Princess vs Royal

Trixie21

First time posting on the princess board.

Most of my previous and recent cruises have been on Royal ( anthem , ovation , harmony and upcoming navigator next June ).

I am currently very happy with Royal but always looking for something new. I have been looking at princess with some interest recently and read some good general comments and reviews. Princess seems to have some interesting itineraries .

Maybe some of you can provide me with some idea of how you think princess compares to Royal in the following areas

1- entertainment.

2-food standard and variety.

3-drink prices and drink packages

4-service

5-cabin decor , size etc.

6- price overall.

All input gratefully received.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you decide to give Princess a try, this is a good time to do it.

The current sale is called "3 for free). It includes: $100pp deposit, up to $300 OBC depending on length of cruise, free gratuities ($12.99 or $13.95 per day depending on cabin type), and cabin location upgrade.

It's a pretty good deal, especially for a first time Princess try-out.

You are really comparing apples to oranges. The corporation that owns Royal Caribbean (a younger, more family oriented line, brighter colors, etc.) also owns Celebrity. Celebrity is much more comparable to Princess.

Princess is owned by Carnival Corporation which owns a whole bunch of cruise lines. Some of these are more oriented to the younger crowd.

First time posting on the princess board.

Most of my previous and recent cruises have been on Royal ( anthem , ovation , harmony and upcoming navigator next June ).

I am currently very happy with Royal but always looking for something new. I have been looking at princess with some interest recently and read some good general comments and reviews. Princess seems to have some interesting itineraries .

Maybe some of you can provide me with some idea of how you think princess compares to Royal in the following areas

1- entertainment.

Given that you've only, so far, sailed RCIs newest and most spectacular shios, you'll find the production shows much better on Royal. However, the various lounges with music and entertainment are better on Princess, and live music lasts longer into the night on Princess, with the exceptions _ maybe of Boleros on RCI.

2-food standard and variety.

Again, very different given the current Dynamic Dining set-up on Anthem and Ovation especially. Overall, Princess is better in service and food prep for main dining rooms, as they are smaller and the wait staff have less tables than RCI. You'll find Princess dining rooms more similar to the Dynamic Dining rooms on Anthem and Ovation as opposed to the huge three story grand dining room on Harmony.. With smaller rooms, and less tables - noise level is better, wait staff is more attentive overall and food is - slightly - better on Princess.

For specialty dining - not as many options as RCI, but much less expensive.

3-drink prices and drink packages

Drink prices are significantly cheaper on Princess, and only one alcohol package - which RCI also just switched to. The all-inclusive package on Princess covers about 98% of the drinks onboard, including water, soda, specialty coffees and teas, non-alcoholic drinks, cocktails, wines by the glass, shots, mixed drinks, etc.

There is also a soda and more package similar to RCIs Replenish package, which is $8.05 or so on Princess and includes non-alcoholic beverages excluding water.

Virtually all drinks are $10 or under.

4-service

Very good and more personal on Princess. There's still a somewhat higher crew to guest ration on Princess, so crew has a bit more time to do their jobs and be sociable and friendly with guests.

5-cabin decor , size etc.

Sizes are similar, however layout is very different. IE: regular balcony cabins on Princess do not have a small sofa. Instead, they have a very large walk-in closet and dressing area departing the room from the bathroom and providing a small entrance hallway to the vain as opposed to the immediate cabin entrance on RCI, bathroom set by the door, small closet opening either onto couch or bed... The Princess cabins provide more space at the end of the bed, and generally more spacious feeling overall. Also, not alternating of bed by balcony bed by door...they're laid out the same regardless..

6- price overall.

..Price overall - Princess is likely going to be less expensive to yiu given you've only currently sailed RCIs brand new ships! In general though, greatly depends on ship, time of year, itinerary, etc. We've found our Princess sailings to be - usually - less than RCI

All input gratefully received.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Answers above... Hope that helps..

Edited by reedprincess