Star Princess North to Alaska! Sept 10 2016

Bimmer09

Although MDR lunch on port days is a thing of the past on sea days it is a treat.

It's just nice to sit down at a table with a white tablecloth (take note Carnival) and flowers and be served.

It's even nicer when the food is coming from a good kitchen. We were impressed by the food on the Star. I put on 3lbs extra weight (and my weight has been the same for the past 20 years or so) and might have added more if I didn't walk around the ship so much each day.

We ate at 1.15 pm when Carol returned from a Naturalist Lecture.

I had some delicious soup which doesn't appear in Carol's notes

30342784231_54be87720f_b.jpg

Carol was very happy with her spaghetti and meatballs.

30312460782_a84b42a91c_b.jpg

I enjoyed my cheeseburger and fries

30132153670_2dbb3f6b52_b.jpg

Some yummy mystery pie that I can't recall the name of

29797456973_bc12ab4392_b.jpg

We both love a good hamburger and although this was a thinnish patty and was cooked "well" it was a nice change of pace. We have a 5 Guys experience once a week when we drive down to our Michigan home. There's no ordering "medium" there either but we love their burgers and stellar fries and the ability to choose your toppings (as few as possible for me as I don't like a sloppy messy burger)

The food will lead Carol to the gym and me to a nap and once awake there will be packing to do. Sigh.

The week had gone so fast like a warm wave that washes on shore and then recedes, never to return. 6 months of anticipation gone in 7 days. The good news is that everyone on board is probably feeling the same-when I open our door I can hear people sobbing. Some have put down their banjos in favor of the darker sound of the cello.

Not everyone though- my smoking buddy Kevin from Pennsylvania is going on a cruise tour after this on the train that will be waiting in Whittier. Waiting to taunt us as for us the dream is over... actually not just yet as we have glaciers this evening and tomorrow when we are unceremoniously booted off the ship we have a 6 hour excursion where we will get up close to things like this...

30160376560_f40169c571_b.jpg

Norris

Careful there Bimmer, that he is a she. And, she let it be known in no uncertain teams to a couple of respondents to the thread.

BTW, As far as culinary subjects go, would I be correct to assume that Princess has replaced hash browns with, what looks like, Potato Cake looking things like you would get at Arby's?

Enjoying all of the pictures. Our next Alaska cruise is already booked :), but, it is more than 600 days away. :mad:

ar, thanks for the revelation of the sex of Disappointed Chef whose panties were in a bunch.

I like the shredded potato hash browns (well done, burn them if you like) moreso than the patty type but it's potato and so I'll eat it anyway.

I have never been to an Arbys but I have no reason not to. I'll give them a try.

How are their french fries? Ever eaten the 5 Guys fries?

600 days away? Yikes! Mind you we have an opera week in San Francisco booked that far out but in the meantime there's a Caribbean Cruise in January and a Norway one in the planning stages for next August-so much to look forward to!

Cheers,

Norris, soon to unleash the new glacier pictures.

MY LORDS, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN....

29826221943_6c5c6c0799_b.jpg

I'll jump to a later in the day shot where even using a 10 mm Ultra Wide Lens I can't get it all in the frame. It's 1.5 miles wide and covers 120,000 acres to a depth of 300 feet. 30 miles in length, about the same distance from here to somewhere 30 miles away.

30313844892_c1e36378f0_b.jpg

Ok, now I'll show the pics in the order taken and they will mainly be close-ups of the craggy face.

30343929451_0bdbb81e2d_b.jpg

30343932481_3d9a2b66a2_b.jpg

It's a jagged mess and totally unsuitable for ice skating hence the lack of Canadians seen doing triple axles in this shot

30313689222_88eb4fde04_b.jpg

30343939761_e3559a8e22_b.jpg

29798562663_3aa07438d4_b.jpg

30430327825_68a8205d36_b.jpg

I'm on Promenade deck starboard as we are getting the first 45 minutes while port twiddles its thumbs

30430334475_b29b3183b2_b.jpg

Verdant mountainsides

30430341585_99a1a03ae9_b.jpg

30430344475_6032a4dd0f_b.jpg

Such a dirty face

30133424500_049506f9aa_b.jpg

The light will keep changing as clouds come and go but later we'll get some sun

I have never been to an Arbys but I have no reason not to. I'll give them a try.

How are their french fries? Ever eaten the 5 Guys fries?

I have not eaten at 5 Guys, however, Mrs. ar1950 has and says no comparison on the fries.

If you try Arby's once maybe then you will have a good reason not to eat there. ;)

Sorry to see the review getting close to the end.

We're going' up around the bend to see an old friend...

I don't recall the "to see an old friend" part, but JOHN FOGERTY "Up Around The Bend" ?

Edited by ar1950

I have not eaten at 5 Guys, however, Mrs. ar1950 has and says no comparison on the fries.

If you try Arby's once maybe then you will have a good reason not to eat there. ;)

Sorry to see the review getting close to the end.

We're going' up around the bend to see an old friend...

I don't recall the "to see an old friend" part, but JOHN FOGERTY "Up Around The Bend" ?

Hmm, now I'm on the fence about Arby's after your ringing endorsement.

Up around the bend is correct.

Yes the review is inching its way to the Finish Line. I have been trying to keep to a schedule as we are going on a driving trip next week and will be away for 4 days.

Thanks for reading every page.

Norris

Looking at all of your great photos just makes me want to go back to Alaska again.

Thank You,

Tony

Tony, it's my pleasure to share these photos with you.

We certainly haven't crossed Alaska off our list yet. It's reliably amazing for us and is relatively close to home.

Thanks for continuing to read and comment.

Norris

Hello again Norris,

Believe it or not, I thought of you as I was driving to work yesterday morning. I floated to a different building than my usual, so I was driving east on a nice hilly road surrounded by changing trees, a small lake, the sun shining through the clouds, and great puffs of mist floating about...you would have loved it. No pictures though, as I was driving.

Regarding fries, the truffle fries at the Main Event here in the Other Vancouver, are marvelous.

Regards,

Karen, who doesn't get tired of Alaska either

30394255196_51f4fcd3e9_b.jpg

30313784932_5813feb8e8_b.jpg

Hanging glaciers in the mountains-shrinking

30430418085_ca93e7ec5c_b.jpg

The Captain comes on the P.A to say he is sending a boat out to pick up some of the floating ice for us to touch and look at. BYE BYE!

30133489280_26a36526c2_b.jpg

30313791022_f78e3c22a3_b.jpg

Wonderful. I can't thank you enough for these photo's. I will never get there - not only is my husband an old crock but he won't fly:)

Strangely, every time that I go out to eat I have a burger. No, not my grandchildren's prefered joint! I had the best burger on Silhouette in the MDR one lunchtime. It is very difficult to find a place in the buffet when you are on your own. All those knives and forks and plates to carry. You bag a seat and when you return it has gone! I would take something for my husband to eat in the cabin - every day I told the ice cream man it wasn't for me but I knew he didn't believe me until I rolled up with OH in a wheelchair:):

Norway sounds great. We haven't decided for next year. We are having a big party week when four people have big birthdays then off up to Scotland. I fancy Iceland but I am boycotting the Faroe Islands until they stop whaling.

Nobody needs to eat whales in this day and age.

I want to see the Northern Lights again. Wonderful.

Thank you once again.

Hi Norris I am still following along with your review and as usual it is a typical Norris review that I am accustom to. Your chronological order, wonderful pictures, and great story telling of your adventure. Job well done.

Would you happen to have a video of the calving by chance?

Edited by hockeyguru32

Wonderful. I can't thank you enough for these photo's. I will never get there - not only is my husband an old crock but he won't fly:)

Strangely, every time that I go out to eat I have a burger. No, not my grandchildren's prefered joint! I had the best burger on Silhouette in the MDR one lunchtime. It is very difficult to find a place in the buffet when you are on your own. All those knives and forks and plates to carry. You bag a seat and when you return it has gone! I would take something for my husband to eat in the cabin - every day I told the ice cream man it wasn't for me but I knew he didn't believe me until I rolled up with OH in a wheelchair:):

Norway sounds great. We haven't decided for next year. We are having a big party week when four people have big birthdays then off up to Scotland. I fancy Iceland but I am boycotting the Faroe Islands until they stop whaling.

Nobody needs to eat whales in this day and age.

I want to see the Northern Lights again. Wonderful.

Thank you once again.

If your husband won't fly-and I can understand if he is in a wheelchair-then Norway is unlikely to happen for you. So assuming I do go I will shoot even more photos with you and your husband in mind. I plan on shooting a Boatload but I can ramp that up to a Shipload. If we get Wagner tickets we'll be going to Germany and Norway will have to wait. I'll book Norway when we are on the Reflection in January to get the best deal. We have complimentary Everything on the Reflection plus $550 OBC.

Iceland looks good or at least different from a topographical point of view. They are a bit short of trees so I could never live there or stay a week even. Miaminice, one of my favorite travelers has a link to his blog on the X Board at the minute and it's really worth a look. But air travel would be involved, wouldn't it, to get to the ship?

Re the buffet- I always eat at off-peak times (only breakfast) while on X I eat lunch even if it is busy and then eat outside on the aft deck. The X buffet is way better than the Grand Class ships of Princess.

Keep reading!

Norris

Hi Norris I am still following along with your review and as usual it is a typical Norris review that I am accustom to. Your chronological order, wonderful pictures, and great story telling of your adventure. Job well done.

Would you happen to have a video of the calving by chance?

I have video of the Harvard and I think there is calving on it. I was juggling cameras which is normal. I'll include it after the photos.

Thanks for the compliments! I appreciate feedback positive or negative. The only negative I won't ever accept is "it's too long". No it isn't-it's as long as I want it to be and in fact it's shorter than it could be if I rambled more as I have an opinion on everything. But I've been at this for almost 5 weeks (work gets in the way) and have a clock ticking in my head.

I am always very humbled that the same people read each review with enthusiasm and that lurkers come out of the dark. Some even post their first ever CC comment. That's very gratifying. My Celebrity Silhouette view has had over 203,000 reads while this will be lucky to see a third of that. The X board was very active at that time and the review has had 9 months to gather viewers.

Many Princess readers came over out of curiosity and I thank them all for that.

There's a distinct possibility that next year will see us take 2 Celebrity Cruises and Zero Princess as the Princess Northern European offering was a few Euro Capitals and we want the drama and beauty of Norway. This would be the first time in 5 years that we don't have a Princess booking. We have FCCs for the future though.

Thanks for being a continual reader and commenter!

Norris