for the sum of $5,000.00, or 200 cabins for $10,000. So, if an agency wants to have several groups going, it is very easy to have $50,000 or more out before deposits are made into those groups, and the agency must front this money.

Please tell me how unfair (your words) it is for travel agencies to do booking like this.:rolleyes:

Rick

If travel agencies are putting up capital to reserve cabins, it is no different than if a cruiser is doing it....except for the amount of 'capital' they may have at their disposal vs a regular cruiser. I fully recognize that there are many cruisers that are in upper economic brackets and money may be of little concern. But if the travel agency is allowed to have cabins 'set aside' and out of the inventory for cruisers to choose from, without money then that is unfair. I don't know how the relationship works.

Rick

If agencies are holding certain cabins, why do the cabins showing on their web site also show up on a lot of other sites? I've done many of these "group" cruises and in the course of finding the perfect cabin, I pick out a a few cabins, and then check other sites and in every instance I find the same cabin on other sites.

If agencies are holding certain cabins, why do the cabins showing on their web site also show up on a lot of other sites? I've done many of these "group" cruises and in the course of finding the perfect cabin, I pick out a a few cabins, and then check other sites and in every instance I find the same cabin on other sites.

Because I think they hold cabin categories, not individual cabins by stateroom number. It is group "space" not individual cabins. Whatever inventory is unsold is released back to the cruise line.

Because I think they hold cabin categories, not individual cabins by stateroom number. It is group "space" not individual cabins. Whatever inventory is unsold is released back to the cruise line.

Thank you for your clarification. It is true that cabin categories are used, not individual cabins for group space, yet travel agencies are required to provide a deposit to hold cabin categories, and when inventory is unsold and released back to the cruise line, then whatever money is left over, is returned to the agency.

Rick