Possible serious issues with water on the Empress

Hstergo

The bacteria in mold and mildew won't die from seltzer water no matter how long you soak it if that was the case people wouldn't need to spend tens of thousands of dollars when they are fighting mold in their houses they would just get some seltzer water.

I in no way meant to imply that the seltzer water would kill the bacteria or mold, I know that is not possible.

What I meant to convey was that if the soda heads are cleaned periodically, every other day or so as my friend does, by soaking them in seltzer water, Before the mold and bacteria form, and also drying them thoroughly each evening as he does, the mold and bacteria condition will not occur in the first place.

I've seen it first hand, the fizzing bubbling action from the carbon dioxide somehow does work, he then rinses them and dries them after he closes. I have never tasted that nasty taste in any drinks at his place.

I in no way meant to imply that the seltzer water would kill the bacteria or mold, I know that is not possible.

What I meant to convey was that if the soda heads are cleaned periodically, every other day or so as my friend does, by soaking them in seltzer water, Before the mold and bacteria form, and also drying them thoroughly each evening as he does, the mold and bacteria condition will not occur in the first place.

I've seen it first hand, the fizzing bubbling action from the carbon dioxide somehow does work, he then rinses them and dries them after he closes. I have never tasted that nasty taste in any drinks at his place.

Yes that I agree with you ... The club soda with help keep them clean. But the issue on the Empress is they are way past that to the point that you can smell it even when your in the shower so it's much more then keeping the soda fountain heads clean.

First of all it would have to be mildew:rolleyes:

What we have here is speculation and drama

Well if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

But one quick question, what do you think would be the cause of drinking water that smells like mildew and tastes like it smells ?

But one quick question, what do you think would be the cause of drinking water that smells like mildew and tastes like it smells ?

Numerous things, an anode rod for example. Minerals in the water like iron.

like I said, all speculation, your last word

Edited by setsail

It may be speculation as to the cause of the smell/taste, but I would still not be happy at all to be on a ship with water I didn't want to drink! I hope they fix the issue soon!

Sorry iron does not smell and taste like mildew... You took what I said about the water on a RC ship way too personal do you work for the company? or you just do this to raise your post count like others have said on some of the other threads you comment on ?

Edited by Hstergo

Algae, possibly. A lot of municipal water plants have that problem occasionally. Assuming the water's being tested, it's not really a health issue, but it definitely affects the taste/appeal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My DH is a retired HVAC Engineer. He's worked on Naval ships. If water tastes like mildew and smells like mildew, then it is mildew. The water tanks/tubing have to be maintained. Many tanks are on the ship and only a few may be affected. It can lead to Leagenaire's and other health problems. If the A/C water is recycled and not treated right, that could be another issue.

We experienced this problem on Nordic Empress in the early 90's.

I’ve been on Empress the last three weeks piling up C&A points. It’s been overall a pleasant experience. I would show up every morning about 5 am for coffee and water outside the Windjammer. Almost every day, I was impressed to see a crew member thoroughly cleaning the water dispenser with alcohol.

Nevertheless, the water DOES have a taste. On some days it’s better than others. It doesn’t matter if it’s in the Windjammer or MDR. It’s detectable in the water and the tea.