Best Night for UBD on an Eastbound TA?

LynnMW3

We'll be on the Crown in April in an Emerald deck (covered) mini for an eastbound TA...my first inclination would be to do UBD on a port night after the crossing, but that will be towards the end of the cruise...I'd like to enjoy the dinner and have the flowers for more than a few days, if it's reasonable.

My questions: (1) how is the wind during the crossing? Would it interfere with enjoyment of a balcony dinner? (2) might it be too chilly to enjoy an al fresco dinner in early to mid-April?

What has been your experience with UBD during a crossing, or what is your opinion as to having the dinner early in the cruise during the crossing or waiting until we hit the ports during the second half of the cruise?

Thanks all!

The weather will be much warmer during the first days of your cruise & would be my recommendation.

I sailed a mid-April TA cruise that ended in Copenhagen & sailed via the Azores. The first sea day was 79° and beginning on second sea day it was 70° until the Azores. The sea days to Cobh Ireland were about 60° and then about 50° during the remainder of the cruise & days in port. On most days the winds were force 3 (gentle breeze 8-12 mph) or 4 (moderate breeze 13-18 mph) on the Beaufort scale.

Our routing to Cobh was scheduled to sail north via Halifax but was rerouted further south via the Azores due to a North Atlantic storm.

Obviously conditions will vary but I'd plan the UBD as soon as possible after sailing from Port Everglades or bundle up to have it during sailaway from one of your European ports.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I agree with Astro Flyer about doing it early in the cruise, assuming you will be starting from FLL. WE did an EB TA this spring, and the only warm weather we had was the first few days out of FLL. Once we got east of Bermuda, it would have been too chilly to spend the amount of time needed for the UBD on the balcony. The waters of the Atlantic will not have warmed up from winter by then.