UK cruises, new gratuities

antsp

Princess also did that for several months, but I do not know if it was at the same time as Holland America.

Princess called it "What you see is what you pay."

I recall that several years ago now but I had in my mind that this was Port Charges included in the cruise price, not Gratuities Included. I liked it just like I would like to see the cruise price include Gratuities.

On a side note, when recently in Australia to board Emerald Princess I noted that the cruise price there also included Port Charges in Australian $ when I wasn't logged in on the Princess site. Sure wish Princess would include gratuities and possibly port charges in the cruise price for the rest of us.

AE_Collector

<Edit> Oops, I see you were talking about port charges and fees, not gratuities.

Edited by AE_Collector
added info

Again pretty simple. All publicly traded firms have to have their financials audited. So you have the checks on internal controls as defined by Sarbanes Oxley. Those are confirmed by their auditor.

If an auditor were to detect a violation of financial reporting rules or to find a lack of controls they are required to report it, and in most cases not to sign off on the annual report. In that case the companies stock would be pretty much cut in half. Claiming the benefits of the gratuity policy and then violating a portion of the rules concerning complete distribution would cost the company far far more than any benefit they would receive.

Or to put it simply the same tracking as it would be if the money was all salary and included in revenue.

From the annual report

Management’s Annual Report on Internal Control over Financial Reporting

Our management is responsible for establishing and maintaining adequate internal control over financial reporting, as such term is defined in the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 Rule 13a-15(f). Under the supervision and with the participation of our management, including our President and Chief Executive Officer and our Chief Financial Officer and Chief Accounting Officer, we conducted an evaluation of the effectiveness of our internal control over financial reporting based on the 2013 Internal Control – Integrated Framework, issued by the Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission (“COSO Framework”). Based on our evaluation under the COSO Framework, our management concluded that our internal control over financial reporting was effective as of November 30, 2016.

PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, the independent registered certified public accounting firm that audited our consolidated financial statements incorporated in this Form 10-K, has also audited the effectiveness of our internal control over financial reporting as of November 30, 2016 as stated in their report, which is shown in Exhibit 13 and is incorporated by reference into this Form 10-K.

Google Price Waterhouse lawsuits and you may not be so awed by their accounting diligence.

They have lost some pretty big suits because of their failure to uncover fraud.