Another birth certificate question

kernie968

I love this forum because somebody has always been through the experience you need help with and can tell you the answer and calm your mind.

I am taking my parents on a 62nd wedding anniversary cruise on the Breakaway in October. Neither parent have ever travel out of the country so they do not have passports. I asked them to get me their birth certificates so I could make sure they had the raised seals. My mom has her original and looks fine, but my dad never found his original and sent for a copy.

The copy does not look like all the other birth certificates I have seen. It certifies that the actual birth recording is in a book at the county clerk office and tells what page it is on. It does have all the information that a regular birth certificate would have and it does have the raised seal. Has anyone else ever used a birth certificate like this? I thought the copy would look like the original. I would hate to get to the ship and have leave my dad in New York City because of the birth certificate.

Since it is a certified copy of the certificate and indicates place of birth and both parents names and has some sort of official seal (in your case the raised seal) which on others might be a distinct watermark or other form of indication, it should be fine. Was it issued by the state and therefore it has the indication of where in the county register the original is found.

Hard to say what a birth certificate would have looked like 80+ years ago. He needs to go to the county clerk or health department (whoever is in charge of birth certificates) and ask for a certified copy of the birth certificate.

I would still recommend them getting their passport. Is it absolutely necessary? No. But its never a bad idea and you won't have to worry about whether or not the port authority will accept the passport.

Sauer-kraut-It was issued by the state of West Virginia and does have the county name and the county clerk's signature.

I know we should get passports, but since this is the first time they are leaving the country and are in their eighties I do not think they would ever use a passport again.

Thank you for your responses.

Hard to say what a birth certificate would have looked like 80+ years ago. He needs to go to the county clerk or health department (whoever is in charge of birth certificates) and ask for a certified copy of the birth certificate. .....

I think what he has IS a certified copy since it has official seal. His birth was probably at home and then registered. That is why there is page reference.

Birth certificates with information from home births in those days are completely different from now.

My "original" birth certificate copy was a printout from a microfiche record of the hand-typed real original birth certificate, with the raised seal of the New York City Department of Health. It had all kinds of interesting details, like my parents' address and where they were born and their occupations. Over the years it got so creased that you couldn't read the information in the folds anymore, so I ordered a new one.

My "new" birth certificate is clearly just a computer print-out that has my name, my parents' names, my date of birth and the fact that I was born in Queens. It also has the raised seal of the NYC DoH and I've had no issues having it accepted. It's a lot more boring, but just as valid. As long as you've got an official seal, I'm sure you won't have any trouble.

Have a great trip.

Edited by jm485

I love this forum because somebody has always been through the experience you need help with and can tell you the answer and calm your mind.

I am taking my parents on a 62nd wedding anniversary cruise on the Breakaway in October. Neither parent have ever travel out of the country so they do not have passports. I asked them to get me their birth certificates so I could make sure they had the raised seals. My mom has her original and looks fine, but my dad never found his original and sent for a copy.

The copy does not look like all the other birth certificates I have seen. It certifies that the actual birth recording is in a book at the county clerk office and tells what page it is on. It does have all the information that a regular birth certificate would have and it does have the raised seal. Has anyone else ever used a birth certificate like this? I thought the copy would look like the original. I would hate to get to the ship and have leave my dad in New York City because of the birth certificate.

I have a reissue(they are to come from the state the person was born in) and yes, it looks NOTHING like the originals. However they work just as well with a photo id to board with so you will not have any issues. Mine also has a seal and is an official document. Just don't let them forget their photo ID's because they have to have both to board

Sauer-kraut-It was issued by the state of West Virginia and does have the county name and the county clerk's signature.

I know we should get passports, but since this is the first time they are leaving the country and are in their eighties I do not think they would ever use a passport again.

Thank you for your responses.

I realize they probably won't use a passport again but given their advanced age are there health issues that might cause them to have to return early? How's their balance and motor skills, any risk of falling?

I did read about an elderly lady that broke her hip in a fall and it took three days for her to get home. She didn't have a passport and of course the person recounting the story didn't know how much of that three days was spent stabilizing her to return home and how much was a delay caused by having to get the documentation to return. I think about my dad at 83 and if I were taking him on a cruise I would have to give really careful thought to getting him a passport (and of course having good travel insurance).

62nd anniversary? Mazel tov! Make sure you take them to one of the first shows in the main theatre. The Hotel Director usually does a quick bit asking who's been married the longest. That couple usually gets a bottle of bubbly (which can be exchanged for NCL-branded wine at any bar) and a round of applause (plus recognition from fellow cruisers throughout the rest of the cruise).

Thank you everyone. I feel better now. Now I just need time to go faster!

It's usually the first night, when they do the intro show. Although you're on the Breakaway, I assume they do something similar on the big ships. Newlywed Game should be a hoot too. Nevertheless, they will have a great time!

Thank you atomax I did not know about that. I will be sure to take them. I am going to try to get them to try out for the Newlywed game.