Viking Star in Lerwick for Maiden Call - Video

roothy123

If anyone is on Star and would like to see the ship coming into Lerwick, Shetland Islands today for her maiden call, there's a video of it on this site: http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/market-cross

You'll have to scroll down to the comments sections to see the video.

I would attach a screenshot I took, but I have trouble sizing pictures properly for posting here, so I won't try.

I was surprised to see that, as reflected in the itinerary, she DID dock, not tender as most cruise ships do. I've never seen anything but ferries up north there at their dock. But Viking doesn't always do what other ships do, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. One Shetlander speculated that she wanted to dock to make it easier for people in wheelchairs. Whether right or wrong, I don't know, but in any case, I enjoyed seeing her stream into Lerwick. (We loved Lerwick when we were there on another cruise line.)

If anyone is on Star and would like to see the ship coming into Lerwick, Shetland Islands today for her maiden call, there's a video of it on this site: http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/market-cross

You'll have to scroll down to the comments sections to see the video.

I would attach a screenshot I took, but I have trouble sizing pictures properly for posting here, so I won't try.

I was surprised to see that, as reflected in the itinerary, she DID dock, not tender as most cruise ships do. I've never seen anything but ferries up north there at their dock. But Viking doesn't always do what other ships do, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. One Shetlander speculated that she wanted to dock to make it easier for people in wheelchairs. Whether right or wrong, I don't know, but in any case, I enjoyed seeing her stream into Lerwick. (We loved Lerwick when we were there on another cruise line.)

The Sea docked when she was there in June (Midnight Sun) and then passengers shuttled into town (5 minute ride). There is not a lot of space in the town center for tour buses so I can understand why docking outside of town is preferable to tendering into the town center.

It's surprising more ships don't dock, but I suppose most ships don't want to pay for a shuttle to downtown, or perhaps there's a higher charge to dock than to anchor in the harbor. We are pretty independent folks, so when we were there we loved being right there at the town center. However, there wasn't a complimentary tour offered to all on Oceania, so they probably didn't need as many buses lined up for excursions as Star, and delivering their passengers to the usual dock near Market Cross was easiest.

I didn't realize this was Star's first trans-Atlantic cruise. Good for her.

I know. When I first saw it, my reaction was "no way" does the Star come charging into a dock like that. It became more obvious when I watched this link and I could see cars and people zipping about. Anyway - this way you don't have to turn on the main video just to work your way down to the comment with the link. I clicked on the little paper airplane icon to get the video link.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know. When I first saw it, my reaction was "no way" does the Star come charging into a dock like that. It became more obvious when I watched this link and I could see cars and people zipping about. Anyway - this way you don't have to turn on the main video just to work your way down to the comment with the link. I clicked on the little paper airplane icon to get the video link.

No, they kind of glide into the dock and all of a sudden you realize that hey, we're not moving any more, we have docked, when did that happen?

But the video I saw on your link was of her departure not her arrival, so I think my browser is goofing up again.

Edited by Peregrina651

Interesting. Maybe I got shifted to the departure video. Now I'll have to putz about to get the direct link to the arrival video. Oooo! A challenge! What fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Driving myself nuts. Can find still pix of it arriving but no video. The chat board alive for sure talking about it. Sigh.

Mystery solved about the time compression. Not really videos but a huge number of still shots strung together into a video. "A fan-made video, no affiliation with the Shetland webcam team who maintain the cameras and who kindly allow me to make these little moving snapshots in time.".

Mystery solved about the time compression. Not really videos but a huge number of still shots strung together into a video. "A fan-made video, no affiliation with the Shetland webcam team who maintain the cameras and who kindly allow me to make these little moving snapshots in time.".

AKA time lapse photography. But a good way to handle it because no one really wants to watch 20 minutes of the ship moving through the harbor, no matter how beautiful the harbor is and no matter how majestically she is sailing along. Moreover, he has done a good job of it because the ship moves along smoothly and no one is getting seasick watching the ship jerk and lurch across the screen. Kudos to the film editor.

AKA time lapse photography. But a good way to handle it because no one really wants to watch 20 minutes of the ship moving through the harbor, no matter how beautiful the harbor is and no matter how majestically she is sailing along. Moreover, he has done a good job of it because the ship moves along smoothly and no one is getting seasick watching the ship jerk and lurch across the screen. Kudos to the film editor.

Yup. Agree. For a computer type like me, my brain says "time compression", but a photographer says "time lapse photography". And yes, it was well done. Harder than stitching together a series of photos into a smooth panorama even with software assist.

These photos came up on my Facebook feed tonight, just after I'd seen this thread. Thought some may find them of interest. They were taken by The Shetland Flyer (Facebook page name). It shows the Viking Star coming into Lerwick.

I'm quite new to this, so please forgive me if a) I'm not allowed to post such things and b) if it doesn't work! a841e959d7a93a07cd2b280d8ef648cf.jpge3114a88a55ef841d0a4a19363589b56.jpg

I didn't even realize the video wasn't really a video and that it was a series of stills. I just thought the person who posted it took a video and then speeded it up before posting it. I thought it was a bit weird that the tug boat following Star moves precisely with Star. i don't know if that happens in real life! In any case, I thought it was cool. Thanks to the person to found the actual link, as by now the video would be quite hard to find in the series of comments that came later.

The speedy video reminds me of one I saw of another cruise ship anchored off Bar Harbor, Maine. Some people don't realize how much a cruise ship rotates when anchored down with one anchor. I remember on the first cruise of Star, people were worried that she had dragged her anchor when they went on marinetraffic.com and saw the amazing, jerky movement Star made in an anchor port. It's just a natural occurrence, though. I'm not sure I can post an MP4 (don't know how to do it, or convert it) or I'd post it here just for fun. You see the ship zigging and zagging, clouds rolling in and out, and the tender boats zipping around like little ants doing a quick dance.

As for The Shetland Flyer's photos, wow! Those are amazing! Star is such a pretty ship, and those photos make her look fabulous. Of course, I suppose a bit of photoshopping or HDR editing was done. I think it was a bit grayer than the photos indicate.