Hurricane Threat

Mr. SAS

To the person whose brother "Bill" is dictating the vacation decisions for everyone on the board.... "Please stop and leave the forecasting to the professionals"...

For itinerary changes, there is a LOT in the works now... Given the uncertainty of the forecast, they are most likely holding off the see what the forecasts are (again, brother Bill, please refrain from calling them) so they can divert appropriately. Ships are safer at sea where they can sail around the storm than at the dock where they can be sloshed around... The call will be when and what ports are closing and the ultimate direction of the storm so a safe passage around him can be determined. The cruise lines EOC teams have I am sure been activated and are monitoring and will not put their ships or passengers in harms way!

Generally I only hear about port shifts for Mexico ports but if I hear anything I will for sure post it...

I have friends on the Dream returning to New Orleans tomorrow... has this storm affected their sailing.... will they be able to return to port? anyone have info on this?

The hurricane is just off the coast of South America now and forecasted to go over the Bahamas mid week next week... Why on earth would it affect New Orleans tomorrow??? Safe to say, all ok!

Edited by poz222

To the person whose brother "Bill" is dictating the vacation decisions for everyone on the board.... "Please stop and leave the forecasting to the professionals"...

For itinerary changes, there is a LOT in the works now... Given the uncertainty of the forecast, they are most likely holding off the see what the forecasts are (again, brother Bill, please refrain from calling them) so they can divert appropriately. Ships are safer at sea where they can sail around the storm than at the dock where they can be sloshed around... The call will be when and what ports are closing and the ultimate direction of the storm so a safe passage around him can be determined. The cruise lines EOC teams have I am sure been activated and are monitoring and will not put their ships or passengers in harms way!

Generally I only hear about port shifts for Mexico ports but if I hear anything I will for sure post it...

I think Bill's brother is the one who cancelled his cruise from Baltimore because of Hurricane Matthew. I think his wife kicked him out of the house dor canceling too soon. He's obviously spending too much time with Bill since he's probably sleeping on Bill's couch. He's hoping others cancel so he isn't the only one. The Baltimore cruise could have always gone North to Canada to avoid the hurrican, no need to cancel.

Don't worry about it. Carnival takes good care of their guest! My family and I were out during Hurricane Katrina. We were kept abreast of the storm by the Captain. At one point we were 80 miles from the eye of the storm. We were-routed to Ft. Lauderdale and transportation was handled by Carnival and we arrived home safe.

Focus on having a wonderful Carnival

Edited by ccdaniel2707

My family and I are booked on the Dream departing from New Orleans on Sunday with ports of call in Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. Our kids will be out of school on fall break, so we rolled the dice with booking during hurricane season.

Of course, six days before our departure, a tropical disturbance is forming in the Atlantic. The National Hurricane Center is "predicting" a track right across our cruise path for late next week.

Does anyone have any experience with how the cruise line handles a hurricane threat? I can only imagine how much lost revenue a cruise would suffer from drink sales alone if they got anywhere near a major storm. I can envision a "worst case scenario" where Carnival might just write off Belize and Roatan and we hit Progreso, Cozumel and Key West instead.

Thoughts?

We are on this cruise as well. This storm is in the Atlantic not the Gulf.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Lady Bebop... Off topic, but who's your fav bebop artist? Hopefully not the S. Korean pop group.:rolleyes:

Who? :confused:

I enjoy listening to them all but have a preference for Dr. Roach, as I met him several times in the 70s; Bud Powell; Red Callender; and Eddie"lock Jaw" Davis.

Love Miles, but he only dabbled in bebop. Can't go wrong with Charlie "Bird" Parker.

Not to be to dramatic, but I urge those travelling to the Caribbean on any of the boats to rethink your decisions. My brother Bill was being me this will be the deadliest hurricane since Katrina. It is so big and destructive, they are looking at catagorying it at a Cat 6. Would be a first. Please, if you decide to go against my advice, make sure you have your life vests with you at all times!

You do realize dont you that Carnival is not going to sail right into a hurricane.Also its kind of late to "rethink your decisions" since the cruises are paid for and Carnival does not give refunds if we cancel.Please post a link to something showing where they are looking at making it a Cat 6 hurricane.

:mad:

Hi guys, I am new to this forum but not to cruising. A travel agent friend of mine told me join this site to get info for the current hurricane. I am supposed to leave out of Port Canaveral tomorrow on the Carnival Victory scheduled to go to 2 ports in the Bahamas. Obviously that will not happen but do you know if they will change from the Atlantic to the Gulf at all? I don't know if that is something they customarily do...I have to say I am nervous about coming back into port.

For the cruise leaving tomorrow to the northern Bahamas I would not think that anything will change... Weather right now and tomorrow and Tuesday is forecasted to be nice... Hurricane is expected to make its way NW and reach the Bahamas Thursday... So I think you'll be fine. Weather here in Florida has been sunny, calm, seas and the usual Hot and afternoon thunderstorms...

Not to be to dramatic, but I urge those travelling to the Caribbean on any of the boats to rethink your decisions. My brother Bill was being me this will be the deadliest hurricane since Katrina. It is so big and destructive, they are looking at catagorying it at a Cat 6. Would be a first. Please, if you decide to go against my advice, make sure you have your life vests with you at all times!

Good lord. Please stop fear-mongering.

They will do a cruise to nowhere before putting anyone at risk. And I would love some proof of anyone saying category six being that no such thing exists at this point. It stops at five which is catastrophic damage. No need to go any higher.

And keep your hands and feet inside the boat.

Hi guys, I am new to this forum but not to cruising. A travel agent friend of mine told me join this site to get info for the current hurricane. I am supposed to leave out of Port Canaveral tomorrow on the Carnival Victory scheduled to go to 2 ports in the Bahamas. Obviously that will not happen but do you know if they will change from the Atlantic to the Gulf at all? I don't know if that is something they customarily do...I have to say I am nervous about coming back into port.

Ok, so your travel agent told you to come here for the latest scoop on Matthew. All we do here is repeat what you can learn on your own, often along with much useless distraction thrown in.

Why not just go here:

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2016/Hurricane-Matthew

Or here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Do your homework, then come back and ask opinions or give your own.

Also, aside from perhaps having some rough seas, you have nothing to be nervous or worried about. The cruise line will keep you safe.

Carnival just posted the changes to the Victory itinerary. Looks like they have reversed Nassau and Freeport and have us back to the port at 7:00 am (earlier) on Thursday. I am concerned as well, coming back into port with the tropical storm type winds that they are predicting for Thursday. Of course this is all subject to change depending on where this storm goes and how fast.

Weather Update – 10/1/16 – 10:00PM (EST)

We continue to monitor Hurricane Matthew in the Caribbean. Due to the impact this strong hurricane is expected to have on our course and planned destinations for some of our ships, we have made the following changes to ships sailing this weekend.

Carnival Ecstasy – 10/2/16 departure

We will need to cancel our calls in Half Moon Cay, Nassau and Freeport and replace them with a visit to Cozumel, Mexico. Additionally, we will be sailing one hour earlier in order to stay ahead of the storm. We ask guests to deduct one hour from their selected check-in window time. Please find the new itinerary below.

Day*****Port*****************************************************Arrival**************Departure

Sun******Charleston, SC*************************************************************3:00PM

Mon*****Fun Day @ Sea

Tue*****Fun Day @ Sea

Wed*****Cozumel, Mexico********************************8:00AM***********10:00PM

Thu*****Fun Day @ Sea

Fri********Fun Day @ Sea

Sat*******Charleston, SC***********************************6:30AM

Carnival Pride – 10/2/16 departure

We will need to cancel our calls in Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport and replace them with visits to New York and Saint John, New Brunswick. Please find the new itinerary below.

Day*****Port*****************************************************Arrival**************Departure

Sun******Baltimore, MD*************************************************************4:30PM

Mon*****Fun Day @ Sea

Tue*****New York, NY*************************************8:00AM***********4:00PM

Wed*****Fun Day @ Sea

Thu*****Saint John, NB************************************8:00AM***********4:00PM

Fri********Fun Day @ Sea

Sat*******Fun Day @ Sea

Sun******Baltimore, MD*************************************9:00AM

Carnival Victory – 10/2/16 departure

Sun******Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL*************************************4:30PM

Mon*****Nassau, The Bahamas***********************8:00AM***********5:00PM

Tue*****Freeport, The Bahamas**********************8:00AM***********5:00PM

Wed*****Fun Day @ Sea

Thu*****Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL*************7:00AM

All other sailings departing on or after Sunday, October 2, 2016 continue to operate as scheduled.**In the event we need to make a change to an itinerary, we will update our guests.**

As always, the safety of our guests is our number one concern and our ships will maintain a safe distance from the storm at all times.

For the latest information regarding your sailing, please continue to monitor our website.**We will post the next update after 8:00PM on Sunday, October 2, 2016.

Looks like the Ectasy will be in Cozumel (Wednesday) instead of Bahamas.... And just heard the Pride folks from Balimore are REALLY in for a shock... Looks like going to New York and St. John's New Brunswick (so unpack the swimsuits folks)... Uugggh

The pride is going to New York City and St. John.

Not quite the vacation I was planning since all we brought was warm weather clothes. Oh well it's still better than being at work.

We will be safe, and now I have the chance to see the 911 memorial that we've wanted to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The pride is going to New York City and St. John.

Not quite the vacation I was planning since all we brought was warm weather clothes. Oh well it's still better than being at work.

We will be safe, and now I have the chance to see the 911 memorial that we've wanted to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

AWSOME attitude!

As far as I'm concerned a vacation is whatever you make it. Go into it with the right attitude and you will have fun no matter what changes they make. Or you can be miserable the whole time, it's totally up to you.

As far as cancelling, people on the ships will most likely be outside of the storm paths and far safer than anyone on land. Coming in and out of port is probably the only time they will hit the rough weather and they will shut the ports down and not dock, cancelling the cruise or staying out at sea until the danger passes if needed.

This isn't the first hurricane, not sure why everyone acts like this every time one hits. They know what they are doing. There's always a slim chance something could go wrong but that slim chance is always there when you are out in the middle of the ocean, don't fool yourself into thinking a cruise is 100% safe just because there isn't a hurricane brewing when you go. Lots of other dangers are out there. You can't live your life scared of those slim what ifs, if you do then maybe cruising isn't the best vacation for you.

Directly from the NWS/NHC. Their forecast discussions can be very interesting. In an earlier discussion about Matthew they confirmed that NONE of the hurricane forecast models predicted the abrupt increase in Matthew's strength to a Cat 5...the first Cat 5 hurricane in the Atlantic basin since 2007.

HURRICANE MATTHEW DISCUSSION NUMBER 16

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

1100 PM EDT SAT OCT 01 2016

Recent satellite images suggest that the structure of Matthew has

changed little, and the winds are still estimated at 130 kt. The

hurricane should experience some weakening during the next couple of

days, but Matthew is forecast to remain a powerful hurricane until

it interacts with the high terrain of Hispaniola and eastern Cuba in

about 48 hours or so. Once Matthew reaches the Bahamas, the

upper-level environment and warm waters will favor some

restrengthening. In the mean time, some short-term fluctuations in

intensity are possible due to internal dynamics, including eyewall

replacement cycles, that are not included here. A better estimate

of the intensity can be obtained when the next Air Force plane

reaches Matthew at about 1130 UTC [Greenwich Mean Time] Sunday.

A very convenient SSMIS [satellite] pass at 0006 GMT was helpful in locating the

eye of Matthew, and after a period of little or no motion, the

hurricane has apparently begun a north-northwest track at about 6

kt. The steering pattern has not changed, and the motion of the

hurricane for the next 2 to 3 days remains controlled by a

mid-level ridge over the western Atlantic and a developing mid-level

trough in the southern Gulf of Mexico and the northwestern

Caribbean Sea. This flow pattern will steer Matthew toward the

north-northwest and north toward western Haiti, eastern Cuba,

and Jamaica during the next day or so. This portion of the NHC

forecast track was shifted eastward following the trend of the

overall guidance, primarily the multi-model consensus. Beyond 72

hours, given the large spread of the guidance, the confidence in the

track is low.

It is important to remind users that average NHC track forecast

errors are around 175 miles at day 4 and 230 miles at day 5.

Therefore, it is too soon to rule out possible hurricane impacts

from Matthew in Florida.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 02/0300Z 13.8N 73.6W 130 KT 150 MPH

12H 02/1200Z 14.2N 73.8W 125 KT 145 MPH

24H 03/0000Z 15.3N 74.4W 120 KT 140 MPH

36H 03/1200Z 16.7N 74.4W 115 KT 130 MPH

48H 04/0000Z 18.3N 74.3W 110 KT 125 MPH

72H 05/0000Z 22.0N 74.5W 100 KT 115 MPH

96H 06/0000Z 25.0N 75.0W 100 KT 115 MPH

120H 07/0000Z 27.5N 75.5W 100 KT 115 MPH

$$

Forecaster Avila

Going to be on the Splendor leaving today. Our itinerary has been changed in that we will be in Cozumel rather than Jamaica on Tuesday. But wondering what the weather conditions will be in Cozumel on that day. We're supposed to do a beach day...:confused: Just wondering what to expect...windy...rain...?

This will be our first "sea vacation" during a hurricane...:cool:

Edited by GalCruzer

Going to be on the Splendor leaving today. Our itinerary has been changed in that we will be in Cozumel rather than Jamaica on Tuesday. But wondering what the weather conditions will be in Cozumel on that day. We're supposed to do a beach day...:confused: Just wondering what to expect...windy...rain...?

This will be our first "sea vacation" during a hurricane...:cool:

We will be on the Dream and we port in Cozumel on Tues as well and weather.com says there is only a 40% chance of rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app