Hints for Crown Princess from Santiago to Fort Lauderdale Feb 2017

Janteach

If you go to Falklands, do penguins there. I did and saw more penguins than the folks who did it at Punta Arenas.

Do a winery tour in chile

In Punta Arenas, I did the ranch and had some fabulous lunch and bought local yarn.

Uruguay, I did the UNESCO site at Colonia de Sacramento and loved it

If you have a balcony, don't sit out on the Rio de la Platte, lots of little black bugs attracted to the lights. And don't leave your balcony door open, they will get in your cabin.

Sunscreen even if just outside for 5 minutes. The sun is very intense. I didn't put sunscreen on my shins one day and was badly burned. Aloe Vera gel got used up quickly. Nothing else worked except for some milky lotion sold at the spa.

I loved that cruise and hope you do too. I was from Rio to Valparaiso /Santiago in Jan 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pick a landside cabin if you have a balcony. You'll be on the correct side for cruising around the Horn and while in Glacier Alley.

Pack plenty of layers since you'll experience an extreme variation in temperatures during your cruise.

See penguins! We loved Magdalena Island in Punta Arenas as well as the local crafters a couple of blocks from the ship after our tour.

Agree with doing the winery tour in Chile too. We've done a winery tour / transfer to the ship twice now and it was fantastic both times.

Enjoy! It's a fantastic itinerary.

If you really want to see penguins, book multiple penguin tours in Falklands, Ushuaia, and Punta Arenas - Falklands and Punta Arenas are tender ports and frequently missed due to weather. We did the North Pond tour at Falklands, and it was excellent, 20 people in the tour group and sat among a flock of penguins.

Bring many layers of clothes for any tour in those ports - although it may be sunny, the wind (especially in Punta Arenas) can be constant 20-30mph gusts making it very cold even if its 50 degrees F according to the weather report.

• 4 months later...
We are booked for March 25th, 2017...can anyone tell me about the Sanctuary..$$ and also can we book for the week instead of daily

There are many threads on this feature and Princess has pricing on their website. You can book for entire cruise or by individual days or 1/2 days. Preference is given to full cruise bookings and advance daily selections. The full cruise pricing is $30/day normally versus $40/day.

If you are on this trip, I expect there won't be much, if any, demand for Sanctuary in the most southern latitudes as it will be cool, and perhaps windy and even cold a couple of days. That said, they will supply blankets.

I wouldn't be booking the entire trip as I know I would be off at port stops. For example, we are taking the 60-day Grand South America in 2018, and I won't be booking entire cruise (and I am a big fan of Sanctuary). I plan to book @sea days for the warmer latitudes.

Edited by steelers36