People hold cabins (mostly Suites) and don't use them

Really, you are on a very fine line... I wouldn't want to be a company that uses money that might be refunded regardless of the interest rate on money. If they use it in any form, it must be booked as REVENUE. Doesn't look good on the books to then refund it...

And, please explain how a publicly traded company can use money (revenue that isn't booked)? They hide it under the bed as cash?

I am on a fine line, that is the funniest line of the day.

I am not going to teach you the basics of accounting. Oh, and large companies do not hide money under the bed, they have warehouses full of large cookie jars.:rolleyes:

I would guess that there are far more rooms being held by travel agents than their are by individual cruisers.

I would agree with that, too. We did an Alaskan cruise where a lot of cabins opened up after final payment- and I don't think an early season Alaska cruise is one where lots of passengers just book for the sake of booking "just to see". I think it's more likely that an agent that can take advantage of group rates has to let those cabins go.

Given the amount of times we hear of TA bookings for group rates, that is pretty common to do.

(we went from a aft area JS to the corner JS with the massive balcony- which was awesome)

Really, you are on a very fine line... I wouldn't want to be a company that uses money that might be refunded regardless of the interest rate on money. If they use it in any form, it must be booked as REVENUE. Doesn't look good on the books to then refund it...

And, please explain how a publicly traded company can use money (revenue that isn't booked)? They hide it under the bed as cash?

They can certainly use it. It's recorded as an accounts payable. It's not like they are holding the money "in trust".

I believe a bank does this everyday. When you put money in their bank, the bank will loan it to others to make money from the interest. Its done everyday.

I think when i go on my next cruise, I might just do this and book multiple cruises to get the cheaper rooms and if I can't get the time off, will give them back.

I am on a fine line, that is the funniest line of the day.

I am not going to teach you the basics of accounting. Oh, and large companies do not hide money under the bed, they have warehouses full of large cookie jars.:rolleyes:

Trust me, you do not need to teach me basics of accounting. Lets talk about public trading and ACCOUNTABILITY. It would not behoove a publicly traded company to book money that they may refund. Book it one QTR and then debit it the next or following. Not a wise thing. Not saying it doesn't happen, but if they know it is possible that it may not turn out to be revenue, I certainly wouldn't be wise of them to book it.

I think we all have seen what happens to people publicly traded and their cookie jars. This is commonly called book cooking or cooking the books.

Bernie Madoff, as did many others who got caught, did such a thing....

I believe a bank does this everyday. When you put money in their bank, the bank will loan it to others to make money from the interest. Its done everyday.

I think when i go on my next cruise, I might just do this and book multiple cruises to get the cheaper rooms and if I can't get the time off, will give them back.

WOW.... team up on me... LOL

This is not the same thing... someone offered collateral for a loan is not like using money that is not yet theirs to book. Banking laws are not the same. Besides, the bank loaned someone money, so they can debit it... and book back the interest

Very POOR example .... next please

Edited by troykahack

For us, it is not a pricing issue, but an availability problem.

Your argument doesn't really hold water. You could do the same thing. Thinking about taking a cruise in 2018 but don't know your work schedule? Well, go ahead and book four or five cruises in a row. All it will do is tie up the deposit amounts. Then, as long as you know your schedule by final payment, cancel and you're all set.

If you're just complaining because you don't like people doing it, then it seems you want to live in much more of a nanny state than I do....

Trust me, you do not need to teach me basics of accounting. Lets talk about public trading and ACCOUNTABILITY. It would not behoove a publicly traded company to book money that they may refund. Book it one QTR and then debit it the next or following. Not a wise thing. Not saying it doesn't happen, but if they know it is possible that it may not turn out to be revenue, I certainly wouldn't be wise of them to book it.

I think we all have seen what happens to people publicly traded and their cookie jars. This is commonly called book cooking or cooking the books.

The more you spout off, the more you prove you have no idea what you are talking about. No one, other than you, said the money would be booked as revenue. No one is suggesting anyone "cook the books". Everyone, with the exception of you, understands that no company is going to leave millions of dollars "sitting under the bed" to quote you. Any company will invest cash on hand, in various instruments, some short term, some longer term, so they are actually making money on the cash they have on hand.

You need to take accounting 101 before you post again so you understand what you are talking about.

Your argument doesn't really hold water. You could do the same thing. Thinking about taking a cruise in 2018 but don't know your work schedule? Well, go ahead and book four or five cruises in a row. All it will do is tie up the deposit amounts. Then, as long as you know your schedule by final payment, cancel and you're all set.

If you're just complaining because you don't like people doing it, then it seems you want to live in much more of a nanny state than I do....

You are just telling me to do the same thing as many of you do. That is not the issue. Not all people have the same type of jobs and work schedules. Some are dedicated by other means.

Some people do not have the time to book all the cabins up on the first day or two they are posted for booking. I think you will find the more of you that become aware of this practice, the less likely you (meaning all) are less likely to get what you want... sorta of like TA cruises (across the Atlantic), so many D, D+, P.... once so many start doing this, the less likely you will be able to find the cabin you want....

I personally think it is only a problem on the two ships like Majesty and Empress with so few balconies. Maybe it does apply to other cabins, I don't know. If your not holding a JS or GS on Majesty, your not my issue. However, I don't remember the rates when we booked Serenade for 11 nights... no Suites were available when we booked in 2015. We were on wait list for upgrade from S Balcony.... then a JS came open, then a GS. We upgraded but it cost more. Not sure how much of a difference from 2015 pricing... we paid it... now I looked today, and there are many GS/JS available.

We are on Enchantment because of this. We are travelling down the night before and booked the 4 day just to get a Suite at the time we could book.

Edited by troykahack

I would guess that there are far more rooms being held by travel agents than their are by individual cruisers.

I don't know how or why a travel agency would hold specific rooms. I do know one who doesn't because I asked them. When they plan a group booking they go to the cruise line and ask for say 100 cabins so they can get a discount. They have no idea what the mix will be so this way they can sell any category they want and apply the discount to that. The cabins aren't assigned until someone actually purchases it. I've done at least six group rate cruises and I could pick out any cabin and any category available, if someone beat me to the one I wanted, tough luck for me.

The more you spout off, the more you prove you have no idea what you are talking about. No one, other than you, said the money would be booked as revenue. No one is suggesting anyone "cook the books". Everyone, with the exception of you, understands that no company is going to leave millions of dollars "sitting under the bed" to quote you. Any company will invest cash on hand, in various instruments, some short term, some longer term, so they are actually making money on the cash they have on hand.

You need to take accounting 101 before you post again so you understand what you are talking about.

HYPO said...

These held bookings greatly benefit the cruise lines, as they have a large pool of money that they are using interest-free from these bookings.

Please explain how this can happen without taking a huge risk. What if they used it ALL and then it was refunded. Accounting 101

HYPO said...

These held bookings greatly benefit the cruise lines, as they have a large pool of money that they are using interest-free from these bookings.

Please explain how this can happen without taking a huge risk. What if they used it ALL and then it was refunded. Accounting 101

Time to move on to investing 101.

It will be replaced almost immediately when the next person books that suddenly available Owner's suite.

Why wouldn't they use money they have, whether they may have to give it back at some point in the future. Most of love free money. I bet even people who always say that they don't care what things cost, they just want the best stuff when they want it.:rolleyes:

JC

Good grief. Talk about falling over the line... You just went into the Grand Canyon.:rolleyes::D

JC

I don't know how or why a travel agency would hold specific rooms. I do know one who doesn't because I asked them. When they plan a group booking they go to the cruise line and ask for say 100 cabins so they can get a discount. They have no idea what the mix will be so this way they can sell any category they want and apply the discount to that. The cabins aren't assigned until someone actually purchases it. I've done at least six group rate cruises and I could pick out any cabin and any category available, if someone beat me to the one I wanted, tough luck for me.

It depends on how the cabins are assigned. It's can't be some generic pool of rooms, or they could be booked. Seems to be they would have to be specific cabins.

Now I look today, and about 1/3 the GS are now available. The JS were sold out too and now are available. The problem is, the rates normally climb the closer to the cruise date.

If a lot of inventory opens then that should actually cause prices to drop as RCI will want to sell it off.

This should be grateful for those folks that you are complaining about.;)

It will be replaced almost immediately when the next person books that suddenly available Owner's suite.

Why wouldn't they use money they have, whether they may have to give it back at some point in the future. Most of love free money. I bet even people who always say that they don't care what things cost, they just want the best stuff when they want it.:rolleyes:

JC

Sure, when someone pays final payment, then they should be able to book the deposit. So, if a cabin is snatched up and final payment is made, I am sure they book the revenue.

If a lot of inventory opens then that should actually cause prices to drop as RCI will want to sell it off.

This should be grateful for those folks that you are complaining about.;)

You see lots of price drops is Suites? Any examples?

I know RCCL sells off a lot of their inside cabins near cruise time...

It depends on how the cabins are assigned. It's can't be some generic pool of rooms, or they could be booked. Seems to be they would have to be specific cabins.

I had my pick of any room, any category available and I got the great discount. I look at room availability on the uk web site as they show all the rooms available. I got my first choice every time. If someone picks a guarantee then the cruise line assigns them.

My second statement says, if I don't react right away, someone else could scoop up the one I wanted.

JC

Comparing the practices of a individual buying and the practices of a PUBLICLY traded company, are not same.

I had my pick of any room, any category available and I got the great discount. I look at room availability on the uk web site as they show all the rooms available. I got my first choice every time. If someone picks a guarantee then the cruise line assigns them.

My second statement says, if I don't react right away, someone else could scoop up the one I wanted.

It may be unique to particular ships, ports, and dates.

We attempted to book Majesty for several weekends but all JS/GS were booked. I followed it for some time and about the time final payment would have been due, they opened up. But it was too late for us to use them as we were already committed to other things, both business and pleasure.

Comparing the practices of a individual buying and the practices of a PUBLICLY traded company, are not same.

O good lord. If the stockholders knew that RCI was hiding the deposits under the bed and not investing the money to make money they would replace the board of directors and the officers. It is called running a business, and it is easily accounted for.

Do you pedantically argue every point posted on the Internet? Inquiring minds. :rolleyes: What I am saying is occasionally, and possibly by accident you make a valid point, but in fighting over every reply you inevitably destroy not only your argument, but definitely your credibility. Just trying to help.:eek:

You remind me of Bicker from this forum many many years ago... Fan of the old Dis boards?:D. Some of the old timers here will giggle when they read this.:eek:

JC