Today's Dinner Dress Attire

dkotch23

I think you misread what was being said. Carnival has changed their policy so that dress shorts are allowed on casual nights. They are still not allowed on formal night.

This is not completely true. Some itineraries allow shorts even on elegant nights. I have uploaded pictures of the fun times on several occasions where it states they are acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From the Carnival website:

What to Wear - Evenings

Most evenings we have a 'Cruise Casual' dress code but there are those 'Cruise Elegant' evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire.

Lido Restaurant

For those who want casual attire for dinner, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly and has a more relaxed theme. Daytime Attire may be worn.

The Steakhouse

The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are not permitted.

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Evenings

The length of the cruise determines the number of 'Cruise Elegant' evenings in the Dining Room. The first 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd evening of the cruise and the second 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd evening prior to the end of the cruise, schedules permitting.

2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening

6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

Edited by First and Ten

Your vacation, wear what you want in the main dining room as long as its not a swimsuit or gym attire.

If you are the type that feels like your dinner is ruined because somebody is in the dining room with shorts and a polo shirt then maybe you need to be on Cunard, Crystal or Paul Gouguin instead of Carnival.

I will throw on some slacks and a polo for elegant night but one time we didn't realize it was elegant night and I showed up in shorts and polo shirt and nobody cared. If anyone didn't care for how I was dressed on elegant night then that's their problem, doesn't impact me as I enjoyed myself on the cruise and I will never see the snob again.

Who cares what another is wearing? You're not on Cunard.

You got that right! I was lurking on their threads and folks were on there slamming people for not wearing a jacket and tie on "Jacket Optional" nights! Sorry, if the cruise line itself says it's ok to not wear a jacket, why nail yourself to that cross voluntarily?

That being said, I think that's what really torques people on Carnival...that the cruise line specifically says NO jeans and shorts on Elegant Night, yet people insist on not following the dress code in the MDR and enforcement by staff is hit-or-miss. I myself dress up and just shake my head and those who flaunt the dress code, but I won't take matters into my own hands like the folks who John Heald was talking about today on FB.