Possible serious issues with water on the Empress

Hstergo

Just got home from a cruise on the Empress of the Seas and there is something really wrong with the water on the ship. All the fountain drinks and water tastes and smells like mildew or algae. It even happened when you turned on the faucet or shower.

Drinking water, soda or ice tea that has algae or mildew can not be a safe thing.

Where you comped? I'd hate to smell like mildew after a shower.

Where you given free water to drink?

What did they do about the water/ice used for drinks?

We sailed her when she was Nordic Empress and had the same problem. Now decades later, it still isn't fixed? Come on. Royal!:cool:

No I was not comped at all and was not even offered an explanation... They reluctantly refunded my two soda packages when I refused to pay $ 100 for 12 cans of soda that they offered me. They did not even offer a single bottle of water for me and my family.

No I was not comped at all and was not even offered an explanation... They reluctantly refunded my two soda packages when I refused to pay $ 100 for 12 cans of soda that they offered me. They did not even offer a single bottle of water for me and my family.

I think i would have "squeaked louder" My now deceased mother could have gotten you a free cruise...........she did for us. The water was the swamps!!

Call resolutions for a future cruise discount.

I'm glad someone else noticed this! Well, I'm not glad actually. ;)

We were on Empress in June and noticed that the water in the main dining room had a very bad taste. We thought maybe it was the ice machine causing it, and had the assistant waiter bring us water without ice. It tasted the same. No one else around us seemed to be bothered by it, so we kept quiet after that. But it really tasted like something was wrong, so we drank very little at dinner.

However, the water in the Windjammer tasted fine.

I think i would have "squeaked louder" My now deceased mother could have gotten you a free cruise...........she did for us. The water was the swamps!!

Call resolutions for a future cruise discount.

The moment I got home I was on the phone with them... They said since the cruise ended a few hours ago they didn't have the incident downloaded yet.

I will keep everyone posted on the final outcome

Just got home from a cruise on the Empress of the Seas and there is something really wrong with the water on the ship. All the fountain drinks and water tastes and smells like mildew or algae. It even happened when you turned on the faucet or shower.

Drinking water, soda or ice tea that has algae or mildew can not be a safe thing.

It's just old ships water tank taste.

The mold and mildew tastes from the fountain sodas and from the bars is from not cleaning the heads. They need to be cleaned periodically simply by soaking them in seltzer water. That cleans them and keeps the mold away. I learned that from a friend who owns a bar. As far as the shower????

I also got off this morning. We drank water in the dining room, windjammer, from the dispenser on the pool deck and from the tap in the room without any issues. The water did not smell at all strange coming from our shower. I did not drink any fountain soda this cruise so I can not comment on that. I drank more water than usual because I decided the price of the soda package was too high

Sent from my VS985 4G using Forums mobile app

The mold and mildew tastes from the fountain sodas and from the bars is from not cleaning the heads. They need to be cleaned periodically simply by soaking them in seltzer water. That cleans them and keeps the mold away. I learned that from a friend who owns a bar. As far as the shower????

The bacteria in mold and mildew won't die from seltzer water no matter how long you soak it if that was the case people wouldn't need to spend tens of thousands of dollars when they are fighting mold in their houses they would just get some seltzer water.

I also got off this morning. We drank water in the dining room, windjammer, from the dispenser on the pool deck and from the tap in the room without any issues. The water did not smell at all strange coming from our shower. I did not drink any fountain soda this cruise so I can not comment on that. I drank more water than usual because I decided the price of the soda package was too high

Sent from my VS985 4G using Forums mobile app

There were five of us on at the same time you were and we all could taste it and smell it. Let's put it this way it was so bad guest services and the the bar manager for the entire ship didn't even bother denying it or at least say they were going to look into the problem.

The bacteria in mold and mildew won't die from seltzer water no matter how long you soak it if that was the case people wouldn't need to spend tens of thousands of dollars when they are fighting mold in their houses they would just get some seltzer water.

I think that the person that posted about the soda water just articulated the statement incorrectly. I worked at a place with a soda machine for 12 years. Soaking the heads in seltzer water won't get rid of mildew, but it will prevent it from forming if you soak them every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The old Norway's water did not taste or smell like that!,,, No excuse:confused:
What does the old Norwayt have to do with anything.:rolleyes: I have sailed on many old ships and have tasted good & bad tasting water. I was just on Empress in early September and know the taste & smell the OP was talking about. Sometime during the cruise they switched tanks and the water tasted OK.