Liberty VOOM -- Good enough for texting ship wide?

widallas

I know there has been talk about how bad the VOOM (or pseudo-VOOM) is on Liberty of the Seas. Does it work well enough to text back and forth over a wi-fi app? Thinking about getting the VOOM SURF Voyage Package for 3 Devices, just so we can keep up with everyone when they are out. How has your on-ship communication been, and is it worth it? Thanks....

Texting should not be affected by slowness, it uses very little data. It could be affected by dead spots where you don't have any WiFi coverage at all or when the connection drops (time out, other reason).

I wouldn't get a 3 device package just keep in touch on the ship itself - I'd use voicemail on cabin phone or notes or something else.

Texting should not be affected by slowness, it uses very little data. It could be affected by dead spots where you don't have any WiFi coverage at all or when the connection drops (time out, other reason).

I wouldn't get a 3 device package just keep in touch on the ship itself - I'd use voicemail on cabin phone or notes or something else.

Not sure about texting but the VOOM is very slow. I have it mai nly to keep in touch with home and I think it is extremely the slowest I've ever had. Almost as slow as dial up. However you aren't paying for time, thank heavens, so if you are willing g to deal with the slowness it's not bad.

I know there has been talk about how bad the VOOM (or pseudo-VOOM) is on Liberty of the Seas. Does it work well enough to text back and forth over a wi-fi app? Thinking about getting the VOOM SURF Voyage Package for 3 Devices, just so we can keep up with everyone when they are out. How has your on-ship communication been, and is it worth it? Thanks....

Sorry but we don't use technology just to communicate with one another on board. We just use sticky notes by the door, or agree on specific time and place to keep in touch.

The thought of completely disconnecting for a week sounds great...we are coordinating with two tens though (one of which had a major medical issue) so I think it's just me being a nervous mom. I actually did pick up a couple of white boards on sale...might be the best plan! Thanks for the feedback to all...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by widallas

Worked well for us in June of this year. I even received a few surprise wifi calls.

How was the wifi calling? I'm hoping that works well for me too. Wi-Fi calling works fine at home or other places with good internet, but I'm wondering if you could perceive the satellite delay, and how good the audio quality was.

How was the wifi calling? I'm hoping that works well for me too. Wi-Fi calling works fine at home or other places with good internet, but I'm wondering if you could perceive the satellite delay, and how good the audio quality was.

I didn't notice a delay on any of the calls however, I was only on the phone for a few minutes each time (5 minutes each call maybe). I'm a little hesitant to say it's 100% reliable. I was shocked the calls came through to my phone at all. I am with AT&T and have an iPhone which I had set to airplane mode and turned off cellular data.

I just got back 2 days ago. We were able to use internet just fine for texting IF the person you are texting hasn't left their phone in the cabin. :rolleyes:Internet phone calls that I made were not very good but I was able to make them. There was a lot of static on the calls. I did not attempt any video calls.

I bought it on Liberty 9-4 thru 9-11... I, too, thought it would be horrible, based on the comments here.

However, I consistently was able to download around 70-100KB/sec. It took about 10 seconds to upload a photo to Instagram.

Make sure you turn off auto app updates, as by the end of the week, I had 30+ app updates always trying to update, which slowed everything else down. It took about 30+ mins to update one app, depending upon the size of the app.

Edited by TeeJay00

I bought it on Liberty 9-4 thru 9-11... I, too, thought it would be horrible, based on the comments here.

However, I consistently was able to download around 70-100KB/sec. It took about 10 seconds to upload a photo to Instagram.

Make sure you turn off auto app updates, as by the end of the week, I had 30+ app updates always trying to update, which slowed everything else down. It took about 30+ mins to update one app, depending upon the size of the app.

Good to know...that background app refresh and auto-update for iPhones can be such a pain!