UK cruises, new gratuities

antsp

I'm not. My complaint is they're not added to the purchase price advertised.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

A couple of years ago Holland America included taxes and fees in the amount listed on their web site for cruise fare. That lasted about 3 months before they went back to showing the cruise fare and listing the taxes and fees separately. That was a clear demonstration on competition in the cruise industry and just how sensitive it is to price.

From what I recall the requirement to include taxes in the prices in the UK and for that matter in the EU largely came about due to the VAT and its fairly substantial size (starting sometime in the 70s about the same time the UK joined the EU and the VAT system started). The government has a clear reason not to have the VAT show up as a separate line item in the bill but instead to have the consumer see only the final price. Far less visibility to the impact of VAT on consumer prices by having it included.

I suspect if the US ever went the national VAT route you would probably see a requirement for taxes to be included as well.

Hi again

Before VAT we had PT which I barely remember.

VAT is a simple system - in my eyes.

The country goes on a shopping spree when VAT is reduced.

VAT rates vary enormously across the EU and I have found large variances in the hotel sector.

The EU is not alone in displaying tax inclusive prices.

Australia and other countries use GST.

I do appreciate that sales taxes vary across your country.

Annie

Tourists would probably spend more if it was more transparent.

Interesting use of the term transparent. I, for one, consider a system that breaks out the cost of goods and taxes into separate line items to be more transparent than one where they are lumped into one number.

The total price system might be more accurate, complete, or a few other descriptors, but I would not call it more transparent.

Interesting use of the term transparent. I, for one, consider a system that breaks out the cost of goods and taxes into separate line items to be more transparent than one where they are lumped into one number.

The total price system might be more accurate, complete, or a few other descriptors, but I would not call it more transparent.

If the tax is compulsory it becomes irrelevant doesn't it? Especially to a tourist. The higher amount is what you've got to have in your pocket :-)

Hi again

Before VAT we had PT which I barely remember.

VAT is a simple system - in my eyes.

The country goes on a shopping spree when VAT is reduced.

VAT rates vary enormously across the EU and I have found large variances in the hotel sector.

The EU is not alone in displaying tax inclusive prices.

Australia and other countries use GST.

I do appreciate that sales taxes vary across your country.

Annie

Just pointing out that the movement in laws to include taxes in the listed price track pretty closely to the movement to vat, gst and other systems where the tax amount is a substantial portion of that price. In the US the one place where taxes are included in the price is in the purchase of gasoline (the area which just happens to have the highest percentage of taxes compared to the price of the product).

If the tax is compulsory it becomes irrelevant doesn't it? Especially to a tourist. The higher amount is what you've got to have in your pocket :-)

Tax systems, and corresponding pricing laws are in general not put in place for tourists.

I would prefer where VAT identified separately since I can get it refunded when I am a tourist in the countries that charge it.

We can debate the pros and cons of taxation systems and country laws for quite a while. Doubt we would change many opinions though.

Tax systems, and corresponding pricing laws are in general not put in place for tourists.

I would prefer where VAT identified separately since I can get it refunded when I am a tourist in the countries that charge it.

We can debate the pros and cons of taxation systems and country laws for quite a while. Doubt we would change many opinions though.

Agreed :)

happy cruising

Annie

True :-)

There is primary reason why major cruise lines (CCL, RCL, NCL) tend to operate using American norms. Almost 60% of the cruise passengers are from America. Look at the demographics of those three holding companies and the percentage gets even larger.

On a multi-generational family trip to USA, that is what I do.

3 columns

Ticket Price (USD)

Till Price which includes sales tax (USD)

Est GBP price.

Annie

I have Washington, Alaska and Vancouver to factor into mine. 2 currency rates and possibly 3 or more different tax rates (need to check that and what items are/are not taxed) Spreadsheet needed I think! ;-)

I have Washington, Alaska and Vancouver to factor into mine. 2 currency rates and possibly 3 or more different tax rates (need to check that and what items are/are not taxed) Spreadsheet needed I think! ;-)

Alaska doesn't have sales tax :)

Do you mean Washington state or DC?? I guess the former.

I am a boring excel geek.

Enjoy your trip.

Annie

There is primary reason why major cruise lines (CCL, RCL, NCL) tend to operate using American norms. Almost 60% of the cruise passengers are from America. Look at the demographics of those three holding companies and the percentage gets even larger.

We do appreciate that. Interesting though they operate a gratuity inclusive fare in Oz. Just saying.

Annie

Enjoy your trip.

Annie

Aha, thank you. Yes, Seattle. That'll be my first US city. Not that there'll be much time for anything but racing around trying to fit everything into the 2 days we have there.

There was a time in New York where provided you were purchasing clothing or shoes under a certain limit which I think was $110, there was no sales tax.

Annie

Tourists would probably spend more if it was more transparent.

What was more transparent? The price or the clothing? :')

......I do appreciate that sales taxes vary across your country.

Annie

In fact, they vary from city to city, from county to county, and from state to state. As a business owner, having to deal with calculating the sales tax for the custom made products I sell based on where it will be delivered to is a huge drain on my time during tax time.

However, the silver lining in our tax system is that each community can vote to increase their own taxes to support whatever services they want in their town. A couple of decades ago several adjacent counties voted to tax themselves to build a new freeway through our communities to increase the options we had to get around. That freeway has been a huge improvement in our ability to get around our area. And, since it was constructed from taxes approved by the tax payers, a condition of approval was that large trucks are not allowed on this route.

These voter approved taxes require a 2/3rds majority to pass, and they often do. We have taxed ourselves for light and heavy rail transit systems, for more bus lines, and for widening of existing and congested highways. A truly resident driven system of getting exactly what we want built, not what some bureaucrat or developer thinks we need.

Due to the requirements of each community, taxes are typically different in each, which makes it interesting when shopping in stores in different towns. In fact, we have one huge shopping mall that spans the border between two cities. The stores located at one end of the mall have tax rates a 1/4 cent higher than the stores at the other end. Can't get much weirder than that.

Enjoy your trip.

Annie

Alaska does not have a state sales tax, but cities can set their own rate. For example it is 7.5% in Homer, Ketchikan 6%, Skagway 5%, Juneau 5% so one would have to set up a spread sheet by port.

In fact, they vary from city to city, from county to county, and from state to state. As a business owner, having to deal with calculating the sales tax for the custom made products I sell based on where it will be delivered to is a huge drain on my time during tax time.

However, the silver lining in our tax system is that each community can vote to increase their own taxes to support whatever services they want in their town. A couple of decades ago several adjacent counties voted to tax themselves to build a new freeway through our communities to increase the options we had to get around. That freeway has been a huge improvement in our ability to get around our area. And, since it was constructed from taxes approved by the tax payers, a condition of approval was that large trucks are not allowed on this route.

These voter approved taxes require a 2/3rds majority to pass, and they often do. We have taxed ourselves for light and heavy rail transit systems, for more bus lines, and for widening of existing and congested highways. A truly resident driven system of getting exactly what we want built, not what some bureaucrat or developer thinks we need.

Due to the requirements of each community, taxes are typically different in each, which makes it interesting when shopping in stores in different towns. In fact, we have one huge shopping mall that spans the border between two cities. The stores located at one end of the mall have tax rates a 1/4 cent higher than the stores at the other end. Can't get much weirder than that.

The US system of breaking out sales tax makes it very clear to the residents just what they are paying in sales taxes.

Vancouver Washington has it nice. No income tax in Washington, and no sales tax across the river in Oregon

We do appreciate that. Interesting though they operate a gratuity inclusive fare in Oz. Just saying.

Annie

The ships that are set up to do the gratuity inclusive fares, as operated by the Australian subsidiary. They operate under Australian regulations, and Australian financial reporting rules. You will also notice difference is the sale of beverage packages (much more limited due to Australian regulations) and some labor rules.

That keeps it somewhat isolated from the parent company.